PDA

View Full Version : Coraline Algae- New lights hurt it's growth?

Everyones Hero
08/11/2008, 04:05 PM
Right now I've got 4 pieces of LR that had a little bit of coralline growth when I first got them. Right now they're all under a 65w PC light & a standard FLO bulb.

Over the last 2 months or so the growth has really seemed to pickup & I can imagine at it's current growth it could easily cover the rocks in a little over a year.

I have a 4x54w T5 setup coming in & I'm concerned that the increased lighting might slow the coralline's growth. Could that happen or am I worried for no reason?

The reason I'm asking is because I hear so many people have issues getting good coralline growth, but I've managed to get a good bit of it to grow under what is considered less than ideal conditions in just a matter of months.

Thanks for any input.

If anyone's wondering- I've got some green, some red, & a lot of purple growing. I've got one rock that I call my joker rock because it's white with green & purple coralline growing on it.

kau_cinta_ku
08/11/2008, 04:54 PM
you may see some die off with the new lights but the coraline will adjust to the new lights and start to grow again.

Everyones Hero
08/11/2008, 05:19 PM
Cool. Will the growth be better than it is already?

I want to be able to keep corals, hence the new lights. But if I could get them both to grow, with the coralline at it's current rate I'd be really happy.

kau_cinta_ku
08/11/2008, 05:21 PM
it's hard to say, some ppl stated that their coraline growth slowed down when they upgraded thir lights, others didn't notice much of a change in growth.