PDA

View Full Version : JBJ HQI 28 Gal Skimmer Replacement?

Buckeyes12
08/11/2008, 11:11 AM
I'm looking to upgrade the stock skimmer on my JBJ HQI 28 gal nano. I am looking for something that fits in the back compartment where the stock skimmer is now without having to do any drilling. I had read some good things about the Tunze 9002 but saw that you had to cut the lid in order to get it to fit, as well as cut the magnet off the side. If this is the case, is it hard to do? I prefer not to do any cutting to the lid so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

Erin

Illuminati
08/11/2008, 11:33 AM
I got the Tunze. Still looking into cutting off the magnet. Might take a dremel to it and see how it works.

As for the collection cup there is a member on Nano-Reef.com named StevieT who sells new custom cups for around $30 to fit without having to cut into the hood.

if I can get the magnet off I plan on getting one.

Buckeyes12
08/11/2008, 12:47 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much. I would like to get the Tunze as well, I just wasnt sure if it would work. I'm going to see if I can contact StevieT about getting a cup and then go from there. I also thought about the Deltec MC600 and AquaC Remora but thought that the Tunze 9002 would be my best bet and wanted to see how others liked it as well as others.

ukguy
08/11/2008, 12:51 PM
So I recently did this mod.

The lid is paperthin, so the dremel went through it a bit too quickly, not the straightest cut.

Magnet was a bit more tricky, I cut the plastic suround for the magnet, but the magnet is plastic bonded to the Nano frame. ended up snapping about 1/2 a dime size hole in the process, but I just epoxy'd the hole.

Once you've taken off the magnet, the Tunze is then slightly too small to stay the right height, so I ended up making an epoxy hump on the side of the Tunze, so it would be a much tighter fit.

I wasn't aware of those cups. from StevieT, but they're a bit ugly looking. They would look better in thiner material.

Illuminati
08/11/2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks again for great info ukguy :)

My goal is to get started on getting this skimmer installed and fear of the magnet removal was holding me back.

ukguy
08/11/2008, 08:54 PM
so my Tunze was 2/3rds the price, because it was 2nd hand when I bought it, when I took it apart, I wasn't that impressed with the Tunze design, its just a tube skimmer, in a rectangular box. It obviously works, but I thought it would be counterflow or something wizzy.

The plastic that holds the magnet is plastic soldered around the edges, and theres a dollop of plastic solder under the magnet sticking it to the case, so even by dremelling the sides, you're still going to have to try and dremel or lever the magnet away.

Anyway, be careful when you start going at the magnet, the case of the tunze is micro-thin, and I think thats how I cracked mine. Not that it matters because the magnet is below the waterline, so any cracks around the magnet location wont harm the functioning of the skimmer especially as that side will be pressing against your bulkhead anyway.

Basically I don't think theres anything bad you can do to the Tunze skimmer, its not sophisticated, and any holes/cracks can easily be patched with frag epoxy, so get going on those modifications!

Illuminati
08/11/2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Took another look at it and might start whacking away at it in a couple days :)

Buckeyes12
08/12/2008, 08:27 AM
Have y'all heard anything about the AquaC Remora?

Chubba Tang
08/12/2008, 04:49 PM
i have the hang on Deltec MCE 300 Protein skimmer

Buckeyes12
08/13/2008, 11:20 AM
does the pump and return from the skimmer fit in back where the stock skimmer goes?

melanotaenia
08/13/2008, 12:22 PM
the Aqua C sucks; the Deltec is awesome, but you have to be careful about the collection cup overflowing onto the floor if you don't have it dialed in perfectly since it is an external skimmer; I prefer the Tunze as it sits inside of the tank and I am really a fan of this design as long as you have an ATO or another device to keep the water level constant; this is a very important aspect to consider with any internal skimmer; lack of proper levels cause skimmer levels to fluctuate and can decrease the efficiency of the skimmer dramatically.

If you have the dough, get the Deltec; since it is an external skimmer, you don't have to worry as much about keeping water levels constant.

HTH

Buckeyes12
08/13/2008, 02:44 PM
Chubba Tang, tell me more about the Deltec MCE300 please.. I looked it up and think I might be interested in that one.. especially since everyone keeps saying that the Deltec's seem to work the best

Chubba Tang
08/13/2008, 03:00 PM
Hi there Buckeyes12 from the UK. I have the Deltec newly installed and it is hangin on the rear of the tank. The inlet pump which is attached to a MJ1200 pump sucks up the water from whichever section you put it in and make sure you fill the skimmer with saltwater first and also make sure the air hose is fully closed until water is returned. The collection cup is huge in my opinion and no risk of overflowing. will post pick soon. camera unavailable to the moment.

Any pics of your tank current setup?

Also have the Tunze Auto Top up 3155 to setup.

Buckeyes12
08/14/2008, 08:42 AM
I do not have any pictures of my setup. I lost my camera and still need to get a new one.. I am currently running everything stock still. The skimmer would be my first replacement. Did you have to do any cutting or modifications to the Deltec MCE300? or is it plug and play?

Chubba Tang
08/14/2008, 02:44 PM
some dremmeling is required on the return tube but apart from that pretty much plug and play.

have some photos but how do you upload?

KJAhp098
08/17/2008, 07:46 PM
you can use www.photobucket.com

Buckeyes12
08/17/2008, 07:49 PM
What all did you have to dremel on the Deltec MCE300?

bkelley02
10/15/2008, 11:50 AM
Can anybody post some pics?