http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906DSCF0036__Custom_.JPG
actinics only
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/6890646_bow_actinics.JPG
day 2 GBTA in middle
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906day_2_46_bow__Custom_.JPG
day three GBTA moved to the back

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906full_shot_46_bow__Custom_.JPG
happy kole tang
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906kole_or_yellow_eye_tang__Custom_.JPG
wandering clark clown
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906clark__Custom_.JPG
rock that needs a coral
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906flat_rock__Custom_.JPG
GBTA in sad shape
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68906GTBA__Custom_.JPG

andycook
08/25/2008, 09:27 PM
I love bowfront tanks. Nice rock.

Have you considered a neutral background?

panaboy95
08/25/2008, 10:08 PM
I was thinking backround too. it really shows off the stuff in the tank with a solid background. I like black myself. that is just my personal preference

andycook
08/25/2008, 10:21 PM
I'd like to see someone do something different other than black (what I did) or any shade of blue. How about a tan, taupe, or sand color background?

epon
08/26/2008, 01:30 PM
So, we're putting tangs in 46 gallon tank now ? Besides being way too small for that fish, your tank looks nice.

medic29
08/27/2008, 06:55 PM
Tank looks nice!!!

If you need some coral, give me a shout. You have helped me out in the past.

sushimi
08/28/2008, 04:38 PM
yea ya'll are right the tank does need a back round.
thanks for the comments.

Medic I'll hit you up soon about some coral. Thanks

Epon until the kole tang shows signs of not being happy he'll remain in the 46gl of h2o. he is only 3" as of now. unless you have a 125gl you want to give me. I've never had luck with smaller alge eating fish like blennies and such. You won't like my 75gl then since it is home to both a pacific blue and RS sailfin tang thats as big as my hand.

Horace
08/29/2008, 09:15 AM
Crazy I know, but I would agree with Epon :).

syrinx
08/29/2008, 03:44 PM
The best way to get a healthy show size tang for a reasonable price, is to get it from someone whos tank it has outgrown. Within reason there is no diffrence between my 3 inch rabbitfish in a 65 and a 11 inch one in a 125.

sushimi
08/29/2008, 07:18 PM
the RS sailfin started it's tank life in a 75 then went to a 150 then SF in chambana and ended up being labled as a reg sailfin so I got it for like 70$. now back to a 75gl.
I may consider not having tangs one day. OR just buy a 200-300gl tank. Mine seem to doing just fine in there current confines though. Am I just not gettin it. what are some gide lines. 100gl or more for tangs? and why?

webbstock
08/30/2008, 06:48 AM
Am I just not gettin it

The general feeling is that fish like tangs are active swimming fish, which like a long run to swim in. The idea is based upon the characteristics of the fish and not so much the size. For example, you could keep a large lionfish (slow-swimming fish) in a much smaller tank than a tang of similar size. Will tangs survive in smaller tanks...of course, but it may not be optimal for the fish.

But on the point of the thread, the tank is looking really nice. as fo a background, how about a fade from black at the bottom to light blue at the top like in the ocean, giving the appearance of "depth"

sushimi
08/31/2008, 04:33 PM
that may a very great idea, thanks

Sloeber1
09/02/2008, 12:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13228531#post13228531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andycook
I love bowfront tanks. Nice rock.

I do love bowed aquariums as well, especially corner bows, but they sure do distort photos.

Sloeber1
09/02/2008, 12:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13228914#post13228914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andycook
I'd like to see someone do something different other than black (what I did) or any shade of blue. How about a tan, taupe, or sand color background?

Black is most common, and for good reason. Black does a wonderful job of creating contrast and "giving" good colors to our colors and fish. But regardless of the color, I agree, a background is needed.

Sloeber1
09/02/2008, 12:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13248020#post13248020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sushimi
Epon until the kole tang shows signs of not being happy he'll remain in the 46gl of h2o. he is only 3" as of now. unless you have a 125gl you want to give me. I've never had luck with smaller alge eating fish like blennies and such. You won't like my 75gl then since it is home to both a pacific blue and RS sailfin tang thats as big as my hand.

I'm curious to know what signs from the fish you would accept as being warning to the insufficient size of the aquarium?

Sloeber1
09/02/2008, 12:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13254429#post13254429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by syrinx
The best way to get a healthy show size tang for a reasonable price, is to get it from someone whos tank it has outgrown. Within reason there is no diffrence between my 3 inch rabbitfish in a 65 and a 11 inch one in a 125.

Except Rabbitfishes don't swim nearly as much as Surgeonfish. ;)

Sloeber1
09/02/2008, 12:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13257555#post13257555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by webbstock
The general feeling is that fish like tangs are active swimming fish, which like a long run to swim in. The idea is based upon the characteristics of the fish and not so much the size. For example, you could keep a large lionfish (slow-swimming fish) in a much smaller tank than a tang of similar size. Will tangs survive in smaller tanks...of course, but it may not be optimal for the fish.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. I've spent a good deal of my life underwater, and I can tell you that Surgeonfish are extremely active in the wild. I've swam for several hundred yards in one direction trying to keep up with schools of Surgeonfish to no avail. I can't even fathom how much a Surgeonfish must swim per day, but it has to be well over several miles, if not 10's of miles at a bare minimum. Compare that to our glass boxes and I don't care how cold-hearted someone is towards animals; that has to yank at the heart strings at least a little bit.

syrinx
09/02/2008, 07:06 AM
rabbitfish don`t swim as much as tangs, but to ignore the size issue is ignoring common sense. The relative swimming room is based as much on fish size as tank size. The other issue not met with reason is how it is "okay" to keep a single schooling fish in a tank as long as it is large enough. A schooling fish will show much more stress from removal of school than space limitations. No one would consider keeping on neon tetra or one zebra danio- but its fine for marine schoolers I guess. Point being is fish are not people- they show they are "happy" by living and growing. I care for several tangs that are between 8 and 16 yrs old- and none are being kept to the satisfaction of the tang police, but no one has told them I guess. Its funny how tangs get all the attention when they are a quite adaptable fish. I will say I base this opinion on the yellow, scopas, purple, hepitus, and their like- the naso, unicorns and other mass schoolers are obviously diffrent. Most of information read and disseminated on the internet about tangs and their requirments was originally based on these latter species- but as internet myth grows others got included.

local44
09/10/2008, 07:02 PM
just my opinion and what not.....I have owned the rs sailfin in question and he/she was fat and healthy coming out of a 75 and into my 125.....the only reason it went to sailfin and sushimi owns it now...........SURGEON FISH..........those blades can and will do damage. I scared it during feeding and decided getting nailed wasn't fun. still great and healthy fish

btw if you need frags let me know

thanks

Jack

GreenBay1
09/11/2008, 08:56 AM
I like the rock work, and like the idea of the fade to black background. It would be a cool depth forming appearance. Good luck with the tang, I hope it stays happy.