PDA

View Full Version : golden puffer not eating

n.son29
08/14/2008, 09:15 AM
I have a golden puffer in my tank for about 6 months now. He had been feeding only on frozen krill. I had tried to feed it with raw clam, raw mussell, raw squid, frozen shrimp, silverside... all of which did not interest the puffer.

Now about 10 days ago, it decided that it is no longer interested in the frozen krill either and stop eating. It looks to be ok, no visible sign of illness except for its behavior is a bit eradic...swimming from one end of the tank to another end in rapid motion.

Has anyone had success with feed the golden puffer with other food?

predator 1
08/14/2008, 10:21 AM
I have a Golden Puffer (Arothron Meleagris) When I first got him, he went on hunger strike for several weeks. I tried to tempt him with virtually every shellfish on the market. He refused them all except the uncooked (Grey) Pacific Prawns.
Once I got him feeding, he started accepting other foods. It is not uncommon for Arothrons to do this occasionally. I will try to post you a pic of mine, but I am finding it really difficult to upload on this Forum.

hayes112
08/14/2008, 12:52 PM
My golden puffer did this as well. I tried to vary his diet as much as possible after I found out that a krill diet will basiclly kill them since krill lacks in nutrition. I feed mine a krill diet probably for 3 months and after that he would take some oyster, clam, prawn etc. But he still ended up dying. Mine eventually got lock jaw and died, I didnt know what was wrong with him for the longest time. He used to be very mouthy biting rocks , tasting whatever was in the tank then he just stopped. Check and see if hes moving his mouth if it looks to always be open or shut then thats a bad sighn.

e55MD
08/14/2008, 12:59 PM
My Golden Puffer is a very finicky eater too. I finally find something he will eat, he eats it for a while, and then he starts refusing that food. Keep trying many different things. Also, make sure that he does not have any obvious signs of disease.

Pufferpunk
08/14/2008, 10:25 PM
Please read this about krill:
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic72164-10-1.aspx

n.son29
08/15/2008, 08:07 AM
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INSIGHTS

reefer334
08/15/2008, 12:49 PM
Try nori mine loved nori.

In fact all he would eat was nori and N/life pellets.

Mine died from gill flukes,

I would highly recommend you treat him for flukes and worms.

Praziquantrel for worms and Formalin 3 for flukes.

Chris