PDA

View Full Version : Al's 120g Slice of Heaven/Hell

Pages : [1] 2

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 10:56 AM
Well i thought it would be better if i just started my own tank thread instead of having a thousand threads on all my little questions.

As we all know, when all the hard work is over in building a reef aquarium we have acquired our slice of Heaven. But we all go through hell in the process of building it :) :)

This is my first saltwater tank. It has been up and running for about 2 and a half months. I started my whole fish hobby early January when i bought a 20g freshwater tank. I then decided to get in debt by buying and setting up y 120g saltwater.

I hope you enjoy it!

This is the shot of my DT:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1597.jpg

This is my sump: (Keep in mind there are two phosban reactors i just took off for cleaning)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1599.jpg

Fuge: (I cleaned it all yesterday, i had a breakout of bubble algae. And some weird red slime took over my Cheato so that's why it's so small)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1600.jpg

Stock list:

(2) Percula Clownfish

My mother named them so,

NEMO:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1601.jpg

and

DORI:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1603.jpg

(1) Lawnmower Blenny (He is MIA right now. I cannot seem to find him, So no pic.)

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 10:57 AM
QT:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1607.jpg

Yellow Tang (Not named yet)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1606.jpg

Royal Gramma (Not named yet) - He is hiding underneath the rock :(

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1605.jpg

CUC: (Give or take 5 on some of them)

(2) Turbo Snails
(20) Nass. Snails
(15) Cerith Snails
(15) Astraea Snails

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:01 AM
Right now i am facing two issues.

1) Hair Algae battle, which is very fun :)

But it seems i am doing fine. I did a 25g change yesterday, i have the lights running from (Blue) 12pm - 10pm and (Yellow) 1pm - 9pm.

I think i may lower how long the lights are on.

2) And trying to find the MIA blenny.

Also,

The Royal Gramma in the QT kept hiding inside a piece of LR that i took out b/c i was afraid that he would get stuck in there.

Should i place the LR back in the QT so the Gramma can hide in it?

FYI - I have a relatively slow build so please bear with me. If you want you can subscribe :) :)

mindytoy
08/13/2008, 11:07 AM
looks good. i too are in the noob 2.5 month period but i have no live stock yet :( just hermits and snails.

are you going to add corals?

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks mindytoy! Good luck, and don't worry you seen will have livestock :)

I do plan to add corals, but not this moment. I want to wait a little bit more until i get the hang of this.

But i do have a button polyp that kinda came free with an order :) So i just placed him in my DT.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1610.jpg

Btw, i was just in El Paso last Tuesday and Wednesday.

RyanMcLaughlin
08/13/2008, 11:20 AM
In the qt tank you shouldnt have any rock/sand in it. Just some PVC and stuff for hiding. Rock/Sand just gives ich a place to multipy. Once he is in the DT he could use the rock. Mine does that all the time and is fine.

mindytoy
08/13/2008, 11:24 AM
haha yeah im here in el paso. well im getting some frags in my tank today and maybe next week 2 clowns :)

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13146923#post13146923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanMcLaughlin
In the qt tank you shouldnt have any rock/sand in it. Just some PVC and stuff for hiding. Rock/Sand just gives ich a place to multipy. Once he is in the DT he could use the rock. Mine does that all the time and is fine.

Ryan -

These are extra LR i had in my fuge that i did not want in there anymore. So i decided to give them to the QT. It is either throw them away or just give them to QT. :)

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:29 AM
And without further ado the lawnmower blenny!!

HE IS ALIVE!!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1612.jpg

:rollface: :D :D :D :D :D :rollface:

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13146940#post13146940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mindytoy
haha yeah im here in el paso. well im getting some frags in my tank today and maybe next week 2 clowns :)

Awesome!

Just make sure they don't have any hitch hikers on them!

Tswifty
08/13/2008, 11:41 AM
Looks good... Nice to finally see the whole setup :thumbsup:

Tswifty
08/13/2008, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13146923#post13146923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanMcLaughlin
Not true.

For a Hospital/Treatment tank I agree.

Quarantine/Observation tank on the other hand... I like to keep the environment similiar to the display tank to make it as stress free on the fish as possible.

Plus LR with some algae growing on it always helps with finicky grazing fish such as tangs, and provides them with an alternate food source until they become comfortable accepting prepared foods.

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13147036#post13147036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Looks good... Nice to finally see the whole setup :thumbsup:

Although, it's all been working out thanks to your thread! Or should i call it Clubhouse lol.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13147064#post13147064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Not true.

For a Hospital/Treatment tank I agree.

Quarantine/Observation tank on the other hand... I like to keep the environment similiar to the display tank to make it as stress free on the fish as possible.

Plus LR with some algae growing on it always helps with finicky grazing fish such as tangs, and provides them with an alternate food source until they become comfortable accepting prepared foods.

Awesome! Well i was just afraid that the Royal Gramma would get stuck lol. :lol:

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 03:44 PM
Well i'm having a little trouble guys/gals.

My royal gramma is inside the LR i have but it does not come out at all! It seems like he is not eating either.

I just spot fed him by placing a few pieces of Mysis shrimp next to him. But he still didn't come out of the cave.

What should i do?

I have the lights turned ON in the QT, should they be off?

mindytoy
08/13/2008, 03:47 PM
does the QT always have to be cycling? cant we just make saltwater in it and run a smal filter on it with low lighting and pvc pipes?

or does it have to be cycled for forever?

Tswifty
08/13/2008, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13148619#post13148619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i'm having a little trouble guys/gals.

My royal gramma is inside the LR i have but it does not come out at all! It seems like he is not eating either.

I just spot fed him by placing a few pieces of Mysis shrimp next to him. But he still didn't come out of the cave.

What should i do?

I have the lights turned ON in the QT, should they be off?
Leave the lights off... From what I've heard about Royal Gramma's that sounds like their normal behaviour.

How long has it been in QT. Sometimes it can take a while for fish to begin accepting food in QT. Make sure you watch how much food you are offering also if they are not eating.

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 04:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13148651#post13148651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mindytoy
does the QT always have to be cycling? cant we just make saltwater in it and run a smal filter on it with low lighting and pvc pipes?

or does it have to be cycled for forever?

My understanding is that the water in the QT has to be drawn from the DT. And it is said to run a simple HOB Filter in the DT for about three days so enough bacteria can develop in the filter and once placed in the QT it wont start a cycle.

So the QT won't cycle because, 1) you are using water from the DT that is already cycled and 2) the bacteria in the filter acquired from running it in the DT will help out with any ammonia and nitrates in the QT.

Here are a few reads:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=256

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1404576

Al Bendiksen
08/13/2008, 04:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13148819#post13148819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Leave the lights off... From what I've heard about Royal Gramma's that sounds like their normal behaviour.

How long has it been in QT. Sometimes it can take a while for fish to begin accepting food in QT. Make sure you watch how much food you are offering also if they are not eating.

Ok that's a relief :)

How long should i leave the lights off?

mindytoy
08/13/2008, 04:34 PM
thanx!!!

i just added some frags and they are doing ok for now...

Tswifty
08/13/2008, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13148960#post13148960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Ok that's a relief :)

How long should i leave the lights off?
I usually leave them off for 24hrs when I add a new addition, or run only actinics.

Nano Chris
08/13/2008, 11:46 PM
My royal gramma comes out all the time, especially when i feed, he likes to hide in holes in the lr, he has a favorite hold he sits in and watches out. Pretty cool.

indydog1
08/14/2008, 07:54 AM
great start al. i see that you are getting the algae issues under control. :)

the gramma i would not worry about. new enviornmet and all. my experience with them is that they hide at first, but will come out. although mine hung out around his sleeping hole most of the time.

i for one have just subscribed to this. thanks for the invite.

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13149403#post13149403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I usually leave them off for 24hrs when I add a new addition, or run only actinics.

Well i kept the lights off all day when i got them on Tuesday, and turned them on for a while Wednesday but then i put them back off. Today i will have them turned on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13151714#post13151714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nano Chris
My royal gramma comes out all the time, especially when i feed, he likes to hide in holes in the lr, he has a favorite hold he sits in and watches out. Pretty cool.

Well lets hope that sticks true with mine. Have not fed them today so i do not know how he will act

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13152788#post13152788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
great start al. i see that you are getting the algae issues under control. :)

the gramma i would not worry about. new enviornmet and all. my experience with them is that they hide at first, but will come out. although mine hung out around his sleeping hole most of the time.

i for one have just subscribed to this. thanks for the invite.

Thanks indydog :D :D

I checked this morning and the gramma is still inside his little cave. I guess he STILL does not feel comfortable in the QT. I imagine that only time will tell. :)

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 11:21 AM
Im thinking of adding one or two shrimp into my DT.

I am just not sure which one to get, any ideas?

I am between the Scarlet Skunk Shrimp and the Blood fire Shrimp

Tswifty
08/14/2008, 12:26 PM
I've heard more bad reviews on the Fire Shrimp than good. Most people that have them say they hide in the caves all day.

I went with the Scarlet Skunk Cleaners, and am very happy. Except when I feed the brain coral... then they are little pests, and try to rip the food away from it.

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 02:05 PM
Hahahaha well that's a bummer about the brain coral.

I guess i may go with your word and side towards the Scarlet Skunk Cleaners. If i recall Tswifty, you bought two right?

I want to get two, and i am assuming it would be smart to introduce them at the same time.

Tswifty
08/14/2008, 02:21 PM
Yep... picked up 2 very large ones 3"+ from www.reefhotspot.com

They had them on sale for $14.99 each :D

They never stray very far from one another, are always out in the open and great to watch in the tank.

*I have to give each shrimp a chunk of silverside to keep them busy while the brain eats*

raen
08/14/2008, 02:47 PM
Nice tank Al! Nice to see you on the build thread kick! Good on-ya Mate!

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 04:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13155362#post13155362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Yep... picked up 2 very large ones 3"+ from www.reefhotspot.com

They had them on sale for $14.99 each :D

They never stray very far from one another, are always out in the open and great to watch in the tank.

*I have to give each shrimp a chunk of silverside to keep them busy while the brain eats*

Thanks for the info Tswifty!

I was very close to buying them at reefhotspot, but im going to wait about a week while i collect more money by begging for money near a bridge :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13155544#post13155544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Nice tank Al! Nice to see you on the build thread kick! Good on-ya Mate!

Thanks Raen, it means a lot! :rollface:

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 04:48 PM
Well had a little issue with the cyano on my substrate.

I tried to siphon it out with the little vacuum i have for my 20g tank. It sucked out just little tiny parts.

So i next tried with the 1/2'' ID tubing i have and it worked at sucking the BIG parts out. But it was sucking also a lot of the sand i have.

Anybody battled this before who has some ideas?

Thxs,

Al

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 04:50 PM
Here is a pic from a few wks ago. But it sill looks about the same.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1586.jpg

Al Bendiksen
08/14/2008, 06:32 PM
Bump :mixed: :mixed: :mixed:

Al Bendiksen
08/15/2008, 01:11 PM
Well, day three and the Royal Gramma is still inside the cave and will not come out.

I think i am going to take it out of the LR and remove the LR from the QT.

But the yellow tang is eating perfectly :):)

Tswifty
08/15/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13156302#post13156302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Here is a pic from a few wks ago. But it sill looks about the same.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1586.jpg
Al I've been "secretly" battling this in my tank behind the scenes. :lol:

I think it's just a new tank syndrome type algae. It's like cyano, but doesn't have the same coloration.

I tried turkey baster maintenance daily, but eventually it was coming back within hours.

I beefed up my CUC, but I'm unsure if it is helping or not. (I don't think it has... at least with this outbreak). My sand is smooth again though, and I have no more clumping. I attribute that to the Nas snails.

However, I read an article that said manual removal is the best method. I've been using a net and scooping out the larger clumps of it daily... and honestly it's making a HUGE difference. Slowly, but definitely a noticeable improvement after just 3 days.

I couldn't figure out why I have it, because I've been regulating my feeding like crazy for the past few months, have good flow, and no other nuissance algae in the display.

Anyway... it's what seems to be working for me. Good luck :D

Al Bendiksen
08/15/2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Tswifty!

I was removing little bits by hand by i think using my net will be better :).

Do you have an issue of it growing on your LR?

I cleaned one of the two islands i have yesterday. I removed this brown stuff growing on them and left them with their original color. And in less than 24hrs they were all covered again :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I have about 25 Nass. snails. i guess i can add a few more. I think they have been dying.

Tswifty
08/15/2008, 08:16 PM
No I can't say it has spread to the rockwork... It's just on the sand.

I use the net, and also a turkey baster to suck up the smaller bits.

indydog1
08/18/2008, 08:56 AM
what is your phosphate readings?

Al Bendiksen
08/18/2008, 09:23 AM
Sorry for not posting in a while, i have been busy.

I ended up sucking up most of the cyano growing in my sand. Of course it sucked up a lot of my sand. So i am going to clean all the sand i sucked out, let it dry for a few days and then put it back in.

I have not phosphate remover running b/c i ran out. I will buy some today.

My phosphate readings were ''0'' last time i checked. I'll go test again and let u know.

Also, the Royal Gramma has still not left his cave in the LR!!! Its been about a wk or so. I dont even know if he is eating!

Tswifty
08/18/2008, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure you'll even get a phosphate reading with all the algae consuming it.

If you have algae, you have phosphate... that's how I test now :lol:

indydog1
08/18/2008, 01:57 PM
that is a good point! now we just have to figure out how to reduce it.

Al Bendiksen
08/19/2008, 10:45 PM
Well i have a question about the fuge.

I have no CUC in there. I cleaned it out about a wk ago. It is starting to get covered with reddish algae. I have a feeling that is what is causing most of the DT out break. I place a filter pad in between the baffle that leads to the return pump, and in under one hour the white filter pad turned all dark red/brown.

I will buy the phosphate remover tomorrow, and hopefully get ready for another 25g water change.

jmadison
08/19/2008, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13154566#post13154566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I've heard more bad reviews on the Fire Shrimp than good. Most people that have them say they hide in the caves all day. I have a blood fire shrimp and he comes out to eat mysis/brine out of a turkey baster at feedings, but otherwise rarely see him. Very vivid when he is out, but is rarely out. I would go with the skunks if you wanna see them.

Al Bendiksen
08/19/2008, 10:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13189372#post13189372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmadison
I have a blood fire shrimp and he comes out to eat mysis/brine out of a turkey baster at feedings, but otherwise rarely see him. Very vivid when he is out, but is rarely out. I would go with the skunks if you wanna see them.

Thanks for the info :)

And i am sure that the fish do more that nothing :-D!!

Al Bendiksen
08/19/2008, 11:02 PM
Hey do you guys know if fish lose their color during the night?

I was downstairs looking at my yellow tang in the QT and i noticed that it looked pale yellow with a white strip across is body and a rather big black looking spot in the middle. It almost seemed if i was looking at his insides.

Ideas?

indydog1
08/20/2008, 07:45 AM
it is perfectly normal. most fish will change somewhat during the night. and yellow tangs will get a white stripe, and get pale. the black spot is probably the guts.

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13189372#post13189372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmadison
I have a blood fire shrimp and he comes out to eat mysis/brine out of a turkey baster at feedings, but otherwise rarely see him. Very vivid when he is out, but is rarely out. I would go with the skunks if you wanna see them.
Yep that is exactly what I've heard. I was originally going to get a pair of them, but after hearing similar reviews, opted for the cleaners.

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 08:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13190512#post13190512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
it is perfectly normal. most fish will change somewhat during the night. and yellow tangs will get a white stripe, and get pale. the black spot is probably the guts.
+1 :thumbsup:

Here's my Yellow Tang during the day:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/YTruler1.jpg

Here's a shot I took right after I turned the lights on late one night to try and snap a feeding pic. His color was just starting to return, but the white stripe is still visible:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/food2.jpg

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 08:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13189329#post13189329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i have a question about the fuge.

I have no CUC in there. I cleaned it out about a wk ago. It is starting to get covered with reddish algae. I have a feeling that is what is causing most of the DT out break. I place a filter pad in between the baffle that leads to the return pump, and in under one hour the white filter pad turned all dark red/brown.

I will buy the phosphate remover tomorrow, and hopefully get ready for another 25g water change.
what's the flow like in the refugium?

I stuck a small powerhead in mine, and new cheato... so far the red stuff hasn't returned and the cheato looks great.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/v4.jpg

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 09:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13190684#post13190684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
+1 :thumbsup:

Here's my Yellow Tang during the day:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/YTruler1.jpg

Here's a shot I took right after I turned the lights on late one night to try and snap a feeding pic. His color was just starting to return, but the white stripe is still visible:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/food2.jpg

Ohh!!! Well thats good to know. I started to freak out and thought to myself "Damn, i have bad luck" lol

cpony69
08/20/2008, 09:42 AM
wow a metal stand . . do they even make those anymore?

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 09:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13190714#post13190714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
what's the flow like in the refugium?

I stuck a small powerhead in mine, and new cheato... so far the red stuff hasn't returned and the cheato looks great.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/v4.jpg

Well this is my fuge,

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1620.jpg

My cheato looks like s---

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1622.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1623.jpg

My flow is from the drain pipe,

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1624.jpg

and i have a 6'' long pipe with 1/4'' holes.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1625.jpg.

I have the valve about 1/2 way closed and i think it is good enough. But i guess i can throw in my little pump.

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 09:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191206#post13191206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cpony69
wow a metal stand . . do they even make those anymore?

Well if you are referring to the QT tank yeah it's metal. But i don't know, i bought the tank with the stand used from a local :-D

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 11:01 AM
Well GOOD NEWS!

I spent my morning cleaning the tank, and it looks beautiful! The algae is gone, and the sand is looking clean. Im on the 2nd day of yet another 3 day darkness.

Also,

My Royal Gramma as emerged! (By force :) )

Step 1: Remove the rock

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1631.jpg

Step 2: Hit the rock with a hammer and flat head screwdriver as fast as possible so the fish does not sufficate :/

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1629.jpg

Step 3: Put fish back in QT ASAP!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1633.jpg

Step 4: Enjoy what is left of a once good looking LR

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1632.jpg

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 01:10 PM
:lol: That's too funny... so did you get a little close with the chisel or did a tank mate get him in the tail?

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 01:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191689#post13191689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well GOOD NEWS!

I spent my morning cleaning the tank, and it looks beautiful! The algae is gone, and the sand is looking clean. Im on the 2nd day of yet another 3 day darkness.
Sounds like GREAT news... I'll be looking forward to some pics to see your results.

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 01:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191227#post13191227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well this is my fuge,

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1620.jpg

My cheato looks like s---

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1622.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1623.jpg

My flow is from the drain pipe,

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1624.jpg

and i have a 6'' long pipe with 1/4'' holes.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1625.jpg.

I have the valve about 1/2 way closed and i think it is good enough. But i guess i can throw in my little pump.
Is there any particular reason you opted for the spray bar rather than just having it empty directly into your sump?

I ended up pitching my cheato and completely overhauling my fuge, because the red algae got so bad.

Since I did that, and dropped the small powerhead in the tank, I haven't seen any signs of it returning. The small powerhead basically just keeps the surface broken up so the alage cannot build on it.

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure how the noise level would be effected, but it looks like you would be able to acheive greater flow and surface agitation through the fuge by cutting off the spraybar, and allowing the water to enter the fuge via the 90 degree elbow right at the surface.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/DSCN1624.jpg

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 02:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13192564#post13192564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
:lol: That's too funny... so did you get a little close with the chisel or did a tank mate get him in the tail?

Not sure. For a second i thought it was me but i made sure not to get close to him when cutting the rock. I think either the Yellow tang did that or it was a self inflicted wound.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13192635#post13192635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I'm not sure how the noise level would be effected, but it looks like you would be able to acheive greater flow and surface agitation through the fuge by cutting off the spraybar, and allowing the water to enter the fuge via the 90 degree elbow right at the surface.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/DSCN1624.jpg

I think that would be a good idea. I just did the spray bar to ''suspend'' the cheato in the water. But it did not work out as well.

Right above the elbow there is a coupling, i have a feeling i may just extend the pipe to have the elbow submerged and remove the spray bar.

Did you just glue on the piece of eggcrate on your pipes?

Oh, just bought some new cheato (4.99 a piece :mad2: ) i got two pieces.

Should have asked a local reefer

Al Bendiksen
08/20/2008, 06:32 PM
How the tank looks today

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1634.jpg

Cleaned out the fuge, removed all the water and took out the rocks. Got full of bubble algae (again :mad2: )

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1638.jpg

New cheato:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1637.jpg

And ill add more sand to the fuge tomorrow.

Tswifty
08/20/2008, 09:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13194627#post13194627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
How the tank looks today

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1634.jpg
WOW :eek2:

That is a HUGE improvement!!!

Nice work :thumbsup:

indydog1
08/21/2008, 07:21 AM
nice al! :)

Al Bendiksen
08/21/2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys :) Tomorrow the lights come back on!

But .... the ROYAL GRAMMA died today :( :(

I think the yellow tail had something to do with it ...

I mean the fins of the RG were all bitten off :mad2:

indydog1
08/22/2008, 09:55 AM
that must have been why he was hiding. sorry for your loss.
and what a concusion he had when you broke the rock up.

in my world i added a sailfin to the tank and my radiant wrasse got spooked and jumped out. then 2 days later the sailfin got sucked on to my closed loop strainer. he is dead too.

i would defineately add more sand. 3-4 inch bed is what is recommended i hear. do away with the spray bar. and have it empty at the surface. and increase the flow a little. what light are you using for the fuge. my chaeto is growing very well in my fuge. i am using a old clip on desk light and daylight compact florescent bulb.

Tswifty
08/22/2008, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13203784#post13203784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Thanks guys :) Tomorrow the lights come back on!

But .... the ROYAL GRAMMA died today :( :(

I think the yellow tail had something to do with it ...

I mean the fins of the RG were all bitten off :mad2:
Are you going to just run actinics first?

It's recommended to run actinics the first day after the darkness period... then the day after that, go back to normal.

Sorry to hear about the royal gramma.

Matt Wilkie
08/22/2008, 07:48 PM
My fuge didn't start looking good till my tank got well established and stocked, I tryed growing cheato for a long time but it never did well. I read a tread on the macro forum about growing cheato and ever since then its been doing good.

Al Bendiksen
08/22/2008, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13205739#post13205739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
that must have been why he was hiding. sorry for your loss.
and what a concusion he had when you broke the rock up.

in my world i added a sailfin to the tank and my radiant wrasse got spooked and jumped out. then 2 days later the sailfin got sucked on to my closed loop strainer. he is dead too.

i would defineately add more sand. 3-4 inch bed is what is recommended i hear. do away with the spray bar. and have it empty at the surface. and increase the flow a little. what light are you using for the fuge. my chaeto is growing very well in my fuge. i am using a old clip on desk light and daylight compact florescent bulb.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13209304#post13209304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Matt Wilkie
My fuge didn't start looking good till my tank got well established and stocked, I tryed growing cheato for a long time but it never did well. I read a tread on the macro forum about growing cheato and ever since then its been doing good.

Well i fixed my fuge. It took me a while but here it is :-D

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1639.jpg

and added more sand

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1640.jpg

Al Bendiksen
08/22/2008, 10:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13206943#post13206943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Are you going to just run actinics first?

It's recommended to run actinics the first day after the darkness period... then the day after that, go back to normal.

Sorry to hear about the royal gramma.

Well i would have, had i know this little bit of information a little sooner. Lol.

I failed! haha

But i'll make sure i do it next time.

Oh, and i just added the Yellow tang to my DT.

He was in the QT for two weeks (and i know that is not long enough) but his eyes were telling me to move him! :(

Plus, he was eating anything i gave him :)

Al Bendiksen
08/23/2008, 05:51 PM
Good news,

I added two Scarlet Skunk Cleaners today :)

The yellow tang was going crazy swimming from one shrimp to another, i guess he felt dirty lol.

Tswifty
08/23/2008, 06:15 PM
It's a judgement call... I moved my Yellow Tang over after 2 weeks.

That's pretty cool... It took my PBT a long time to get comfortable with the shrimp, and allow them to clean him. Now he's selfish and won't let anyone else get a cleaning from them. If he sees them cleaning the Yellow Tang, he swims right over and breaks up the party :lol:

Tswifty
08/23/2008, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13210479#post13210479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i would have, had i know this little bit of information a little sooner. Lol.

I failed! haha

But i'll make sure i do it next time.
:lol:

Be sure to keep us posted for the next week or so on the sand bed situation. I'm still manually removing the stuff, and it comes back less and less, but I can't seem to kill it all off.

If you see sustained results from the "lights out" I will probably go ahead and give it a shot.

Screename_116
08/23/2008, 06:19 PM
Looks good now that the algae is under control, good job!

Al Bendiksen
08/23/2008, 10:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13214375#post13214375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8

Be sure to keep us posted for the next week or so on the sand bed situation. I'm still manually removing the stuff, and it comes back less and less, but I can't seem to kill it all off.

If you see sustained results from the "lights out" I will probably go ahead and give it a shot.

So far so good. I did see a little bit growing back. The size of a quarter, so i took it out. I think i just missed it when i cleaned it out the first time,. But the Button Polyp is barely starting to open.

Al Bendiksen
08/23/2008, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13214376#post13214376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Screename_116
Looks good now that the algae is under control, good job!

Thanks a lot! I have been trying really hard, i think i have lost most of my hair over this. Lol. :lol:

Al Bendiksen
08/25/2008, 09:37 AM
Well im facing a little dilemma here.

My whole stand and tank are sitting on top of a wood floor. But it is not really a wooden floor, rather the sheets of laminated wood.

My mother says that the floor is starting to lift up. She says that it is either

1) The weight of the DT on the floor
2) The humidity causing it to rise.

The only humidity that can be seen is inside the stand where the sump is. My stand has a closed back so a lot of the humidity is trapped.

She proposes that we ''simply'' move the tank to a tile section of the house.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Tswifty
08/25/2008, 09:48 AM
Could be a little of both.

Water weighs around 9lbs per gallon I belive, so with a 120g tank, plus sump you're definitely talking about a lot of weight there. Not to mention the sand, rock, stand, canopy, equipment, etc...

As far as humidity goes, that will definitely be a problem if your stand is all closed up. I would recommend cutting out 2 holes on the stand (somewhere non-load bearing obviously) and hook up 2 fans to circulate the air underneath the stand (one blowing in, one blowing out).

Al Bendiksen
08/25/2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah i thought that would be an issue. (What kind of fans do you use to cool down the sump btw?)

The majority of the people have spoken in my house. They are going to make me move the tank of the wood to the tile. The actual move will be about 70 feet (not that bad) but i don't know how to manage a move. Heck, if i can barely keep it running moving it is going to be witch! :)

Tswifty
08/25/2008, 10:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13223280#post13223280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Yeah i thought that would be an issue. (What kind of fans do you use to cool down the sump btw?)

The majority of the people have spoken in my house. They are going to make me move the tank of the wood to the tile. The actual move will be about 70 feet (not that bad) but i don't know how to manage a move. Heck, if i can barely keep it running moving it is going to be witch! :)
A short move shouldn't be that bad. Just get yourself a bunch of rubbermaid buckets to transfer the water, rock and livestock into.

Move the tank, then put it all back.

As far as fans go... You can use computer fans, or the icecap one I used... except they are a little pricey, and loud IMO. If I could do it over I would have gone another way... I really like the ones will16 used on his build.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1446213&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13117996#post13117996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by will16
For cooling, I put 4 x 120mm pc fans in the canopy all blowing in. These are on a 4 channel fan controller. That way I can control the speed (hence noise) on each fan individually. I used both Vantec Stealth and SilenX fans. Very quiet and high flow. The SilenX's are quieter and higher flow.

In the stand I have 2 x 120mm AC fans that are set to blow across the sump/refugium. These are controlled by the rk2 and triggered by temp. If the water temp hits 80.5 deg, these kick in.

This fan combo with the T5's works quite well. I usually run the fans at minimum speed and it is plenty enough to keep the tank cool. The hottest I have seen the tank get was 81 deg and that was on a 90 deg day with no house a/c on. Very happy with this set up.

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/101298383.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/101298385.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/101298387.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/101298389.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/101298391.jpg

Al Bendiksen
08/25/2008, 02:47 PM
I did read his thread, and quite an impressive one too. Right now i am broke, so every thing has come to a complete halt!

But once i get the money i'll buy the fans and start adding corals :)

Btw, i used to have a loud overlfow noise, so indydog1 was nice enough to ship me a piece of pipe that had pre-cut holes in it. That helped to silence it but it was 1'' and i had a 1.5'' drain.

So i went back to what i had, which was a 6'' pipe with 1/4'' holes all over the pipe. That was VERY LOUD!

So today i installed Hofer Gurgle Buster, i picked this one because it was the easiest to make and did not take up any space :)

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

Now all i hear is the humming of the fans in the canopy. :) :)

Al Bendiksen
08/26/2008, 02:00 PM
Well like i said, its final. They are making me move the tank.

So im thinking that since i will be emptying out the i might as well fix a few issues.

1) My substrate is a mixture of Ocean Direct and Play Sand. The play sand lets out silicate which aids the growth of algae, if i am not wrong.

So i think i will take all the sand out and place new ONLY Ocean Direct sand.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/sand.jpg

2) IF i remove the sand i can place eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and then place the rocks on top of that and THEN the sand.

Right now i have the LR on top of the sand :(

So, what do you think?

indydog1
08/26/2008, 04:56 PM
too bad about the stand pipe al. all you would have needed was a 1.5 to 1 inch reducer.

i warned you about the sand.

eggcrate first rocks second and sand last. you can add the first level of rocks after the eggcrate then sand and then finish the aquascaping. the reason is that some fish dig and if enough sand is displaced, the rocks will come tumbling down.

now is defineately the time to fix what you need to buddy.

Al Bendiksen
08/26/2008, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13233804#post13233804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
too bad about the stand pipe al. all you would have needed was a 1.5 to 1 inch reducer.

i warned you about the sand.

eggcrate first rocks second and sand last. you can add the first level of rocks after the eggcrate then sand and then finish the aquascaping. the reason is that some fish dig and if enough sand is displaced, the rocks will come tumbling down.

now is defineately the time to fix what you need to buddy.

Well i had the bushing from 1.5 to 1, but i had an uneasy feeling that maybe it was going to fail me. I used it up till a few weeks ago that i got all paranoid! Then i went to the one that was obnoxiously loud and then the one i made a few days ago.

Hahaha and yes, yes you did warn me about the sand :rolleye1:

But it would have been too much trouble in very start, but it came back to bite me in the ---.

That is just what i was planning. Eggcrate, LR, Sand. I want to get the Oranges spotted Goby in the future so i think i may be ready for them :)

Al Bendiksen
08/26/2008, 06:42 PM
This is one of the locations where they want me to put the tank.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/futurestandplace.jpg

indydog1
08/27/2008, 10:11 AM
looks like a nice spot for it.

make sure before you get the orange spot goby that you let the sand mature for a while first. let the population in the sand get established or your litle guy could starve to death.

Al Bendiksen
08/27/2008, 09:07 PM
I am just a little bit afraid of too much direct sunlight.

Btw indy, i hope i didnt insult you in anyway by removing the pipe you sent. If i did, my apologize.

indydog1
08/28/2008, 10:42 AM
no way man. things are cool. i am glad that you got the end result you were looking for. :)

with the right inhabitants and clean up crew, and a little wipe here and there it can be maintained.

Al Bendiksen
08/29/2008, 04:25 PM
Alright gang, tomorrow is the big day!

Things to buy

1) Eggcrate (For the bottom of the DT)

2) (2) 18g Rubbermaid to hold the LR and Fish

3) 120~lbs of sand.

I'll make sure to take a lot of pictures :)

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 05:31 PM
Well sorry for the delay but here are the pictures of moving the aquarium.

Supplies:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1649.jpg

Getting ready and emptying the tank:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1652.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1653.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1654.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1660.jpg

Fish and water:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1656.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1657.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1658.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1659.jpg

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 05:32 PM
Removing sand and moving tank:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1655.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1661.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1667.jpg

Added eggcrate, LR and new sand:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1668.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1669.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1670.jpg

And the finish product!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1679.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1682.jpg

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 05:35 PM
Parents brought this home as a surprise. I fear for them.

Copperband:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1663.jpg

Seems like he is not eating. I've given it algae, frozen mysis shrimp, and formula 1. What do you think about buying LIVE brine shrimp or a clam at the market?? Any ideas?

Parents said it was a FoxFace. Not sure which one.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1664.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1665.jpg

And all of the QT together:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/Aquarium%20move/DSCN1684.jpg

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 05:41 PM
I need help!

My NEW substrate is turning yellow/brownish. Not as bad as the red slime of cyano. I have two of the three K4's pointed at the substrate.

I am not running phosban yet, i will try to get some tomorrow.

And i will do a 25g water change tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

mindytoy
09/05/2008, 06:05 PM
so why did u move the tank again?

Tswifty
09/05/2008, 06:12 PM
Glad to see the move went well.

I believe that Foxface is called a "Fiji Foxface"

Both look great Al... Nice additions. :thumbsup:

Tswifty
09/05/2008, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13298213#post13298213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
I need help!

My NEW substrate is turning yellow/brownish. Not as bad as the red slime of cyano. I have two of the three K4's pointed at the substrate.

I am not running phosban yet, i will try to get some tomorrow.

And i will do a 25g water change tomorrow.

Any other ideas?
Did you rinse the substrate before you added it?

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 06:13 PM
Oh i moved it because apparently it was starting to make our wood floor lift from its location. So we thought tile would be easier.

I started at 10am and ended around 12am. It was a long day! And my back was killing me the day after lol

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 06:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13298358#post13298358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Did you rinse the substrate before you added it?

Yes i did, i rinsed all of it. The water started mirky and was nice and clear by the end of each wash. Not sure if it could be the bulbs? Even though the whole set was bought back in May.

Tswifty
09/05/2008, 06:18 PM
No the bulbs should still be good... hmmm... got any pictures?

Al Bendiksen
09/05/2008, 07:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13298395#post13298395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
No the bulbs should still be good... hmmm... got any pictures?

Yeah here they are.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1706.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1708.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1709.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1710.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1711.jpg

Rustylugnuts
09/06/2008, 02:16 AM
Looks like diatoms to me, they love silicates. Seems as if the snails have found it but cant keep up. Don't worry it shouldn't be too persistent. When I had em they went away on their own in a few days.

FFrankie
09/06/2008, 05:52 AM
Yep, diatoms. Thats a good sign imo AL. You could get some sand sifters to work the sand. I had a sand sifting star for a long time until he found the closed loop intake :(
I am happy you removed that off the wood floor :) Looks better on the marble tile anyhow.

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys :-D I'll look into the sand shifters.

Btw, anybody have a Copperband butterflyfish? I am having trouble with mine. I just separated him with eggcrate from the other QT members. I think the FoxFace was nipping at his fins.

Parents just told me the price for the CBB was 100$!!!!! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I need all the info i can get to make him eat and survive!

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 01:20 PM
Alright i am having a little issue. My CBB is twitching!

He has what appears to be like a white smudge on is tail fin and on his body it seems almost like if his skin was shedding.

Ideas? What should i do?

I just added a clam and he seems to be picking at it

kar93
09/06/2008, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a parasite and he's trying to flick it off. I'd get him in QT and keep your eye on him for a few days, if it stays or gets worst then run him through hypo.

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 01:54 PM
I hope you can see them. And thankfully i already have him in the QT

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb2.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb3.jpg

And i am uploading a movie clip as we speak.

kar93
09/06/2008, 01:56 PM
I can see the ones on his body but not the fins. Although it's a good pic I can't quite tell what they are as they're too small. Are they raised or just like a small blotch?

Aquarist007
09/06/2008, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13301306#post13301306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Thanks guys :-D I'll look into the sand shifters.

Btw, anybody have a Copperband butterflyfish? I am having trouble with mine. I just separated him with eggcrate from the other QT members. I think the FoxFace was nipping at his fins.

Parents just told me the price for the CBB was 100$!!!!! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I need all the info i can get to make him eat and survive!

I had to qt my butterfly fish for 5 weeks until it was feeding properly. It still only eats mysis and brine shrimp but it is doing well in the display tank.
You can buy live black worms for them according to PaulB and they will eat those.

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 02:53 PM
Here is the video.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/th_DSCN1716.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/?action=view&current=DSCN1716.flv)

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 04:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13302358#post13302358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kar93
I can see the ones on his body but not the fins. Although it's a good pic I can't quite tell what they are as they're too small. Are they raised or just like a small blotch?

They seem like you could pull it off. Almost as when you get a sunburn and start to peel, and you can see how the skin is sticking out a little bit.

Here is a better pic!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb4.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb5.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/cbb6.jpg

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 04:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13302485#post13302485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I had to qt my butterfly fish for 5 weeks until it was feeding properly. It still only eats mysis and brine shrimp but it is doing well in the display tank.
You can buy live black worms for them according to PaulB and they will eat those.

Never even heard of that. I was about to ask you what you fed them but you answered it :)

Where do you buy black worms? I have frozen mysis and brine shrimp and red blood worms. My LFS said that i could find some LIVE brine shrimp on tuesday.

Conesus_Kid
09/06/2008, 04:33 PM
Those look like flukes to me. You may want to post those pics in the Fish Disease forum to double check.

I would pick up some Prazipro for treatment. You were very smart to have this fish in QT.

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13302972#post13302972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Conesus_Kid
Those look like flukes to me. You may want to post those pics in the Fish Disease forum to double check.

I would pick up some Prazipro for treatment. You were very smart to have this fish in QT.

Well i took your advice and started a little thread over there to get some help.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1466162

timschmidt
09/06/2008, 05:01 PM
Tank move looks successful. Seems the QT says the day on this one. Just make sure that you take into consideration the foxface before you start dosing.

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 05:03 PM
Well i have a 10g i can set up if i do have to dose the CBB.

I have a foxface and a cardinalfish in the QT that i am worried about.

I think that it may be a fungus. Tail rot?

Conesus_Kid
09/06/2008, 06:22 PM
Fin and tail rot usually will appear on the margins (edges) of the fins. Flukes are usually tough to see. If you can capture the fish easily, try a freshwater dip for 5-10 minutes. (Use RO/DI water w/ pH and temp that match your QT tank.)

If it's flukes, some will drop off in the freshwater container.

Keep us posted!

Aquarist007
09/06/2008, 06:26 PM
Al, if you go to my log book there is information on fresh water dips and flukes
Just press on the little red house

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks concesus_kid!

I will start making some new RO/DI

I am about to make a 10g change to the QT and 15 to the DT.

Aquarist007
09/06/2008, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13302943#post13302943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Never even heard of that. I was about to ask you what you fed them but you answered it :)

Where do you buy black worms? I have frozen mysis and brine shrimp and red blood worms. My LFS said that i could find some LIVE brine shrimp on tuesday.

I use frozen brine and mysis shrimp

In your area--ask Melev where to get black worms

Aquarist007
09/06/2008, 06:30 PM
black worms:

http://www.petsforum.com/characin/carey/reviews/food/black_worms.html

Al Bendiksen
09/06/2008, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13303532#post13303532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Al, if you go to my log book there is information on fresh water dips and flukes
Just press on the little red house

Thanks Capn'!

Should i did all of my QT members? Only the CBB is the one that is 'sick'. All the others seem healthy.

Aquarist007
09/06/2008, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13303558#post13303558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Thanks Capn'!

Should i did all of my QT members? Only the CBB is the one that is 'sick'. All the others seem healthy.

IMO all of them---they have been exposed now

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 04:39 PM
Well i am about to do the freshwater dip. I was just getting the pH right.

But i bought a coral today and did a fw dip and i found this starfish(?)

should i keep it or toss it?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1762.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1763.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1764.jpg

Aquarist007
09/07/2008, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13308561#post13308561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i am about to do the freshwater dip. I was just getting the pH right.

But i bought a coral today and did a fw dip and i found this starfish(?)

should i keep it or toss it?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1762.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1763.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1764.jpg

toss the green ones keep the brown/ grey ones

Aquarist007
09/07/2008, 05:03 PM
what's the update on the butterfly today?

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13308714#post13308714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
what's the update on the butterfly today?

Its tough. I just dip all three: CBB, Fiji Foxface, Banggai Cardinalfish.

The CBB was put in and then all his affected skin came off. Which i take it is good.

The Foxface not so good. I had to kill the powerhead in the QT because he is just floating and getting stuck by the suction. ( I fear for him, not sure what to do)

Cardinalfish was the best, he seemed to have enjoyed it.

About to dose, Cuperamine from Seachem. We decided at the LFS that it was the best choice.

I'll brb and keep you updated.

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 06:04 PM
I just dosed and added an extra Minijet pump that i had.

How many times am i supposed to do the freshwater dip?

And if more than once, do i toss the water i used today?

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 06:45 PM
Well i think the foxface well not be part of the QT group in a little while.

He is laying on his side flat on the tanks bottom. The CBB seems to be doing alright, as is the cardinalfish.

The foxface is just puffing and huffing. I added an airstone but not sure what else i can do.

raen
09/07/2008, 07:45 PM
Al I really hope the fish pulls through. I hate that for you.

indydog1
09/07/2008, 08:37 PM
hey al. seems like a rough go of it right now. i would add the airstone because you did cut the flow back. and maybe even cut the temp back a little might help too.

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13309779#post13309779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Al I really hope the fish pulls through. I hate that for you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13310149#post13310149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
hey al. seems like a rough go of it right now. i would add the airstone because you did cut the flow back. and maybe even cut the temp back a little might help too.

Thanks guys. I had to go drive my brother back to Georgetown (About a 45min drive from where i live) and i checked on the foxface and not so good.

He is still alive but sideways and laying on the ground. He is so weak that the Mini-jet 606 was sucking him in!!!

The current temp. is 78.8 i'll bring it a bit down.

Aquarist007
09/07/2008, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13309374#post13309374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i think the foxface well not be part of the QT group in a little while.

He is laying on his side flat on the tanks bottom. The CBB seems to be doing alright, as is the cardinalfish.

The foxface is just puffing and huffing. I added an airstone but not sure what else i can do.

are you monitoring the ammonia level in the qt---you might need a water change with all those fish in it.

are you running an hob filter on the qt?

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13310307#post13310307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
are you monitoring the ammonia level in the qt---you might need a water change with all those fish in it.

are you running an hob filter on the qt?

Yes i am running an Aquaclear (30g) but i took out the chemical filtration today because of the copper medication.

Also, i did a 12g water change yesterday and ammonia was not traceable.

timschmidt
09/07/2008, 09:15 PM
tough Hopefully he pulls through.

Tswifty
09/07/2008, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13310326#post13310326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Yes i am running an Aquaclear (30g) but i took out the chemical filtration today because of the copper medication.

Also, i did a 12g water change yesterday and ammonia was not traceable.
Why are you running copper again?

Al Bendiksen
09/07/2008, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13310440#post13310440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Why are you running copper again?

I dosed Cupramine from Seachem. I had a talk with a few guys down at my LFS and we went through a list of medications and what not. But since we were not 100% what was wrong with my fish we decided Cupramine would be the best thing.

So that is what i am doing. Keep in mind that i am doing this in my QT!

Paul B
09/08/2008, 04:47 AM
That fish has gill paracites. (Ich, flukes) The marks on it's skin do not mean anything. You can easily see by the way it is twitching and making short bursts that it is loaded with paracites. Copper, if properly dosed is the only thing that will save that fish.
Cuprimine will work but I prefer copper with formulin.
Just test the level of copper at least once a day and I see you have it in a bare tank with no calcium which is the way to go.
I doubt the fish will eat in that condition but as was said, live blackworms will be best. They are very common in NY but I understand they are non existant in other places.
Good luck.
Paul

Al Bendiksen
09/08/2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks Paul :)

I will test the levels of copper later in the day. (I am not home right now)

But not sure where to get blackworms in Texas?!

As for the fiji foxface, no luck there. He was still laying on his side on the bottom of the tank. He was still breathing though!

Al Bendiksen
09/08/2008, 07:55 AM
is the freshwater dip a one time deal or do i have to do it again?

Paul B
09/08/2008, 09:08 AM
You can try it a few times a day with the fish laying on their side. I don't think they will live anyway.
If you know a doctor or a Vet and you can get quinicrine hydrocloride, PM me and I will tell you haw to cure those fish in a day

Aquarist007
09/08/2008, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13312520#post13312520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
You can try it a few times a day with the fish laying on their side. I don't think they will live anyway.
If you know a doctor or a Vet and you can get quinicrine hydrocloride, PM me and I will tell you haw to cure those fish in a day

Please post Paul--others like myself are interested too---and I can add it to my log book blog
thanks
Scott

murphysfish
09/08/2008, 10:40 AM
got pics of tang?

Paul B
09/08/2008, 01:17 PM
Scott I think I posted this a few times but here it is.
I think I invented this combination so I doubt you will read about it.
People have used quinicrine hydrocloride for paracites because it is a malaria medication and although it works great on malaria, it is hit and miss with ich. But if used in combination with copper/formulin, it works very fast.
I personally have never lost a fish from this combination and I have used it on an entire store a few times. The quinicrine will tint the water yellow for a few days and may even temproarilly tint the fish.
The dosage is 10mg/gal quinicrine along with 0.3 ppm copper/formulin or just copper if that is all you have.
Do not overdose any of these medications. At 0.5 ppm of copper the fish will be affected and may die. Under 0.25 and the paracites will not be affected quickly enough. I would add half the amount of copper on the first day and after 12 hours add the rest of the dose to bring it up to 0.3 (unless the directions on the copper you are using says differently)
You need to test the copper every day as it will subside every day.

You will have to add more if it drops but do not add any more quinicrine.
You also should dim the lights as quinicrine is inactivated slowly by light.
The fish need to remain in this for 10 days but after the first day they should show very little paracites.
Quinicrine is a prescription drug and can be gotten from a doctor or vet. It is not easy to get in the US as we have eradicated malaria.

timschmidt
09/08/2008, 03:15 PM
LOL I think I have some of those pills from when I went to Iraq.

Rustylugnuts
09/08/2008, 04:52 PM
Sorry to see that your fish are sick:(. Hopefully the combo Paul B posted does the trick! (thanks for posting that btw Paul. I'll have to write that down)

Al Bendiksen
09/08/2008, 06:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13313987#post13313987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
Scott I think I posted this a few times but here it is.
I think I invented this combination so I doubt you will read about it.
People have used quinicrine hydrocloride for paracites because it is a malaria medication and although it works great on malaria, it is hit and miss with ich. But if used in combination with copper/formulin, it works very fast.
I personally have never lost a fish from this combination and I have used it on an entire store a few times. The quinicrine will tint the water yellow for a few days and may even temproarilly tint the fish.
The dosage is 10mg/gal quinicrine along with 0.3 ppm copper/formulin or just copper if that is all you have.
Do not overdose any of these medications. At 0.5 ppm of copper the fish will be affected and may die. Under 0.25 and the paracites will not be affected quickly enough. I would add half the amount of copper on the first day and after 12 hours add the rest of the dose to bring it up to 0.3 (unless the directions on the copper you are using says differently)
You need to test the copper every day as it will subside every day.

You will have to add more if it drops but do not add any more quinicrine.
You also should dim the lights as quinicrine is inactivated slowly by light.
The fish need to remain in this for 10 days but after the first day they should show very little paracites.
Quinicrine is a prescription drug and can be gotten from a doctor or vet. It is not easy to get in the US as we have eradicated malaria.

Thanks Paul :)

I wish i had a Vet as a friend, i could get that without them looking at me crazy!

But sadly i did not make home on time. I lost the Fiji Foxface :(

The CBB and the Cardinalfish are doing fine. I am considering giving them another freshwater dip tomorrow, and maybe a water change. (Last one i did was Saturday but maybe some fresh water can help remove some organics the foxface may have left)

I am not sure on the water change though. Since i am dosing i may throw off the level of copper.

Al Bendiksen
09/08/2008, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13315297#post13315297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rustylugnuts
Sorry to see that your fish are sick:(. Hopefully the combo Paul B posted does the trick! (thanks for posting that btw Paul. I'll have to write that down)

Thanks man. On a positive side, i have 2/3 still alive and the most expensive one is alive!

But do not get me wrong, i did not value my foxface less than the CBB.

Aquarist007
09/08/2008, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13315297#post13315297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rustylugnuts

I have it covered Rustylugnuts

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=283

Thanks Paul

Al Bendiksen
09/08/2008, 08:20 PM
So in a very, and i mean very, odd way i contributed to Capn' blog!! :) :)

I just had the fish and Paul did all the work lol TEAMWORK!!! :-D

Aquarist007
09/08/2008, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13316769#post13316769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mindytoy
09/09/2008, 01:01 AM
i can get those malaria pills for anyone whos interested

Rustylugnuts
09/09/2008, 02:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13316769#post13316769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen

This type of info wouldn't spread nearly as well if folks didn't post their experiences. So thanks for documenting one for the team and definitely keep us posted on the other 2.

I have it covered Rustylugnuts
Thanks bud:thumbsup: You've been pretty busy with that blog it's a great resource!

Paul B
09/09/2008, 04:29 AM
I am not sure on the water change though. Since i am dosing i may throw off the level of copper.

You should do a water change, just mix the copper in the new wter before you put it in the tank.

Mindy, If you could get those pills that would be great. I usually get them from a Veteranian cousin of mine but she is having trouble getting them.
I could use some for a LFS here that is having big problems.
I don't think they know what they are doing and I order fish from them but now they have no fish in the 40 or 50 tanks and they are bleaching the system.
I would like to cure their system so I can again order some stuff from them.
They were trying to copper dose their system with coral gravel in there. You would need ten times the dose of copper to eradicate paracites in tanks with coral gravel. The coral absorbs the copper very fast.
By the way, turn off the skimmer and of course don't run carbon with these or any medications. You don't have to change water after using quinicrine as the carbon will remove it.
You should keep some of these pills handy for a situation like this.
Have fun.
Paul

Aquarist007
09/09/2008, 08:25 AM
thanks Paul and thanks for the kudos Rustylugnuts

Al Bendiksen
09/09/2008, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13318232#post13318232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mindytoy
i can get those malaria pills for anyone whos interested

And thanks again Paul. I am about to do another freshwater dip on the CBB and Bangaii Cardinalfish.

I will dose again tonight (it said wait 48hrs and re-dose) after checking the level of Copper. I have no skimmer on the QT and i already removed the carbon.

I'll keep you posted guys :) Thanks for all the help!

Side note: Substrate is starting to get brown again. I just want to buy a MP20 or MP40 vortech stick it in there and then know for sure that it is not a problem of flow :)

Al Bendiksen
09/09/2008, 07:03 PM
I just did another freshwater dip to the CBB. about 3min and 40seconds. And i dosed the QT again.

I am about to order some phosphate remover to see if it helps out with my issue. My LFS sells it (when they have, once in a blue moon) at 29 bucks!! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Rustylugnuts
09/10/2008, 03:19 AM
I went with a pair of via auqa reactors, 6lbs or carbon and 2 lbs of GFO from bulkreefsupply. I just checked the site and now they carry brs dual reactors (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html) made from RO housings for cheaper than I paid for 2 separate reactors. Dang! if I'd have waited a few weeks I coulda saved a lil cash. I got 2 gallons of carbon for what I would have paid for 2 liters @ the LFS.

Edit: Wouldn't have saved much on the reactors. Mine came with the pumps to drive em and thats sold separately with the brs ones. I still wish I'd waited because the quality of materials and ease of use looks much better .

Aquarist007
09/10/2008, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13324916#post13324916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rustylugnuts
I went with a pair of via auqa reactors, 6lbs or carbon and 2 lbs of GFO from bulkreefsupply. I just checked the site and now they carry brs dual reactors (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html) made from RO housings for cheaper than I paid for 2 separate reactors. Dang! if I'd have waited a few weeks I coulda saved a lil cash. I got 2 gallons of carbon for what I would have paid for 2 liters @ the LFS.

Edit: Wouldn't have saved much on the reactors. Mine came with the pumps to drive em and thats sold separately with the brs ones. I still wish I'd waited because the quality of materials and ease of use looks much better .

I've got an old ro unit that I replaced this summer with an ro/di unit.
any idea what you need to do to adapt them to carbon and phosban reactors?

Tswifty
09/10/2008, 08:09 AM
My guess is you would just need to fill the media holders with carbon and GFO media, then plumb it through your system with a feed pump just like the phosban reactors.

It'd function just like the DI resin... encased in a plastic sleeve within the glass housing.

Al Bendiksen
09/10/2008, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13324916#post13324916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rustylugnuts

Seems like we are alike, i wish had seen that before i bought my two phosban reactors.

But yeah im going to buy bulk on GFO and Carbon!

I have three k4's and my Eheim 1262 that is releasing about 550-600gph.

Is that enough?

Aquarist007
09/10/2008, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13325658#post13325658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
My guess is you would just need to fill the media holders with carbon and GFO media, then plumb it through your system with a feed pump just like the phosban reactors.

It'd function just like the DI resin... encased in a plastic sleeve within the glass housing.

that seems to simple:D

sorry I didn't realize there was a video for it
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html

Just wondering where to get the plastic inserts for the media or if you could use a filter bag?

Rustylugnuts
09/10/2008, 01:20 PM
The plastic inserts look to me like what I have my DI resin in. My guess is that all you would need is the inlet tube that goes to the bottom (that may come in the DI cannister anyway) and some sponges that go around it. It would also be interesting to find the adapter that goes from the MJ to the ro tubing.
Hmm.. looks like a DIY page for the blog in the making.

Tswifty
09/10/2008, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13327253#post13327253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
Just wondering where to get the plastic inserts for the media or if you could use a filter bag?
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/di_resin.htm

$8.00 - EMPTY REFILLABLE DI RESIN CARTRIDGE

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/EMPTYCARTRIDGE.jpg

Aquarist007
09/10/2008, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13327533#post13327533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/di_resin.htm

$8.00 - EMPTY REFILLABLE DI RESIN CARTRIDGE

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/EMPTYCARTRIDGE.jpg

great--thanks TJ

Al Bendiksen
09/10/2008, 09:05 PM
Good luck building it Capn'!

Btw - i just bought my GFO and Carbon from Bulkreef. A lot better than the LFS.

So hopefully this will help with the algae on the substrate. Do y'all think i have too little flow (3 K4's and 600gph from the Eheim 1262).

And of course i am excited about the weekend .... HURRICANE IKE HITS TEXAS!!!!! :) :)

Tswifty
09/10/2008, 09:31 PM
I may stick a modded maxijet in the tank to rip some flow through it, and see if it makes a difference.

I'm also trying the reverse... removing my GFO to beat the cyano :lol:

Al Bendiksen
09/11/2008, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13330411#post13330411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I may stick a modded maxijet in the tank to rip some flow through it, and see if it makes a difference.

Wait, what??!! How is that suppose to work?

Tswifty
09/11/2008, 07:40 AM
It's just been my observation that the cyano has been getting progressively worse, since I have been changing my GFO media routinely. So basically I was starting to become a little skeptical of the value of GFO.

Then I noticed this thread yesterdy:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1467099

So I figured I don't have much to lose, might as well give it a shot.

Al Bendiksen
09/11/2008, 08:03 AM
Well who knows! It was an interesting read.

I have not been running phosphate remover for a good month, or even two months. And the cyano keeps growing!

Then again, i have not noticed my cheato growing. It seems the same and it has been in the fuge for about a month. It is lighted from about 6pm-12pm.

Im just going crazy with this cyano! It really makes your day seem like ---- when you get home and see your substrate all brown!!

Aquarist007
09/11/2008, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13330411#post13330411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8

use the maxi mod to mod a K4 and get 3000 gph out of it--real easy
check on my log book under Koralia power heads

Al Bendiksen
09/11/2008, 05:16 PM
Will do Capn'. But i believe it will have to wait until this weekend.

Update: The CBB seems to be eating mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and blood worms :)

His body seems to be doing a lot better. He has ONE white spot on his right fin. Hopefully that should go away in due time.

FUGE:

I just pulled out this weird dark purple algae(?) that was long and stringy. Any ideas?

I have a small Mini-Jet 606 running on the third bar. (There are four bars, im guessing speed) and when i touched the substrate was all hard. Should i had some snail or something down there?

Side note - i have TWO nass. snails down there.

Al Bendiksen
09/12/2008, 10:54 AM
Well i took a look at the mod kit for a K4 and it seems that i can't do it. I have a MJ 1200 magnet but i dont have an Octura 1440 propeller.

Not sure where to get that.

So i guess im going to have to stick another K4 or better yet, buy a more powerful powerhead.

Aquarist007
09/12/2008, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13339830#post13339830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i took a look at the mod kit for a K4 and it seems that i can't do it. I have a MJ 1200 magnet but i dont have an Octura 1440 propeller.

Not sure where to get that.

So i guess im going to have to stick another K4 or better yet, buy a more powerful powerhead.

did you check this out on the Capn' Koralia thread?
My understanding is you get two props with the mj mod kit--you replace the K4 with it(not sure of which one) and you are done.
You will need a maxi magnet however because of the force--you wouldn't want one of those babies breaking loose on you:eek2:

Tswifty
09/12/2008, 12:25 PM
It's called "Sure Flow 1600 Maxi Jet Upgrade Kit"

http://www.algaefree.com/sure_flow.html

http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/sureflow.htm

The kit comes with a 1600 GPH & a 2100 GPH propeller, and the magnets (which are sold seperately) are called "Sure Grip Magnetic Pump Holders"

http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/sure-grip.htm

It would end up costing me around $100 to mod each of my MJ1200's plus I'd need to pick up an interval timer... another $40 or so... So basically I decided just to look for new pumps altogether. hopefully some Tunze or VorTech's :D

Al Bendiksen
09/12/2008, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340099#post13340099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
did you check this out on the Capn' Koralia thread?
My understanding is you get two props with the mj mod kit--you replace the K4 with it(not sure of which one) and you are done.
You will need a maxi magnet however because of the force--you wouldn't want one of those babies breaking loose on you:eek2:

Yeah it was under the Korailia thread, page 2.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340354#post13340354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8

The kit comes with a 1600 GPH & a 2100 GPH propeller, and the magnets (which are sold seperately) are called "Sure Grip Magnetic Pump Holders"

It would end up costing me around $100 to mod each of my MJ1200's plus I'd need to pick up an interval timer... another $40 or so... So basically I decided just to look for new pumps altogether. hopefully some Tunze or VorTech's :D

Yeah that was exactly what i was looking at. I could save a few extra bones (a slang word for money) here and there and afford a MP20 or MP40 (most likely the MP20) Vortech! And then move the K4's around the tank.

Aquarist007
09/12/2008, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340354#post13340354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8

I was suggesting moding the K4 with the maxijet kit and getting close to 3000gph out of it.

Al Bendiksen
09/12/2008, 05:25 PM
So it would be buying three of the Maxi-jet 1200 upgrade kits.

But do i have to but the magnets as well??

Here is the dilemma: I'm really itching for the vortech, i love the way they move the water!!!!!!

Aquarist007
09/12/2008, 05:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13342047#post13342047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
So it would be buying three of the Maxi-jet 1200 upgrade kits.

But do i have to but the magnets as well??

Here is the dilemma: I'm really itching for the vortech, i love the way they move the water!!!!!!

maybe there is some confusion over the magnets. I was referring to the magnet kit that slides on the maxijet instead of the suction cups to hold it in place.
IMO you only need the prop from the maximod kit and you switch it out with the existing impeller on the koralia

Al Bendiksen
09/12/2008, 06:11 PM
ah! that makes more sense, i was a little slow today lol!

Tswifty
09/12/2008, 11:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13341836#post13341836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I was suggesting moding the K4 with the maxijet kit and getting close to 3000gph out of it.
I know that... but in my case it doesn't make sense to do so, since I have the K3's.

I already have 2 MJ1200's lying around... and even then, I would rather save the money and just buy a nice pump, rather than spending $100+ on a band-aid fix.

Tswifty
09/12/2008, 11:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340450#post13340450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Yeah that was exactly what i was looking at. I could save a few extra bones (a slang word for money) here and there and afford a MP20 or MP40 (most likely the MP20) Vortech!
That's exactly my point. :)

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 08:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13344098#post13344098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
That's exactly my point. :)

You Americans--have money to burn---:lol: :rollface: :lol:

Vortechs? I can't even afford a brine shrimp net:rolleyes:

Tswifty
09/13/2008, 09:57 AM
I hate buying things more than once... heck it's my job... eliminate rework.

Do it once... do it right. ;)

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13344918#post13344918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
You Americans--have money to burn---:lol: :rollface: :lol:

Vortechs? I can't even afford a brine shrimp net:rolleyes:

Correction,

"You Americans and Colombians have money to burn" :-D :-D

Or, you could say "You people from the Americas" But that would include you!

Plus like my soccer coach once told me, "In Colombia you guys sell that fine powder that makes everybody crazy and very active"

That is where my money comes from ........ COFFEE :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345503#post13345503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
I hate buying things more than once... heck it's my job... eliminate rework.

Do it once... do it right. ;)

In that case in your 220gal go with the close loop and no vortechs

Tswifty
09/13/2008, 11:12 AM
Closed loop and 2 Tunze streams is probably what it will be.

The closed loop will provide the majority of the flow, however I also wants some supplemental flow across the length of the tank

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 11:17 AM
I was going to do a closed loop on my 120g, but the whole drilling the tank made me change my mind.

Maybe on a future tank!

Btw, sad news today.

My Bangaii Cardinalfish died :(

He jumped out the QT tank. There was a one inch gap and he was ''smart'' enough to jump through it!

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345890#post13345890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
I was going to do a closed loop on my 120g, but the whole drilling the tank made me change my mind.

Maybe on a future tank!

Btw, sad news today.

My Bangaii Cardinalfish died :(

He jumped out the QT tank. There was a one inch gap and he was ''smart'' enough to jump through it!

that is too bad Al. Did you only have one or a group of them?

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 11:28 AM
Well i was going to buy 2 but the guy said it was hard to pair and the best would be buying 5. And i think 5 would be too much, so i bought 1.

And now i have 0! Damn!

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345959#post13345959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i was going to buy 2 but the guy said it was hard to pair and the best would be buying 5. And i think 5 would be too much, so i bought 1.

And now i have 0! Damn!

then help with the hurt and go and buy a cardinal fish--its a wonderful odd ball for your tank--doesn't bother anything
Look in the left hand corner--you will see mine just close to the pack but not with it

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/DSC_0339.jpg

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 12:06 PM
The pajama cardinal fish? How big is your group?

Btw - beautiful tank!!!

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13346153#post13346153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen

Btw - beautiful tank!!!

blue, sailfin, yellow powder blue tangs
foxface wannbe tang
coral beauty and cream angels
yellow and striped damsels(not in there by choice)
firefish
three various gobys
pajamma cardinal
2 anthias
1 bartlette

Aquarist007
09/13/2008, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13346153#post13346153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen

Btw - beautiful tank!!!

thanks but the coral really took a hit this summer with my "skimmergate"
so its back to the basics for a month or so, change the lights and introduce some new corals again

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 01:09 PM
So you only have one pajama cardinal?

And was the "skimmergate" when you were switching the skimmers?

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 02:05 PM
Well the CBB is acting up again.

He stay afloat vertically (as in facing down) and he did not accept brine shrimp nor mysis shrimp. I'll try to put in a algae clip but i doubt he will touch it.

I think i'll take the bold step of ordering black worms!

Al Bendiksen
09/13/2008, 05:34 PM
Well, lately my lawnmower blenny has been missing. And i believe i just found him.

When i moved the tank i decided to do the following things:

1)Add eggcrate on the bottom

2)Place the base rock on the eggcrate

3) Add sand

4) Finish rockwork

Well between adding the eggcrate and placing the rock, i forgot to place sand. So instead of placing the eggcrate and adding a a little bit of sand to cover the eggcrate and then the rock, i just added the rock.

So, there are three ''caves'' in my DT where you can actually see under the rock and see the eggcrate. Well in one of these ''caves'' i found what appears to be the dead body of the blenny.

There is no way on earth that i can take him out, unless i decided to take out half of the rock work. So i think the decomposing of his body will start to affect the water.

Btw - how do you get bristleworms into your sandbed?

Rustylugnuts
09/14/2008, 11:17 PM
The bristleworms are usually hitchhikers on LR or LS. I think mine came from the GARF grunge that I ordered back when I was setting up my 1st tank. Try to get a cuppa sand from a reefer who has em they would come in handy for takin care of any casualties you can't reach.

Aquarist007
09/15/2008, 07:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13347563#post13347563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well, lately my lawnmower blenny has been missing. And i believe i just found him.

When i moved the tank i decided to do the following things:

1)Add eggcrate on the bottom

2)Place the base rock on the eggcrate

3) Add sand

4) Finish rockwork

Well between adding the eggcrate and placing the rock, i forgot to place sand. So instead of placing the eggcrate and adding a a little bit of sand to cover the eggcrate and then the rock, i just added the rock.

So, there are three ''caves'' in my DT where you can actually see under the rock and see the eggcrate. Well in one of these ''caves'' i found what appears to be the dead body of the blenny.

There is no way on earth that i can take him out, unless i decided to take out half of the rock work. So i think the decomposing of his body will start to affect the water.

Btw - how do you get bristleworms into your sandbed?

Not to worry--in your size of tank--won't be a problem--its probably decomposed alot already anyway
If you are nervous check the ammonia for the next 48 hours--and be prepared to do a small water change
Doubt you will need it.

Get one of the guys close to send you some bristle worms--you could already have them but in the reef rock. I've broken reef rock apart before and it has had tons of them in there.

Aquarist007
09/15/2008, 07:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13346471#post13346471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
So you only have one pajama cardinal?

And was the "skimmergate" when you were switching the skimmers?

yes, and the berlin skimmer was just not doing the job either

I am now leaning towards GFO causing some of the death in the corals

Al Bendiksen
09/15/2008, 08:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13356150#post13356150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
yes, and the berlin skimmer was just not doing the job either

I am now leaning towards GFO causing some of the death in the corals

Really?!

Seems like that thread of yours is starting to change your mind!

I still plan on using my GFO (Because i ordered it last week) but i believe i'll just go with half the dosage that they recommend.

Aquarist007
09/15/2008, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13356282#post13356282 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Really?!

Seems like that thread of yours is starting to change your mind!

I still plan on using my GFO (Because i ordered it last week) but i believe i'll just go with half the dosage that they recommend.

In my case I had too much flow and ended up with a small pile of it in the sump

Al Bendiksen
09/15/2008, 03:33 PM
Ohh ok.

So i found a store that sells black worms!!! Sshe said that thwy would get them in either Tuesday or Thursday. I'll call Wednesday to see if they have any. How do i know if these worms have diseases or not?

The CBB is not eating!!

MINDYTOY - your mailbox is full! i cannot PM you!

Aquarist007
09/15/2008, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13358896#post13358896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Ohh ok.

So i found a store that sells black worms!!! Sshe said that thwy would get them in either Tuesday or Thursday. I'll call Wednesday to see if they have any. How do i know if these worms have diseases or not?

The CBB is not eating!!

MINDYTOY - your mailbox is full! i cannot PM you!

you don't---feed the cbb in the quarantine tank with them.

Al Bendiksen
09/15/2008, 07:08 PM
Hahaha i love it! It is a win/lose situation :)

Perfect to keep me full of adrenalin!! ;)

But yeah, the CBB is still the QT. Do i just throw them? Or give them a little wash, or do i need to use that floating canister? :confused:

Paul B
09/16/2008, 04:53 AM
The worms will live about ten seconds in salt water. The CBB will only eat them while they are wriggling so feed them a few at a time with a baster. Remove the dead worms.
Don't worry about if the worms are sick. If they have any paracites, they will be fresh water paracites and will not live in salt water. All live foods could theoretically harbor some infectious agents as can food you eat. Don't worry about it.
I have been feding them almost every day for about 40 years.
No problems yet.

Aquarist007
09/16/2008, 06:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13362411#post13362411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
The worms will live about ten seconds in salt water. The CBB will only eat them while they are wriggling so feed them a few at a time with a baster. Remove the dead worms.
Don't worry about if the worms are sick. If they have any paracites, they will be fresh water paracites and will not live in salt water. All live foods could theoretically harbor some infectious agents as can food you eat. Don't worry about it.
No problems yet.

thanks for answering Paul--I was hoping you would without bugging you to do so;)

I still feed mine twice a day mysis shrimp--that's all it will eat--its big fat and healthy--so I guess not to worry???

Al Bendiksen
09/16/2008, 09:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13362411#post13362411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
Don't worry about if the worms are sick. If they have any paracites, they will be fresh water paracites and will not live in salt water. All live foods could a harbor some infectious agents as can food you eat. Don't worry about it.
No problems yet.

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I'll keep you posted to know what happens. I'll try to get the worms tomorrow. And the CBB has a white spot on his fin again. Think I may do the whole malaria treatment. Do a water change today.

If I do a freshwater dip and then stick him back in the same QT water wouldn't he just get the parasite again?s

Paul B
09/16/2008, 03:59 PM
If I do a freshwater dip and then stick him back in the same QT water wouldn't he just get the parasite again?s
That would be a definate maybe.
Freshwater dips usually don't do much if the paracite is embeded in the mucus like they usually are.

Aquarist007
09/16/2008, 04:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13365873#post13365873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
That would be a definate maybe.
Freshwater dips usually don't do much if the paracite is embeded in the mucus like they usually are.

are black worms the same as blood worms?

Paul B
09/17/2008, 04:27 AM
yes, but there are alot of us with fresh water experience so

Nope, not even close. There are saltwater blood worms and they are very common on the shores here in NY but the red stuff you buy in a LFS called blood worms are not even worms. They are insect beetle larvae that happen to look like worms.
I doubt they have much nutrition either being mostly insect exoskelton. Worms are just about the best thing you could feed to fish, but not insect larvae

Al Bendiksen
09/17/2008, 05:04 PM
Well i called the LFS that had black worms and they told me they got a new shipment of worms on thursday but that they had some for sale.

I drive to the LFS just so the guy can tell me that he threw them out :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

And i can't get them tomorrow so i have to wait till friday!

I wanna stick the CBB in the DT just so he can eat something!!!!

Al Bendiksen
09/24/2008, 06:37 PM
Ok guys it has been awhile since the last update. School has been driving me crazy!!

But the CBB is eating black worms left and right! :-D

He is also eating mysis and brine shrimp!!

And the even better news, the white spots on his fins/body are starting to disappear!!! :celeb2: :celeb1: :celeb3:

Tswifty
09/24/2008, 07:31 PM
Great news! :thumbsup:

Al Bendiksen
09/24/2008, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13419467#post13419467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
Great news! :thumbsup:

I know!!

It's like knowing that your team won the game b/c you scored the last goal!!

(Of course if you have an a------ of a referee he would say it was out of side and you lose the game :thumbdown )

Al Bendiksen
09/28/2008, 10:22 AM
Well i bought a pink hammer coral yesterday and a small colony of orange/green Zoo's :-D :-D

My tank is finally taking shape!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aquarist007
09/28/2008, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13419084#post13419084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Ok guys it has been awhile since the last update. School has been driving me crazy!!

But the CBB is eating black worms left and right! :-D

He is also eating mysis and brine shrimp!!

And the even better news, the white spots on his fins/body are starting to disappear!!! :celeb2: :celeb1: :celeb3:

great news-----I wish I could get black worms up here.

Al Bendiksen
09/28/2008, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13441745#post13441745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
great news-----I wish I could get black worms up here.

Well i'd ship them to you but i don't think they allow to ship live products across borders :confused:

But for the bad news - the CBB (although eating) has the white spots on his fins and tail. He has been in a Copper treatment for well over 14days and still nothing!

I do not know what to do! It is driving me crazy.. I am going to look into Hyposalinity treatment or get my hands on those malaria pills

timschmidt
09/28/2008, 02:02 PM
Well I checked the pills I received for malaria while in Iraq. They are "chloroquine phosphate". If you want/need one let me know. I honestly don't remember if these are the right ones though.

**EDIT**

Apparently these are the wrong pills.

Aquarist007
09/28/2008, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13442053#post13442053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well i'd ship them to you but i don't think they allow to ship live products across borders :confused:

But for the bad news - the CBB (although eating) has the white spots on his fins and tail. He has been in a Copper treatment for well over 14days and still nothing!

I do not know what to do! It is driving me crazy.. I am going to look into Hyposalinity treatment or get my hands on those malaria pills

pm PaulB--he will know what to do;)

Al Bendiksen
09/29/2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks Capn' seems it just have to keep waiting it out. :rolleye1:

As a side note:

1) It seems that all my Astrea Snails (sp?) are dying! I know have about 6-7 empty shells on the substrate. But it is only them!

I have a feeling it is that darn crab my brother added to my DT ages ago when he found it in the ocean :mad2: :lol: :mad2:

2) Fuge was overtaken by cyano again! But i cleaned it out and hopefully it will stay like that. Although i am having a few issues with salt creep on the fuge.

It seems that the 90 degree that i have one inch in the water is having water fall everywhere when the air bubbles pop. Any ideas?

redtop03
09/30/2008, 06:39 AM
that cyana is a PITA,I been fighting it for a few weeks now in my fuge.

could you change the 90 to a 45 and divert the flow more downward,that might help

Al Bendiksen
09/30/2008, 08:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13453862#post13453862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redtop03
that cyana is a PITA,I been fighting it for a few weeks now in my fuge.

could you change the 90 to a 45 and divert the flow more downward,that might help

Well it never hurts to try. I will do that as soon as i get home.

Aquarist007
09/30/2008, 01:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13451760#post13451760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Thanks Capn' seems it just have to keep waiting it out. :rolleye1:

As a side note:

1) It seems that all my Astrea Snails (sp?) are dying! I know have about 6-7 empty shells on the substrate. But it is only them!

I have a feeling it is that darn crab my brother added to my DT ages ago when he found it in the ocean :mad2: :lol: :mad2:

2) Fuge was overtaken by cyano again! But i cleaned it out and hopefully it will stay like that. Although i am having a few issues with salt creep on the fuge.

It seems that the 90 degree that i have one inch in the water is having water fall everywhere when the air bubbles pop. Any ideas?

I would think the crab would definetly be going after the snails.
Alot of crabs are defineltly not reef safe.

Al Bendiksen
09/30/2008, 04:43 PM
Well i know what you mean capn' but it is only one!!

Hahaha he must be really starving!

Al Bendiksen
10/05/2008, 05:09 PM
Well sorry for the slow updates but i have not had time to work on my aquarium.

I went to LFS today to get about 30g of water and buy a few goodies.

Well on my way back home two of the 5gal jugs tipped over (the lids were not tightened correctly) and i had 10gal spill inside the car's carpet. :rolleye1:

Anyway, i need help with my CBB.

About a 5 days ago i moved him out of the 29QT into a 10QT. I emptied the 29g and refilled it today and i am getting ready to put the CBB in there.

He has been in a .5ppm of Copper for about two 1/2 weeks and no luck. So the LFS told me to raise the temp. to about 84 degrees Fahrenheit and to lower the salinity to 1.016!

what do you guys think? should i follow his tips? And should i dose with copper again?

Paul B
10/06/2008, 05:32 AM
Do not lower the salinity when you are using copper. You should have been monitoring the copper level at least once a day, twice is better. Copper disapates continousely and when it goes low, you need to start the process all over again. You may have to ad copper every day. Copper works every time, it is guaranteed as long as you keep the levels where they should be.
Raising the temp is a good Idea.

Al Bendiksen
10/06/2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks Paul :-D

I have a weird feeling i totally forgot about keeping copper constant :rolleye1:

Well ill raise temp and keep the copper where it belongs!!!

Thank you!!

Al Bendiksen
10/06/2008, 04:34 PM
Ok this is going to sound weird, but is anybody allergic their salt water at home?

It appears that every time i stick my hand in salt water, the next day i get hives. i think. I get small bumpy red clusters on the skin and they are a wee bit itchy.

I have a pair of PVC gloves that i guess i'll have to wear every time! :rolleye1: :rolleye1:

But does anybody else get these types of reactions? Or am i just weird?? :rollface:

Rustylugnuts
10/06/2008, 05:55 PM
My knee jerk reaction would be to say "your wierd" but then again us reefers are a strange bunch to begin with so it wouldn't really carry much weight.

I don't get any reactions from just reaching in but if I get a good poke from a vermitid snail by picking up some LR the puncture usually gets pretty inflamed and painful for a few days. Moreso than gettin stabbed by say a cactus spine or a splinter.

Paul B
10/07/2008, 04:55 AM
But does anybody else get these types of reactions? Or am i just weird??

I guess your wierd

Tswifty
10/07/2008, 06:24 AM
A worker at the LFS near my old home used to have the same thing happen. He would actually get your fish, set it in a container, then go rinse off real quick, then come back to bag it and ring you up.

I always thought it was odd, so one time I asked him why he did that, and he told me he had an allergic reaction or something if he didn't rinse right off.

Al Bendiksen
10/07/2008, 08:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13496407#post13496407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rustylugnuts
My knee jerk reaction would be to say "your wierd" but then again us reefers are a strange bunch to begin with so it wouldn't really carry much weight.

QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13499027#post13499027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
I guess your wierd [/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well i guess it is better to be weird rather than be a ''normal'' person :rollface:

Al Bendiksen
10/07/2008, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13499251#post13499251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty8
A worker at the LFS near my old home used to have the same thing happen. He would actually get your fish, set it in a container, then go rinse off real quick, then come back to bag it and ring you up.

I always thought it was odd, so one time I asked him why he did that, and he told me he had an allergic reaction or something if he didn't rinse right off.

Yeah sounds about right. It's just odd having an allergic reaction to salt water :eek2: :eek1:

Al Bendiksen
10/07/2008, 05:34 PM
Hey Paul,

How long do i keep the temp. at 84? Also, just checked the copper level and it is stable! I am now checking twice a day, morning and night.

I also started feeding the DT and QT with garlic.

I some how got a little bit of the garlic on my hands so the smell was not so pleasant. But a little tip for the future if anybody gets garlic or onion smell stuck to their hands and cant wash it away with soap, use a lime and wash you hands with it!! Kills the smell away!! :eek2: :) :D

Al Bendiksen
10/08/2008, 02:27 PM
Well i finally found out what the CBB has, i think.

It is lymphocystis!!!

It said on most articles that most of the time it has to do with bad water quality. Last time i checked it was all fine, but ill double check.

Al Bendiksen
10/09/2008, 05:36 PM
Quick question,

Just checked the calcium level and i am at 380. I know it is low, so how do i start raising it?

Do i need to buy the dosing? Or should i do the kalk water?

Also, my pink hammer coral as a few white dots here and there, is that normal?

Al Bendiksen
10/10/2008, 03:29 PM
Well to make my not so good day even better, the CBB bit the dust! :mad2: :mad2:

Somehow he got his mouth stuck into the Penguin pump i had (along with a MJ1200) and it killed him.

What ****es me off the most is that the copper dosing was working he was starting to heal and get better!

And to top it off, my grandma has the guts to say, "Well, it's a waste of money anyway" :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I'll clean the water, add carbon and hopefully buy a new fish to start the whol QT process again.

timschmidt
10/10/2008, 10:07 PM
Tough luck Al. Sorry to hear about the CBB.

Tswifty
10/10/2008, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13516627#post13516627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Quick question,

Just checked the calcium level and i am at 380. I know it is low, so how do i start raising it?

Do i need to buy the dosing? Or should i do the kalk water?

Also, my pink hammer coral as a few white dots here and there, is that normal?
Limewater (kalk) is a good way to MAINTAIN levels. You'll need to pick up a Calcium supplement to dose to RAISE your levels to where you want them. Then the limewater (kalk) or 2-part will keep them there.

raen
10/10/2008, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13522502#post13522502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Well to make my not so good day even better, the CBB bit the dust! :mad2: :mad2:

Somehow he got his mouth stuck into the Penguin pump i had (along with a MJ1200) and it killed him.

What ****es me off the most is that the copper dosing was working he was starting to heal and get better!

And to top it off, my grandma has the guts to say, "Well, it's a waste of money anyway" :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I'll clean the water, add carbon and hopefully buy a new fish to start the whol QT process again.

Buddy..................................That blows! Tell Grandma that fish was one of gods creatures, and wanted to live too.......at least it would work with my G-ma. :)

timschmidt
10/11/2008, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13499783#post13499783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Yeah sounds about right. It's just odd having an allergic reaction to salt water :eek2: :eek1:

FYI Sophia has this same type of reaction, but then again she had eczema as a child and has contact dermatitis to most things.

Al Bendiksen
10/12/2008, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13524964#post13524964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raen
Buddy..................................That blows! Tell Grandma that fish was one of gods creatures, and wanted to live too.......at least it would work with my G-ma. :)

Haha thanks Raen, i'll run it by her.

I'll keep you posted :lol:

Al Bendiksen
10/12/2008, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13528157#post13528157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timschmidt
FYI Sophia has this same type of reaction, but then again she had eczema as a child and has contact dermatitis to most things.

Oh! :eek:

But i don't believe i've ever had eczema! But it's all good, it ain't no thing. :lol:

Aquarist007
10/12/2008, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13531541#post13531541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
Oh! :eek:

But i don't believe i've ever had eczema! But it's all good, it ain't no thing. :lol:

yeah--grandma's are good to hit up for extra cash---you just have to creative at spining your sitution with them.

Al Bendiksen
10/14/2008, 07:40 PM
Some things to ID please! :)

I just looked into my DT with a flashlight and saw little things crawling around in the floor :eek2:

But what are they? I couldnt get a picture of them b/c they would hide when the flashlight was pointed at them. (i read that i need a red bulb flashlight???)

The things crawling were about 1/2 to 1cm long with two antennas and they would curl up when the light it them. Any ideas?

NEXT ITEM:

Also, this little fella i have seen on the glass a few times. He is pink, about 1/2cm with little ''spines'' on his back.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1829.jpg

COCONUT SHAVING:

So one of the rocks has this little white coconut shaving type deal. I dont think it is aptasia, but i could be wrong.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1828.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1826.jpg

CORAL:

My hammer coral is doing good, seems to be growing (or it could be my mind playing tricks :D ), but what concerns me is the little white dots in has on the tentacles.

Is that normal?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1830.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1832.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/DSCN1831.jpg

Al Bendiksen
10/14/2008, 07:41 PM
And for fun, me getting me hands cleaned :lol: :lol:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/th_DSCN1819.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/?action=view&current=DSCN1819.flv)

Al Bendiksen
10/15/2008, 04:00 PM
Well it seems that those little creatures were ''living'' in one of my Zoo's. I have taken out the zoo and put it in the QT.

I just dipped it in Reef Dip ( i know sounds kinda lame, but it is the only thing the CLOSEST lfs had) for about 7min. Just like 2 little bugs came out. I could see little tiny bugs moving on top of the Zoo's but i could not remove them!!

How do i take them off? It seems like the dip made them no harm.

raen
10/15/2008, 10:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13547592#post13547592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
And for fun, me getting me hands cleaned :lol: :lol:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/th_DSCN1819.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/Aquarium/?action=view&current=DSCN1819.flv)

That makes me want o drive to the LFS and buy two of those guys! SWEET!!!

timschmidt
10/16/2008, 08:11 PM
May be a nudi branch that eats zoos. Fresh water dip? Not sure Al. Good luck though.

Aquarist007
10/16/2008, 08:19 PM
I think they are just copopods or inverts

Aquarist007
10/16/2008, 08:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13561661#post13561661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by timschmidt
May be a nudi branch that eats zoos. Fresh water dip? Not sure Al. Good luck though.

here is a blog on how to dip corals

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=290

Al Bendiksen
10/17/2008, 09:49 AM
thanks tim. Well pods crossed my mind, but they r not letting my zoos open!

Thanks for the link cap'n :)

Aquarist007
10/17/2008, 10:28 AM
where are the zoos placed in your tank Al?