PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need A Skimmer/refugium?

kernyboy
08/13/2008, 02:32 PM
I hear alot of talk about Refugiums and Skimmers...Do I need this on my 10 Gallon Nano tank? Are the results night and day by way of water quality and clarity?

My LFS sold me an aqualand biowheel filter....however I see alot of people on the forum using refugiums etc. Am I missing something here? Am I doing something wrong?

Do they make an all in one box I can just hang on to the back of my tank? Any recommendations? If you guys can submit pics of your set up that would be great too. I'm still learning and looking for an elegant solution.

As far as space is concerned, My tank isn't on a stand...its sits on the island in my kitchen...so ideally I'm looking for something that is'nt too much of an eye sore. Thanks again guys!

Flavum
08/13/2008, 02:41 PM
theres a million and one ways to run a succesful saltwater tank. youll run into alot of ways to filter tanks. A refugium and or skimmer is NOT needed. they both have huge upsides to using them although.

for a long time all I ran on my 40 breeder was alot of water flow and live rock. Frequent small water changes were done on it weekly and it flourished. honestly If I had a choice between running no filter and the biowheel filters I wouldnt them. there are a couple nano skimmers that are on the market now. the only one ive persoanlly had experience with is the rio nano. It does a decent job but usually has to be played with alot to get it primed.

kernyboy
08/13/2008, 02:52 PM
so....I should NOT be running the biowheel?

Ricunger
08/13/2008, 03:17 PM
I ran biowheel and loved it... but since i switched it all over to a aquapod i had no need for it.

Flavum
08/13/2008, 03:24 PM
im not saying you shouldnt run it but if it were me I wouldnt even bother using it.

JLopez
08/13/2008, 04:45 PM
basically, your biowheel is only going to suck out debris and then catch it in the filter cartridge. the filter cartridges have a SMALL amount of carbon. It would probably work better if you dropped a small bag of carbon or purigen in there with a piece of filter floss in front of it. If your going to be doing frequent water changes-meaning at least one gallon a week, which will only take you about 3 minutes- just run power heads and you'll be fine. However, there is ALWAYS an advantage in using good filter media, depending on the tanks livestock. I have a 10 gallon sps tank and I use the biowheel with a bag of carbon and phosgaurd. 1 gallon water changes weekly. basically its a matter of preference.

bsagecko
08/13/2008, 05:08 PM
i like the fuge idea not only because it filters but also increases biodiveristy

kernyboy
08/13/2008, 08:29 PM
hmmm...I actually have the cartridge, as well as a carbon bag in there as well. So basically, what I have is fine? whats phosgaurd?

cutegecko3
08/14/2008, 12:12 AM
I would start your system without either.If nitrates and phosphates become a problem then you might consider one or both.

AwkwardParrot
08/14/2008, 07:46 AM
run what you got, the nice thing about this hobby, you live and learn for your next tanks. I know plenty of people running a HOB filter as the primary filtration (tanks are 210g and smaller). Just think, your next tank (a 10g) you can do something like this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/Tripp5050/My%20Tank/10g%20with%20fuge/DSC_0001.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/Tripp5050/My%20Tank/10g%20with%20fuge/DSCN1006.jpg

kernyboy
08/14/2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I suppose. I just want to be one of the cool kids with their fancy refugiums and what not. Cocky bastards lol. :)

AwkwardParrot
08/14/2008, 09:10 PM
lol, i got the idea from a friend. i need to post some new pix of her running!