PDA

View Full Version : Golden Heart Trigger question? Odd behavior maybe?

sportyrox
08/11/2008, 03:06 PM
Well I have had my little pig of a Golden Heart Trigger for about 2 months now. My question is all he does is sit at the top of the tank looking for food. Now I am not a novice, I can tell the difference between a fish stressed and one waiting for his next meal. He will hit the hood with his mouth, bite at the therm, and basically just looks obsessed with food. Is this normal? He never just explores his habitat, he just stares at me while I am on the computer/watching tv like he is just waiting for me to feed him. Is the mentally healthy lol?

Recty
08/11/2008, 03:13 PM
Have you tried feeding him until he simply is uninterested in food anymore? I'm not saying dump a gallon of food in the tank, just keep putting in small pieces until he finally ignores one.

Maybe you simply arent feeding as much. Triggers are active fish and require lots of food, especially I would think if they are small and growing fast.

sportyrox
08/11/2008, 04:43 PM
I feed him roughly 2 times a day. Either krill or silversides......and they are large portions so I "think" if anything I am overfeeding him.

Recty
08/11/2008, 05:13 PM
I'd still try feeding him as I suggested and see if the behavior goes away.

As far as your fish being mentally healthy, I'm sure he is doing just fine in there. He is either bored or hungry. Smaller triggers probably dont get just one or two big meals a day, they are normally spaced out all through the day, most young/small fish appreciate that type of feeding a lot more than one or two large ones a day.

It cant hurt anything to try feeding him to satiation with small pieces of food until he is so stuffed he wont eat anymore. Do that for a day and see if the behavior goes away.

Or get some more interesting decorations in the tank, something for him to explore and pick through to keep himself busy. You didnt mention what size tank this is and any other livestock.

reefer334
08/12/2008, 04:36 PM
This is very normal.

Triggers and puffers are always hungry!!!

You could also deworm him with praziquantrel,
as he could have worms.

Chris