PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a light build

EWC88
08/11/2008, 09:58 AM
Hey everyone I decided that I'm going to go with a MH system for my 37g tank thats going be housing all sorts of corals/clams.

Now I'm going be building a canopy for this tank cause I can get any light system that will sit on top of the tank since its a weird demension and I do not want one that hangs from my ceiling or clips on the back.

SO I need everyones help one what kind of bulb I should get, ballast, reflector, wiring, etc. Basically everything I need, oh yea and also I want to get some type of LED lighting to have that at night any ideas? Also for the bulb I don't know if this determines which one to get but I want to have a clean crisp lighting to show off all the colors of the corals, as well as a slight tint of blue in the bulb.

Heres the tank measurements:

Length: 20 1/4"

High: 24 3/4"

Width: 18"

To give a idea on what corals I was looking at heres a list:

Brain Coral (maybe)
Torch Coral
Hammer/ Anchor Coral
Flower Pot Coral
Bubble coral (maybe)
Lavander Mushroom (maybe)
Polyps
Acropora
Ricoprdea
Australian Aeathastree Lordhumansis (maybe)
Zoanthids
Clam

Thanks everyone!

rustybucket145
08/11/2008, 10:04 AM
That's a deep tank..... I'd say 250w minimum, 400w wouldn't hurt with a 24" deep tank. For the blue crisp light you'll be looking at 14k or 20k bulbs. The 20k will be bluer.

B/C of the height I'd also suggest going high end on your reflector or else you're just going to be wasting light. Check out the Lumenarc reflectors. They are pricey, but well worth the extra money in saved light.

greggnyce
08/11/2008, 10:37 AM
You can usually find the lumenarcs used for a good price.

crvz
08/11/2008, 11:23 AM
I think rustybucket nailed it, a 250W with a 14kK bulb would probably be in my mind.

EWC88
08/11/2008, 12:12 PM
ok thanks guys any brands on ballast and bulbs?

rustybucket145
08/11/2008, 12:39 PM
Depends.... do you want to spend a ton of money and get great great results... or do you want to save some cheese and only get great results?

I'm a fan of the Magnetic ballasts b/c they're available for under $60 locally at the local electrical supply house. I know the electronics last longer...etc but I can go through 4 magnetics for the price of 1 electronic. I'm also a fan of the mid price range bulbs. No need to spend $100 on a bulb. You can find one on ebay or hello lights for $40ish.

Since looks are your number 1 concern, I'd prolly lean toward the 20k.

EWC88
08/11/2008, 01:12 PM
Whats the difference between magnetic and eltrical ballast?

EWC88
08/11/2008, 06:49 PM
Would it be better for my to buy the bulb, reflector, ballast and wiring seprate or should I buy a pendent such like this one http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172
and then get the bulb and ballast?

EWC88
08/12/2008, 07:31 PM
anyone?

greggnyce
08/12/2008, 08:05 PM
Retrofit kits are good if you are mounting them yourself in the canopy, but pendants are good for hanging over the tank.

EWC88
08/12/2008, 08:14 PM
Ok so I will just go with a Retrofit kit since I am force to build a canopy for this tank.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the ballast?

Also what can I do with the LED moonlight affect I would like to have during the night?

alpha0r
08/12/2008, 09:31 PM
I'm not exactly sure how the internals of an electronic vs. magnetic ballast work but in general an electronic ballast costs more, runs cooler, is more energy efficient, and lasts longer. I have an EVC tech electronic ballast which I am very happy with. You can get a 250w model for right at 100 bucks (if they still make them?).

I agree you should go with a 250w bulb in the 14-20k range and the reflector is very important. Don't skimp on the reflector! The luminbright III looks sweet.

I have used both the XM20k and Phoenix 14K. The XM looks better but the Phoenix has much better growth. The Phoenix is a nice crisp white with a blue hue while the XM is quite blue but does make the corals fluoresce nicely.

EWC88
08/13/2008, 08:21 PM
Ok so it looks like the best bang for the buck is to go with the eletric ballast so I will go with that cause I want something that will last and is alot safer..bulb I think I'm as well as going to go with 14k and probably the Phoenix brand cause I see alot of reefers on here who use them. As far as reflector I think I will go with the Lumenarc reflector. Is the luminbright III made by them?

Another quesiton I have is I know I'm going need some air getting into my canopy to help keep it cool for the lights, so should I put 2 fans in there blwoing air at the light or one blowing air at it in one direction and one fan blowing the heat air out on the opposite side?

Also anyone with ideas on the moonlight affect?

stricknine
08/13/2008, 08:37 PM
what comes in must come out and vise versa.. An exhaust fan will be more effective than an intake fan. the exhaust fan will release the hot air and suck in fresh from any non airtight seal. an intake (only) will spend more time recirculating hot air than bringing in fresh air as the air you want to replace has nowhere to go. exhaust first, replacement (intake) air to follow if necessary. (to speed up the air cycling)

EWC88
08/13/2008, 08:55 PM
Ok so you think I should do 2 fans to blow out the heat coming from the bulb? And maybe have a opening somewere on the back that has no fan or anything in it just allowing air in or out or is that not neccesary as well?

Also I just thought what would be a good brand to get for a ballast? I heard that matters

EWC88
09/25/2008, 07:32 PM
Question for the kit, I noticed they have the the single ended and double ended, which one is best for me to get?