PDA

View Full Version : FedEx SmartPost? Seriously?

ramey70
08/12/2008, 10:20 PM
I've placed several orders with Dr. Fosters & Smith and a competitor during a current tank build. All have shipped promptly and quickly with standard shipping options (UPS and/or FedEx). However, my most recent is an exception to this. The order shipped via FedEx SmartPost which, in a nutshell has FedEx deliver the item to the local post office and final delivery is made by them. If I had known this I would never considered Dr. Fosters & Smith because I normally go out of my way to not use the postal service for any and all things that I value getting to me safely or promptly. Not to mention the tracking options for this service are complete garbage. If Dr. Fosters & Smith cannot let me know when and what items will ship by this horrid method I will be forced to take my business elsewhere to someone that doesn't rely on gimmick shipping options.

dfs/la2
08/13/2008, 07:22 AM
ramey70,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize that you are not satisfied with the shipping method that was used on your most recent order. If you could please PM us with your customer information and/or order number; we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you,

Jen S

ramey70
08/13/2008, 10:12 AM
That won't be necessary. It's simply not worth the hassle. I needed calibration solutions by this weekend and figured FedEx ground would have ample time to deliver them in that frame. Only you don't use FedEx ground, you use the laughable SmartPost (you might as well slap a stamp on it and shove it in the nearest mailbox). Your competitor uses UPS ground for $6.99 standard shipping and I have no worries about dealing with the postal service.

Thank you for your timely response but I'm extremely disappointed

dfs/la2
08/13/2008, 12:31 PM
ramey70,

Thank you for your reply. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We would be more than happy to update your customer account to ship by UPS or FedEx Ground for your future orders with us. However, we would need you to contact us back with your customer information.

Michelle L.
Live Aquaria (liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com)

shag26272
08/15/2008, 08:51 AM
I have the same problem, I ordered Salt and a Maxi-Jet that I needed. The Salt came on Tuesday but the Mxi-jet seems to be traveling all over the country.

dfs/la2
08/15/2008, 10:56 AM
shag26272,

We are happy to track your package and give you any information we are able to provide regarding your order. If you would like to PM us your customer information or order number, we will review your shipment and contact you with any tracking information.

You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you.

Joyce F.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com/default.cfm?siteid=20)
Drs. Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/)

shag26272
08/15/2008, 11:00 AM
PM sent , thanks

cham
09/09/2008, 12:39 PM
If you guys don't mind putting my account on FedEx or UPS only too.

I ordered stuff 7 days ago, it got to the Orlando "processing center" 3 days ago and apparently it is scheduled to stay there for 5 days.

Smart post seems to be an extremely slow method of shipping.

dfs/la2
09/09/2008, 02:45 PM
cham,

Thank you for your post. We have updated your customer account to ship by UPS or FedEx Ground for your future orders with us. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Dallas R.

Goby1kenobe
10/02/2008, 08:56 PM
I would like to have my account updated to exclude smart post aswell. That has to be the slowest shipping method ever. The worst part is the tracking shows it in town for day after day and it is not delivered. my last order number is N9505457, Thank you

dfs/la2
10/03/2008, 07:02 AM
Goby1kenobe,

Thank you for your post. We have updated your customer account to ship by FedEx Ground for your future orders with us. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Dallas R.

Harry_Fish
10/03/2008, 04:07 PM
I will also say I am hesitant to order
since I don't want my stuff shipped SmartPost

dfs/la2
10/03/2008, 04:45 PM
Harry_Fish,

Thank you for your post. Please PM us your customer information and we will be happy to update your customer file to have your orders ship by Federal Express ground delivery.

Pat S.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

helgymatt
10/06/2008, 12:56 PM
I have had the same problems with SmartPost. An order which usually takes 2 days still has not arrived a week later. May I ask, why does Foster Smith continues to utilize this shipping service if there are so many disgruntled customers? In my opinion, this shipping service will only quickly ruin the company's very good reputation.
Matt

dfs/la2
10/06/2008, 03:08 PM
Helgymatt,

We apologize for any problems you have experienced with SmartPost deliveries. We will be happy to update your customer file to utilize a different method for you.

We have found SmartPost as reliable as our other delivery options delivering packages to our customers within 7 business days.

Pat S.
Technical Support
Drs. Doctor Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

helgymatt
10/06/2008, 11:16 PM
Reliable Huh? Is that why you have to appologize in this thread over and over again from customer complaints? I wouldn't even consider it reliable for the buyer when orders take 3 times as long to be delivered as they normally do. It really doens't matter to me that I was told it would be shipped in 7 days, my point is that you are in a neighboring state! Send it UPS, FedEx, or USPS, and it will be get here in 2 days. Maybe its reliable for the seller when they can save a few cents on shipping.

I inquired with the company over email and I urged them to forward my messages on to management and they said they did. My account has been updated:) For that, you're lucky I will be a continued customer.

Bignasty1
10/22/2008, 07:30 PM
I ran across this thread and I'm not here to rant; but I placed an order back in June that was shipped via Fedex Smartpost. I will agree that their delivery routes are a bit confusing. I am located in AL, my package left your facilities and made it to Memphis TN from there it was redirected to St Louis, back to me. Working with logistics companies in the past you learn that the extra time in route usually equals more damaged shipments.

SlicerDicer
11/03/2008, 05:11 PM
Alright I will say I did not order what I did for saltwater (although will convert eventually) this was part of why I ordered overflow box and various parts to start my sump building to be able to get going.

I just wanted to say that customer support denies that this ever happens. Yet complaints abound here. If Dr Foster and Smith customer service wishes to address this and make it so that it can be known that problems are abound. There is information all over the internet about this. Perhaps its time to reevaluate the shipping paradigm at this point.

I do all kinds of internet ordering and I have never seen such trashy behavior from Customer Support. I know it is not their fault however it is their responsibility to make sure things are right. I would urge that you do away with smartpost as a option and make your service more reliable. I have already said to customer service the two times I have spoken with them I will never do business with you again. I cannot for the life of me understand why it would be such a complex thing to ship out products in a reliable method... There is obviously problems and they should be addressed and or just change. Clean up your mess and don't make excuses. Its your business you may have some of the best prices around but thats not enough to compensate for my headaches.

Sorry to bring the complaint to the forum as my first post here and I registered just so that Dr Foster and Smith could hear.

dfs/la2
11/03/2008, 05:25 PM
SlicerDicer,

Thank you for your post. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have been experiencing. If you would please PM us with your customer information, we would be happy to look further into your concerns as well as arrange to flag your file for receiving alternative shipping methods on all future orders.

Mike S.
Technical Support

ricde
11/21/2008, 01:39 PM
I didn't read this thread until after I ordered. Got real nervous when I saw part of my shipment would arrive through smartpost. Salt bucket arrived yesterday and rest of shipment arrived today.

mr&mrsfish
12/05/2008, 08:00 PM
I just experienced the same problem. On Sunday, I ordered four replacment impellers and an algae clip. The shipment probably weighed less than 1/4 lb but it still cost $9.99 to ship. I expected to receive the package in a couple days but just realized it was shipped by this post method. The post tracker shows it should arrive mid next week or 10 days travel time for 500 miles. Had I just ordered from my typical place, then shipping would have been less and I would have had the order the next day. Live and learn.

dfs/la2
12/05/2008, 09:08 PM
mr&mrsfish,

Thank you for your post and recent order with Drs. Foster and Smith. We sincerely apologize that you have not received your order at this time. Please PM us back with your order information we would be more than happy to look in to this further for you.

Michelle L.
Live Aquaria (liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com)

Fats71
12/07/2008, 11:54 AM
You have such a generic response for all these people I am re-thinking my 72 inch MH fixture I was just 5 minutes away ordering.

I also would not be interested in their shipping method utilized by your company.

This would be my first purchase from you all as I have been shopping from one site only for years but as their prices increase and customer service decrease it forces me to spend elsewhere.

cham
12/07/2008, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13893103#post13893103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fats71
You have such a generic response for all these people I am re-thinking my 72 inch MH fixture I was just 5 minutes away ordering.

I also would not be interested in their shipping method utilized by your company.

This would be my first purchase from you all as I have been shopping from one site only for years but as their prices increase and customer service decrease it forces me to spend elsewhere.

As a long standing customer of DRF&S let me say that yes they give a very generic responce on the board but take GREAT (personal) care of you via private message.

Its very smart on their part. If they were posting up all over live message boards about the amazing discounts and freebies that they do give then you'd have a free for all of people in here trying to get free stuff.

Order from them with confidence. I gurantee you'll be well taken care of.

dfs/la2
12/07/2008, 01:24 PM
Fats71,

Thank you for your post. We appreciate that you took the time to post your concerns about ordering from us. We strive to offer the best customer service in the industry and we stand behind all the products we carry. We want you and everyone else to feel confident that when you are ordering from Drs. Foster and Smith that you are receiving quality products. If you do have any problems, questions, or concerns you may contact us at 1-800-826-7206 or via email at CustomerService@DrsFosterSmith.com and we will take care of you.

We understand the concerns that arise when discussing shipping methods. We have a few different options that include FedEx Smartpost, FedEx ground, USPS, and UPS. If you would prefer a different shipping method you may update your customer files to reflect your preference. As a company we have to monitor the delivery of orders very closely and most of the orders sent out through Smartpost are delivered within the quoted seven business days.

cham,

Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Gwen S.
Drs. Foster and Smtih (http://drsfostersmith.com)

agreeive?fish
12/08/2008, 04:07 PM
I guess i just dont understand all the problems stated about smart post... i have ordered dry goods many many times thru drs foster and smith and have had items shipped smart post aswell as fed x and ups thru drs and others.. i have always recieved my orders within the 7 days infact i have recieved several shipments on saturdays when i did not pay for saturday delievery. but also when i order dry goods i order in advance so iam in no hurry for them and can wait for them.. if its something i caint wait for then i just get it at the lfs..

and drs foster and smith seem to go way beyond when it comes to personilsed coustomer service.. one small example was in one of my orders i had some ferret treats that melted on the fedx truck in 100 degree weather and i called foster smith because i have never ordered that product before and was not 100% sure of the form the treat was supposed to be in since what arrived looked just like a jar of penut butter (should have been shapped like hersey kisses i found out)... drs offered to reship a $2.49 item at thier expence when truthfully it was nobodys fault that it melted on the back of a fedx truck in 100 degree temps...I will continue to order thru drsfostersmith nomatter what method my dry goods are shipped

dfs/la2
12/08/2008, 04:57 PM
Agreeive?fish,

Thank you for your post. We are glad to hear about your satisfaction with our products and service that has been provided to you. We strive to provide the best possible care for our customers. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know!

Mike S.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)