PDA

View Full Version : Solaris I4

fatdaddy
08/12/2008, 09:08 AM
Has anybody had good luck with these lights? I have anemones and coral, so I need a bright light. I currently use MH lights which I like a lot.

One light says 400watt / 15,000 Kelvin equiv. But, what does 400 watt equiv mean? That's not very much light.

Mark426
08/12/2008, 09:12 AM
Dont get me wrong...but...if you want an overpriced, LOW QUALITY, Chinese fixture that has a 50% chance of already being broken when it arrives and a 90% chance of failing within a year...go ahead.

I wont hold back next time. :)

Mark

p.s. Yes...I owned a Solaris fixture. The key word is OWNED..as in the past tense.

pdfb55
08/12/2008, 07:31 PM
I have one. It actually has been really good except for I had one strip of lights go out and a ballast. Both were replaced promptly. Even with both of those incidents they are less matenence than metal halides.

cdmurphy
08/12/2008, 07:43 PM
I have the I series and it has worked flawlessly since day one. I received it at the beginning of March and I've had alot of growth on my softies, LPS and Clams. The few SPS that I've managed to keep alive are now starting to show good growth as well.

rockworm
08/13/2008, 08:37 AM
fatdaddy, you may want to check out Solaris issues thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1445940) There are discussions on some of the problems encountered as well as references form other users.

The 400w equaivalent refers to a 400w MH light. I have the 72" I4, so I would be comparing the Solaris to 3 x 400w that would be used over a 6 foot tank. There is another thread that deals a lot with this light comparison and whether or not it is valid. I think is called Holy Solaris Batman, or something like that, in the Lighting, Filtration forum.

I have had a problem with mine, but PFO was quick to rectify it. It is too soon for me to comment on any impact on hard corals as my tank has just finished cycling. However, I am still glad I got it and sure hope it works for SPS as I have it over a tank that will be predominately SPS. Time will tell, but I AM optomistic.