PDA

View Full Version : Timers, that work after time interval passed?

dendro982
08/14/2008, 08:07 AM
Couldn't find needed information, maybe you can help.

The hardware store timers could be set at particular times of day.
Wavemaker - on-off at the small preset intervals.

I need something, that will turn on filtration 1 hr after feeding. Does such thing exist?

gimmic
08/14/2008, 08:14 AM
Is your feeding automated? Put the feeding device on the same timer controlled power strip as your filtration.
Feeding kicks on at 5pm for 1 minute, filtration kicks on at 6pm till 4:45 pm?

Donw
08/14/2008, 08:52 AM
You can use a ELK-960 set to run as a one shot relay. This will give you a 1-60 min feeding timer.

Don

rick s
08/14/2008, 09:03 AM
You want a timer that has "Reverse Action" contacts.
When you set the timer to a time, it opens the contacts and disables power.
When the timer finishes, it closes the contacts.
Intermatic makes them.
I have 2 of them: One on my main pump for feeding and one on my skimmer to stop it for a time after I feed phyto.

I have a lengthy post about Reverse Action timers on here somewhere. Let me know if you want it and I'll dig around for it.

maharkona
08/14/2008, 10:10 AM
I love my REEFKEEPER 2. Couldn't live without it. Best investment I have on my tank. Controls auto top-off, shut down all pumps for an hour with the touch of the botton. You can program it to stay off longer or shorter for periods of time. My tank is so automated, its scary. LOL

dendro982
08/15/2008, 06:52 AM
Thank you so much! Invaluable information for me.
You see, the feeding is manual, whenever I (or somebody else having time in home) have time, several times a day (hopefully, after I reduce the number of tanks to 1-2, I can set automatic feeding). The $30 timers are quite affordable solution for multiple tanks, and one headache less :)

Rick, if it takes not too much of your time, post a link, please.

Thanks again! This is a way to go.

BeanAnimal
08/15/2008, 07:20 AM
If you want to build a little electronics project...

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/555-based-feeding-timer.aspx

If not, then a simple "bathroom" lamp/fan timer (either the mechanical or electronic) type will work. You can purchase them with NC (normally closed) contacts. When you twist the dial, the connected load is turned off. When the timer counts down, the load is turned back on. If you CAN NOT find (or order) the batheroom timer with NC contacts, you can make one very easily. You would use the standard timer with NO (Normally Open) contacts and connect it to the coil of a 120V relay. The LOAD would be connected to the NC (Normally Closed) relay contacts. When you turn the timer on, it will energize the relay coil and therefore pull the contacts away from the NC position and de-energize the load. When the timer ends, the coil will de-energize and allow the contacts of the relay to snap back to the NC position and energize the LOAD.

rick s
08/15/2008, 11:13 AM
Here is the old post.

I wired an Intermatic brand, standard in-wall, spring wound, house timer in an electrical box. I used a good quality extension cord, cut one wire and ran it to the terminals on the timer, and then plugged my main pump into the end.

When I feed, I turn the dial on the timer to whatever time I want. The pump stops, and all my food stays in the main tank. After whatever time I set it to, it turns back on.

The beauty of it is I can never forget to turn it back on. The timer I bought also has a position that will keep it off indefinitely (called Hold), if I want to use it.

Make sure the timer you get has N.O. and N.C. contacts. Most timers turn things ON for a period of time. They use Normally Open (N.O. ) contacts. You want it to turn the pump OFF for a period of time. You want one that also has Normally Closed (N.C.) contacts.

“Normally”means its normal, or rest, position (when the timer is not doing anything).
Normally Open means: In the “rest” position, the circuit is open (disconnected). No power goes through the timer.
Normally Closed means: In the “rest” position, the circuit is closed. The contacts are connected. Power is going through the timer to whatever is wired to it.
You want to run the wires to the N.C. terminals. I got mine from my local electrical supply store.

I used the Intermatic, model FF32HH (SPDT) timer. It has the HOLD feature. I chose a 2 hour timer because a simple 1/4 turn (one twist of the wrist) will turn it off for 30 minutes (rather than having to turn the knob twice). Wire it according to the “Reverse Action Switching” Directions.

The “FF” model has a brushed aluminum faceplate.
You can get an “FD” model. It has an ivory color faceplate and knob.
You can also get them with different maximum times (1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour).

Hope this helps.

BeanAnimal
08/15/2008, 11:22 AM
Hrmm somehow that old post looks familiar

rick s
08/15/2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Bean.
Nope. I didn't steal it. I wrote this for a guy over 2 1/2 years ago. Here's the link. My original is even older than that, I guess it's in the archives area.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=809269&highlight=timer

BeanAnimal
08/15/2008, 01:28 PM
ohh.. I wasn't trying to say you stole it. I just remember there being a lot of talk about how to "modify" timers and myself and several other (you included) people mentioning that a standard NO timer could be used with a relay and/or NO/NC timers could be ordered. I just recognized the post thats all...

rick s
08/15/2008, 01:36 PM
Cool. :thumbsup:

dendro982
08/16/2008, 04:57 AM
Thank you both, now I will know.
So many fine things about reefkeeping, learning, learning, learning :)