PDA

View Full Version : water height touching center brace

Jandree22
08/15/2008, 07:11 PM
my overflows are a pinch higher than my preference, and the water in the tank is touching the bottom of the center brace on my 75g. around the parameter of the tank, it's not touching the frame, just glass. is this a structural integrity concern for the long term?

if it is a concern, what's the easiest way to lower the height of the overflows? they're acrylic.

thanks.

Capt_Cully
08/15/2008, 07:31 PM
What brand tank do you have? Is it Reef Ready, or do you use a hang on overflow? Or any overflow for that matter?

Capt_Cully
08/15/2008, 07:34 PM
Jesus, I'm losing it...just re-read.

You can mod the overflows which would lower your water height. Dremel the bottom line of the overflow so that water doesn't get as deep in your display.

Here's how I modded my old AGA megaflow. Screening is Gutter Guard from H. Depot.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/markjcolaneri/IMG_1090.jpg

9501gle
08/15/2008, 07:38 PM
If you lower your water level so it does not touch the bottom of the support glass the support glass will look like crap because of the salt creep. You will have to constantly clean it. Better to have the water contact the glass.

Slakker
08/15/2008, 07:46 PM
It's probably not a glass brace...

Jandree22
08/16/2008, 01:27 PM
it's a perfecto tank w/plastic brace. I should note that the reason this is an issue is because it they're not OEM overflows, I made them myself out of specimen containers, mounted against the glass inline with the bulkheads, and I just mounted them a pinch too high. I can dremel the overflows lower, but would rather not make the mess if possible (since it's full of water already).

however, I was thinking about it and with them being plastic and more prone to deterioration with being under water, I'm going to trim the overflows down so I can sleep better at night.

thanks again.

billdogg
08/16/2008, 01:35 PM
the plastic will not be affected at all by the saltwater. i
t could cut down on surface agitation, which is where a lot of oxygenation occurs. just cut down the overflow slightly and all will be well

stagefright13
08/16/2008, 01:41 PM
Water on the center brace will not affect the structural integrity in the slightest. I doubt any manufacturer of tanks in the world would use non waterproof materials lol!

Running the water level that high just means you have more water in the tank. More water is always better IMO. I run mine as high as safety allows. Having a smaller tank as I do I feel it is better.

supervdl
08/16/2008, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't be concerned. Plastic is fine.

Jandree22
08/16/2008, 10:33 PM
okay, thanks again guys. I wasn't so much worried about the water itself, but rather the saltwater. but I guess that's a dumb though considering plastic's inert nature and PVC is completely fine so... yeah.

I ended up widening the slots in the overflow, cause they should've been wider anyhow, and that helped a bit.