PDA

View Full Version : 9010 question, how deep in sump?

Runfrumu
08/14/2008, 05:21 PM
does it make a difference how deep the water is in the sump where the 9010 is? I know it's supposed to be between 3.9 and 9 inches, but does it skim better like alot of skimmers being closer to the surface or does it skim better being deeper?

Thanks

rvitko
08/15/2008, 09:44 AM
It should have no real effect, the water level is set by the standpipe and should be internally constant regardless of external level. For practical reasons I find 6-8 inches ideal, less bubbles enter the water due to the shorter fall of the exiting water and you have a safety margin to prevent the pump from running dry.

Runfrumu
08/15/2008, 01:22 PM
so if i made a longer standpipe with a ball valve to turn the flow off and on while i cleaned the cup, I could have the water level running higher in the neck and make it skim as wet as I wanted too?

Thanks'

rvitko
08/15/2008, 02:47 PM
It may work but it is a very fine line, if you back up the water too high it will flood the air intake and greatly reduce the performance. The pipe is 1", I might try making a pipe that was just 1 or 2mm taller as an experiment but you would have to be very precise, for that matter you could probably back the pipe out of the elbow a hair.