PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing my salt mix with a mag supplement

jlinzmaier
08/14/2008, 07:13 PM
Found my salt mix (red sea) to be a bit low in mg lvls. Everything else checks out great and the tank responds well to the salt mix so I thought I'd just add some Tech-M or some other mag supplement to the freshly mixed water. I happened to have some Tech M on hand and the calculator showed I needed to add 486ml of Tech M to my 30 gallons of freshly mixed water to bring the mag level from 1000 to 1300.

Just wondering if it's OK for me to add it all at once or if I should do it over a day or so. Not sure if changing the mag level quickly would precipitate out any trace elements or cause any other ionic imbalance.

Thanks.

Jeremy

jansenwrasse
08/15/2008, 06:38 AM
It should br fine to add it to the mixing tank. I personally would add about 2/3 of that ammount before adding the salt to prevent any abiotic precipitation inside of the tank.

Hope this helps :)

jlinzmaier
08/15/2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks Jansen.

Jeremy

jansenwrasse
08/15/2008, 08:20 AM
;) No sweat, glad I could help

Maybe others will chime in with ideas also :D

fred fishstone
08/15/2008, 12:19 PM
I've been adding magnesium to Reef Crystals for quite awhile. I mix about 16 gallons of SW at a time and add enough Seachem powder or ESV liquid to go from roughly 1050 to roughly 1350. Never noticed any precipitation, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for either.