PDA

View Full Version : just picked up a 55-gallon and getting ready

night_blade
08/14/2008, 08:18 PM
so i just bought a used (excellent condition) 55 gallon aquarium for 100 bucks. it came with some supplies (light, glass tops, under gravel filter, hood) but most of that was crap and im looking for feedback for equipment suggestions for 55-gallon saltwater tanks. Ivebeen doing research for about a week and everyone like "well, you might want this, but this is good too, and don't forget about this option" and im sick of it, i would like decisive answers with specific equipment good for 55-gallon

ryancaudill
08/14/2008, 08:21 PM
fish only, fish with live rock, or reef tank? This will affect what you need.

kalebsdad21
08/14/2008, 08:24 PM
Welcome you will get good advice in these forums. I have a nova extreme and I love it. The only advice I will give though is take your time dont rush things. Good luck great hobby. :)

night_blade
08/14/2008, 08:25 PM
i'm pretty sure i'll do a fish only with live for starters, but after a year or so of success (probally sooner) ill upgrade to a reef tank (using the same tank if possible)

crvz
08/14/2008, 08:31 PM
If you're starting with a fish only, about the only piece of equipment I'd focus on right now is a good skimmer. Are you going to run the tank with a sump (another tank under the display to house equipment), or do you need something that hangs on the side of the tank?

ryancaudill
08/14/2008, 08:33 PM
A lot depends on your budget. If you start bare bones and get further into the hobby be prepared to realize the stuff you originally bought was crap and you will be upgrading (that includes your tank size). Start with getting some sort of internal or external overflow set up to a sump where you will have your return pump. You eventually will want to add a skimmer may want to add a refugium. With only fish you dont have to worry about tank flow so your return pump should be enough. Get some sand in your tank and throw in a 4-5 damsels or chromis to cycle your tank and you will be off and running. Read lots here and ask specific questions to get answers.

night_blade
08/14/2008, 08:37 PM
yea, protein skimmers have been my main choice as far as traditional filters, but i was also thinking about getting one of those bi-wheel things, and stump might be possible, or ill upgrade later

ps thanks for the advice so far

ryancaudill
08/14/2008, 08:45 PM
May want to stay away from a stump. Unless you want to sit on it while you watch your fish:) . try a sump.

saltaholic
08/14/2008, 08:52 PM
Look here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1031074)

night_blade
08/14/2008, 08:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13157896#post13157896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryancaudill
May want to stay away from a stump. Unless you want to sit on it while you watch your fish:) . try a sump.

wait, what? are you saying i should or not get a stump

ryancaudill
08/14/2008, 09:00 PM
Sump is external to tank and used to increase water volume, house skimmer, dose additive, house mechanical and biological filtration, ect.
Stump is what is left over after you cut down a tree.

saltaholic
08/14/2008, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13158000#post13158000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryancaudill
Sump is external to tank and used to increase water volume, house skimmer, dose additive, house mechanical and biological filtration, ect.
Stump is what is left over after you cut down a tree.

very informative ;)

night_blade
08/14/2008, 09:10 PM
oh, yea, sorry i get the joke now............:o im lame and can't spell words right

otrlynn
08/14/2008, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13157815#post13157815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryancaudill
Get some sand in your tank and throw in a 4-5 damsels or chromis to cycle your tank and you will be off and running. Read lots here and ask specific questions to get answers.

Cycling with fish is not necessary and puts unneeded stress on the fish (who may or may not survive the process). If they survive, the damsels can turn into nasty buggers that you will want out of the tank. You can cycle the tank with just live rock (the die off of hitchikers on the rock will start the cycle) and/or throw in a raw shrimp from the grocery store for a few days. All you really need is a little ammonia to start things off. Read the two threads at the top of this forum (marked with a *) Lots of information for newbies

badfish
08/14/2008, 09:32 PM
Buy a 36" Power compact light fixture, a Hang on the back of the tank protein skimmer, two Hydor Koralia #1's and call it a day. What i just listed will give you enough room to house plenty of different types of soft coral's and wont break your bank. Your best bet is to look on the selling forum on here or go to Ebay.

Hear are some links to show you what you should be looking for.

Power Compacts: Any of these fixtures would be fine. Try to buy one with a 50/50 bulb set up.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_power_compact_powercompact__subindex.html

Protein Skimmer: Here is a protein skimmer that is proven effective and widely available used on here and Ebay.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~ACR~idCategory~FIPS~category~Protein_Skimmers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Power heads: Here is a good choice for power heads. I would buy either #1's or #2's for your setup. They are found pretty cheap online. You can also use Maxi Jets but they are not as good IMO.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Hydor_Koralia_1_Circulation_Pump_Powerhead_UL_400_gph_Saltwater_Aquarium_Suppli es_Powerheads_Fixed_Flowrate_Pumps~vendor~Hydor~SearchStr~hd19501+hd19401+hd19301+hd19201+hd19101~ac tion~view~idProduct~HD19101~idCategory~FIPHFF.html

All your would need now is a Refractometer or Hydrometer and you would be set.

OceanWater
08/14/2008, 09:47 PM
Ha ha ha, good luck with your tank. hope it all goes well and bankrupt. I mean well and done. What was i thinking. :)

otrlynn
08/15/2008, 05:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13158211#post13158211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badfish

Order yourself a test kit while you are online. Most people on here seem to use Salifert or Elos (pricey) or Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand (seems to be acceptable in accuracy). I started with the Red Sea brand and found the tests unnecessarily complicated. IMO the minimum you need are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and calcum. You will also need a thermometer (in tank, not stick on) for the tank and a heater. Actually, on that last item, you are better with, say, 2 heaters that are good for 30 gallons, rather than one that is rated for 60. If one malfunctions, the other can carry the tank until you notice the problem. The problem is that heaters often "break" by staying "on" rather than failing to turn on. Big heater on constantly=cooked tank. The Stealth brand is good.

badfish
08/15/2008, 06:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13159283#post13159283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by otrlynn
Order yourself a test kit while you are online. Most people on here seem to use Salifert or Elos (pricey) or Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand (seems to be acceptable in accuracy). I started with the Red Sea brand and found the tests unnecessarily complicated. IMO the minimum you need are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and calcum. You will also need a thermometer (in tank, not stick on) for the tank and a heater. Actually, on that last item, you are better with, say, 2 heaters that are good for 30 gallons, rather than one that is rated for 60. If one malfunctions, the other can carry the tank until you notice the problem. The problem is that heaters often "break" by staying "on" rather than failing to turn on. Big heater on constantly=cooked tank. The Stealth brand is good.

I knew that i was forgetting some thing.

brdracing
08/15/2008, 06:21 AM
night_blade if you email me I just finished setting up my 55 gallon a week ago and it is looking great, I can give you a list of everything that I used to make it work.
Brooks
brooks_brd@yahoo.com

inachu
08/15/2008, 06:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13158211#post13158211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badfish
Buy a 36" Power compact light fixture, a Hang on the back of the tank protein skimmer, two Hydor Koralia #1's and call it a day. What i just listed will give you enough room to house plenty of different types of soft coral's and wont break your bank. Your best bet is to look on the selling forum on here or go to Ebay.

Hear are some links to show you what you should be looking for.

Power Compacts: Any of these fixtures would be fine. Try to buy one with a 50/50 bulb set up.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_power_compact_powercompact__subindex.html

Protein Skimmer: Here is a protein skimmer that is proven effective and widely available used on here and Ebay.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~ACR~idCategory~FIPS~category~Protein_Skimmers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Power heads: Here is a good choice for power heads. I would buy either #1's or #2's for your setup. They are found pretty cheap online. You can also use Maxi Jets but they are not as good IMO.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Hydor_Koralia_1_Circulation_Pump_Powerhead_UL_400_gph_Saltwater_Aquarium_Suppli es_Powerheads_Fixed_Flowrate_Pumps~vendor~Hydor~SearchStr~hd19501+hd19401+hd19301+hd19201+hd19101~ac tion~view~idProduct~HD19101~idCategory~FIPHFF.html

I have a 55 and 2 Hydor_Koralia #1 would never be enough water flow. I reccomend getting 2 #4

ryancaudill
08/15/2008, 07:55 AM
I dont know what your budget is but this is what I would recommend because I went through this about 10 years ago when I made the switch from fresh. The knowledge needed and the money in the switch from fresh is big and the equipment is totally different unless you have some elaborate freshwater setup. I started out with a cheap used 55 with a sump and bioballs regular fluorescent lights (way underrated for live rock) I put a couple of ornamental decorations for my fish to swim around and was off.
I cycled my tank with 5 dollar damsels which are super bright colored. I think I lost 2 or 3. I then upgraded with larger fish that the damsels wouldnt pick on. Live rock cycling is excellent but live rock is 5+ dollars a lb and you have to have the lighting to support coralline growth. So I would get the experience of cycling this way. Back then I took water into to my fish store to have them test it. Salifert test are excellent but this is a premium product for experienced reefers and way overkill for a newbie to sw. There are way cheaper test kits you can buy. Get pH, ammonia, nitrite, and a nitrate kit. You also need salt (instant ocean will due) and a float hydrometer to test salinity (a refractometer is overkill).
I would say you could spend another 75 bucks and then get things cycling. You will have some issues but this is how we learn to create a stable environment in our tanks and what certain pieced of equipment due to stabilize our water. IMO this will ease you into sw on a reasonable budget. You will soon learn what kind time commitment you will need to successfully enjoy the hobby.

cdness
08/15/2008, 08:12 AM
Don't cycle with fish... Get a test kit and some raw shrimp the store is going to throw out. Usually you can get it for free or super cheap. Much cheaper than spending the cash on a few fish that could eventually die from bad water parameters. All you need this way is an API test kit. I use the Master one from DeathCo but you can get it MUCH cheaper from Dr Fosters & Smith. This is WAY more humane of a way to cycle the tank. Then once the numbers are all 0 you can add fish.

Like everyone says: "Nothing good comes quickly in this hobby"... Take time and do things right.

Where are you located: I'd be happy to share my noob experience and help you get started... I even have an overflow setup I'd get rid of...:)

night_blade
08/15/2008, 01:47 PM
thanks for the advice so far

Rustylugnuts
08/15/2008, 02:56 PM
Look here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1031074)

He's not kidding. Read whats there till your eyes are sore! A lot of work and good information went into that thread. Everything you need to get started and more is in there. I still go back and read through once in a while. Also start a build thread (or post your progress here) and take pictures as you go (keep em interested and you'll never run out of help).

Your best bet is to look on the selling forum
An enthusiastic +1
Some great deals to be had If you have cash in hand (or should I say in paypal?)

badfish
08/15/2008, 05:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13159431#post13159431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by inachu
I have a 55 and 2 Hydor_Koralia #1 would never be enough water flow. I reccomend getting 2 #4

I said either #1's or #2's will be good. For a softy tank they will be just fine. He is not going to keep SPS just yet.