PDA

View Full Version : Methods To Fix Mushrooms To Live Rock

FutureBoyGenius
08/13/2008, 11:22 AM
I have tried gluing my mushroom three times with super glue gel and it has worked varying amounts of times. Now it is all shriveled up rolling across my sand. I am getting aggrivated because the little guy can not stay put long enough to get back to his size when I bought him.

I know there has to be more/better methods of fixing mushrooms to LR rubble. Mushrooms are common so there has to be a common way to get them to be stationary.

Should I pull him out again and this time let the glue sit for like 5minutes? I know this is a long time outside of the tank, but he is probably going to die if he is all the time rolling around in my tank.

The methods I know of are:

Super Glue Gel
Rubberband
Jar with Rubble

Expound on the tricks to making these methods work.

Julian H
08/13/2008, 12:08 PM
With a rubber band, dont be afraid to go right across its mouth and let it go after its firmly attached (few days?) Super glue doesn't really work with shrooms cause they have a heavy slime coating. The best way is to use bridal veil. Just cut a 3 inch square piece and wrap it around a shroom and a rock and use a rubber band to keep the bridal veil tight.

FutureBoyGenius
08/13/2008, 12:33 PM
What about panty hose? Are they too tight knit?

FutureBoyGenius
08/13/2008, 09:16 PM
I am pretty sure I solved my problem! I used a gauze pad 2" by 2" and unfolded it. I just wrapped it loosely around my rubble and tucked it under the rock. Hopefully this will just keep the mushroom close enough to the rock that it will attach.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/marketwise1234/DSC02456.jpg

What do you think?

Siscim23
08/14/2008, 08:45 AM
Looks like that should do it. I have a hairy mushroom I'm having problems with, I kept using a rubber band but it would come out from the rubber band. I finally took some panty hose, tore a few holes in them to assure good water movement, and dropped a small piece of rock in there and set the mushroom on top. I hung the panty hose into the top of the water.

FutureBoyGenius
08/14/2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah I was going to use panty hose but they are very tight knit. You should be ok if you tore holes in them though. The gauze seems to be holding up and it has plenty of flow and light. I hope my mushroom decided to call it home.

I hope the gauze proves to be helpful for some of you.

Nano Chris
08/14/2008, 10:07 PM
I guess you could have used a toothpick also.

SAPseven
08/15/2008, 05:23 AM
gauze is a bad idea.. i tried it before... it breaks down in the tank .. and then yur ganna have little white pieces floating around everywhere and get an algea outbreak ..trust me i've suffered this before

BumpyJohnson
08/16/2008, 11:32 PM
Use a needle and fishing line to tie it on to a piece of rock.

bundybear1981
08/18/2008, 09:03 PM
I used some toothpicks to get my mushs to get goin to the rock, worked really well.

WLachnit
08/19/2008, 09:26 AM
I just wrapped mine with thread around a rock, seems to have worked. Didn't think about the thread breaking down though.