PDA

View Full Version : Quick GFO question...

bridun22ajl
08/13/2008, 05:01 PM
I just bought 2 pounds of the pellet GFO off bulkreefsupply that im going to run in a twolittlefishes reactor on a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I never have really ran gfo but i use chemipure elite which has some gfo in it but i want to ditch that and use strickly GFO.

My question is...how much do I start with since i never have really used it before?

tkeracer619
08/13/2008, 05:16 PM
1/4 - 1/2 the recomended amount.

Watch your alk, thats what it effects when you first start using it.

One thing to note is that the first batch will be useless after a few hours in the tank. It won't last as long as advertised. I would change out the phosban after the first day with fresh media. You can slowly add more media as you swap it out for fresh.

AZDesertRat
08/13/2008, 06:09 PM
Two Little Fishies recommends half the normal dosage to start with working up to the full 150 grams over time, so 75 grams to begin with.

bridun22ajl
08/13/2008, 06:39 PM
how do i measure 75 grams? im sure everyone that uses phosban doesnt use a scale..?

this is what bulkreefsupply recomends..
"Determine the amount of GFO needed. Start with 2 grams of Granular or Pelletized GFO (1 gram of HC GFO) per gallon of water in the system. After a few months the organisms in the tank will have adjusted to the lower phosphate environment. At this time the amount of Granular and Pelletized GFO can be increased to 3-5 grams (2-3 grams of HC GFO) per gallon of water. Please note that these amounts are suggested starting points. As each tank is different, it may be necessary to vary the amount used for better results."