PDA

View Full Version : Seasnakes

subarcticreef
08/15/2008, 02:38 PM
I don´t really know where this subject belongs but I´ll try with this one. Is there anyone out there that know if anyone has tried to keep a seasnake in an aquarium/reef aquarium? Could be challenging and interesting to try.

JustinReef
08/15/2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah I don't think its the best idea. Well it's a cool idea but I don't know about tank size. I went on a couple of dives a few years ago in Australia and came across them each day and they were extremely active and really swam all over the place. They would disappear into the distance after shooting past us. Did not seem like a good "pet".

The other problem could be the fact that they have the most lethal venom of any creature in the sea (I heard of any creature in the world but I don't know if thats true). I know our dive guides explained to us that they don't bite often but if they do you have about 7 minutes to get the anti-venom. They had some for us on the boat and I believe with one of the guides.

I would say that anyone keeping one should have the anti-venom as well.

elecbzerk
08/15/2008, 04:23 PM
I would think it would be hard to keep them from trying to escape.

philter4
08/15/2008, 05:09 PM
They have been available in the past, the last time was about 5 years ago. You need a permit in most states and in some states they are illegal with no exceptions. The last ones that came in were banded kraits, the black and white banded and they only ate eels. The wholesaler that had them fed them freshwater eels of the genus Anguilla. Here in FL the eels are easy to come by. I don't know about other sea snakes but they are all fish eaters, as far as only feeding on one type of fish I don't know.

saltyESQ
08/15/2008, 07:49 PM
what is the diff btwn a sea snake and an eel?

sportyrox
08/15/2008, 09:08 PM
A sea snake is a reptile and an eel is a fish. The sea snake needs oxygen from the air to breathe....so it must surface regularly between dives. Eels being fish can stay in the water indefinitely using there gills to pull oxygen from the water. I agree a sea snake would not be a good pet, it is FAR more active than its land-dwelling counterparts. Stick to eels.........they are more badass anyways.

sunfishh
08/16/2008, 12:33 AM
The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach use to have sea snakes. I have not been there in atleast 10 years so I am not sure if they still have them or not. You might check out there husbandry with them. However I would not keep a sea snake myself.

predator 1
08/16/2008, 12:52 AM
Sea snakes would definitely provide a "challenge" in the home aquarium. I have never heard of people keeping them, but it would be interesting to see if it was possible.

billsreef
08/16/2008, 04:58 PM
They are in the top of the most venomous snakes in the world. While they are generally considered fairly docile, you would need to be trained and skilled in the handling of "Hot" snakes. I have friends that have been keepers of "hot" reptiles in zoos, they have a saying about keeping such animals...."there are those that have been bit, and there are those that will be bit". Something to keep in mind ;)