PDA

View Full Version : Enough filtration?

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 01:57 PM
I need to know if I have enough filtration for my reef setup.

Here is what I have:

FISH
2 Percula Clowns
1 Leopard Wrasse
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Six Line Wrasse
(will be adding 1 Royal Gramma + 2 Anthias)

CLEANUP CREW
6 Snails
1 Decorator Crab
At least 2 small Hermit Crabs
(will be adding 6 more snails and 2 more Hermit and 1 Coral Banded Shrimp)

CORALS
encrusting gorgonia
toadstool
duncan polyps
star polyps
(all very small amounts)

FILTRATION
CPR Bak Pak 2 Skimmer with Biological Filtration
350 Magnum Canister (running carbon and filter sleeve)
Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead
80 lbs. Live Rock
10 gallon Refugium with Live Sand, 1 pound of Live Rock, with Chaeto + Carbon in a media bag (will be adding 5 Mangrove Stalks and more sand) I have only enough sand to cover bottom of tank that I used from my 45 gallon, so when I add more it will become live sand.

LIGHTING
Main Tank:
Compact Fluorescent fixture with 4 bulbs(96w each) (White, Blue, and 3 Lunar Lights)
Refugium:
Coralife T-5 Series 24" fixture laying over top of refugium tank with full-spectrum bulb and 6700K plant bulb

What else can I do for filtration?

Any other recommendations and comments welcome as well.

Billybeau1
08/12/2008, 02:03 PM
Looks pretty good to me. I will say though you may be getting close to your limit on fish.

How are your water parameters ?

Crush Coral
08/12/2008, 02:04 PM
I don't see in here what size tank this is. All in all looks good. I would consider running chemi-pure elite instead of carbon to include the removal of phosphates. Don't over feed, consider a lighting upgrade when you have the extra cash to blow. The PC bulbs are 35% efficient and last for about 6 months at best.

Billybeau1
08/12/2008, 02:21 PM
While I agree with your assessment of lighting, I see no proof that chemi-pure removes PO<sub>4</sub>.

Although chemi-pure may be a fine choice, some of the good quality carbons perform the same function. :)

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 02:34 PM
It is a 45 gallon tank (the tall one)

I was told by most that I can grow most coral with that. I am sticking with some zoas, xenia, and other softs.

I will be building a 90 gallon which will be everything in this tank plus a lot more later.

I will be turning the 45 gallon into a predator tank later on down the road.

My questions are:

Is there enough filtration....I am obviously overstocking a bit, but no turning back now.....my freind gave me this tank stocked and now I have to keep it up. I'm building a bigger tank, but in the meantime, what can i do to run better filtration.

Water parameters are ok.....I had an ammonia spike a week ago, but all good now. I added some new rock that had some dead barnacles on it.

I am hoping that the refugium will help with that.

ph 8.3
salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
alkalinity 12
(getting a calcium kit soon)

any suggestions greatly appreciated!

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 02:36 PM
also, I was thinking of doing this from now on....my lfs sells sea water in 4.4gallon bottles. If I did one of these every week in small water changes (one a week) would that be enough for a 45 gallon reef tank?

Mariner
08/12/2008, 02:45 PM
Filtration looks pretty good, IMO. You could possibly use a little more circulation in the tank if the MJ powerhead is all you've got besides your return and skimmer.
A 10% weekly water change is ideal, so I think you're on the right track there. But personally I've always liked making up my own salt water using RO/DI and a good salt mix -- gives you more control over water quality and chemical parameters.
FWIW,
Mariner

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 02:48 PM
I agree with you, Mariner.

Problem with that is my RO/DI is not suitable enough for mixing salt for my aquarium. The TDS meter picks up a lot. Good for drinking, not for fish, so the premixed stuff is the way I have to go for now.

Mariner
08/12/2008, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13140988#post13140988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltSolutions1
I agree with you, Mariner.

Problem with that is my RO/DI is not suitable enough for mixing salt for my aquarium. The TDS meter picks up a lot. Good for drinking, not for fish, so the premixed stuff is the way I have to go for now.
Sounds like it's time for new filters in those RO/DI cannisters!
;)
Mariner

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 03:10 PM
the ro/di filter is not mine, it belongs to the guy that owns the house and it only produces about 3 gallons a day. Not suitable for what I need it for.

The 4.4 gallon jugs are only $10.00 at my LFS and it has trace elements and all necessary supplements already in it. here's a link to what I intend to use:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16766&cmpid=03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0029818000000

The price from this online site is not the same as I would pay. My lfs has it for $10

Billybeau1
08/12/2008, 03:21 PM
Yes, but you will still need water to replace evaporation. You should not use salt water for this as salt does not evaporate. You will soon find your tank at extremely high salinity levels.

Only replace evaporation with fresh water. If you cannot get your ro/di working yet, at least use something like Prime or Amquel. :)

SaltSolutions1
08/12/2008, 03:38 PM
I use the RO/DI for freshwater top-off but I use it along with Prime.....works well.

Billybeau1
08/12/2008, 04:07 PM
:thumbsup:

Krim
08/12/2008, 07:58 PM
I would think if your ro/di is good enough for top off water then it is good enough for salt mix. It is all going in your tank. You may want to consider getting a TWP by Aq pharm. Before I purchased a good ro/di I used one with a cheap ro filter and had very good results. Plus using it in the last stage of the ro filter really prolonged the life of the cartridge.

Krim
08/12/2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry, forgot to add relating to your original question. I would add another powerhead like a korallia and put the two on a wave timer.

SaltSolutions1
08/13/2008, 08:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13143182#post13143182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Krim
I would think if your ro/di is good enough for top off water then it is good enough for salt mix. It is all going in your tank. You may want to consider getting a TWP by Aq pharm. Before I purchased a good ro/di I used one with a cheap ro filter and had very good results. Plus using it in the last stage of the ro filter really prolonged the life of the cartridge.

what is a twp by aq. pharm? where do i get one?

I am going to change the filters and get the ro filter water tested today at my lfs with their TDS meter.

Krim
08/13/2008, 09:33 AM
A TWP is a Tap Water Purifier by Aquarium Pharmacueticals. It is basically a DI cartidge that hooks directly to your faucet. It produces good water but cartridges are costly and usually don't last long (depending on your water quality). I used one on the last stage of an old RO unit with great results. The pre filters and ro of the unit really increased the life of the TWP. Believe it or not it actually lasted me until I could afford a good RO/DI unit.

You can get a TWP at most online stores. Drs Foster Smith, Big Als, Pet Solutions, That Fish Place, etc. Compare prices.

MrLeemr
08/17/2008, 09:48 AM
It's all very simple. Bad water = DOOM!!