PDA

View Full Version : oceanic aquariums

s ruppa
08/15/2008, 08:13 PM
any thoughts or experience with oceanic aquariums? are they about the same quality as all glass?

thanks
steve

crvz
08/15/2008, 08:15 PM
They use to be much better than all glass, but I think they are now both under the same parent company. they're good aquariums still.

mdrc
08/15/2008, 08:19 PM
there all controled by the same company but oceanic still has better made and constructed aquariums than all glass. oceanics are built like tanks (that was a very bad pun i know) they have great seams/silicon jobs, and depending on the tank thinker glass than the industry standard, plus they have a very good waranty

s ruppa
08/15/2008, 08:19 PM
thanks for the info. anyone else?

steve

Capt_Cully
08/15/2008, 08:31 PM
Agree. Same company, better quality. I've heard the analogy AGA is Chevy (very solid and dependable) Oceanic is the Cadillac (much nicer touches). I've had both, I find the Oceanics are much nicer. More solid. Better bracing, more attractive trim, and silicone jobs.

If cash is tight you're fine with AGA. If you can swing it or find a deal, go for the Oceanic. (I've got 2 Oceanics right now FWIW)

AquaReeferMan
08/15/2008, 08:47 PM
Not since oceanic was bought out. IMO the quality of the oceanic tanks is no where near where it once was. Sure they look nice but when it comes down to it I would go with an AGA or Marineland tank.

seapug
08/15/2008, 11:03 PM
I've seen some really nice custom built Oceanic tanks lately. They make a 6 ft. 150 gal with Starphire glass that's a real beauty. I think it's in their Tech line.

Dano999
08/16/2008, 01:21 AM
Both are owned by the same parent company. AGA now goes by the name of Aqueon.

Below is from their webpage.

"The people that created the All-Glass Aquarium Company and brand, the world's leading manufacturer of aquariums and accessories for over 40 years, saw a need. That need was to further aid in people's enjoyment of aquarium keeping. By branching out beyond just aquariums, Aqueon was born to provide a full assortment of products for the aquatic hobby. The Aqueon line will contain foods, power filtration, water care products, lights, décor, furniture and of course aquariums. As a matter of fact, the high quality All-Glass branded products you have come to know and trust will also transition to the Aqueon brand. In doing so, Aqueon will continue the tradition of maintaining the highest quality standards established over the past 40 years."

I inquired about an Oceanic Ultimate this week from a Oceanic dealer and he told me he was not sure he could still get the Oceanic Ultimate and was leading towards the AGA/Aqueon. AGA/Aqueon does not make a 60" which is what I need but Oceanic does. It sounded like the Oceanic line was being phased out.

I am now looking at the Marineland Deep Dimension 60 W X 36 D X 27 H 250 gal. It also has the Starphire glass option.

Marineland Deep Dimension (http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=3600&mid=3228)

s ruppa
08/16/2008, 06:38 AM
how about perfecto vs AGA vs oceanic

thanks for all the info so far
steve

billdogg
08/16/2008, 06:39 AM
i've got 3 oceanic tanks - all are very well built - never had any trouble with any of them. the newest one was built in june 1992

avp
08/16/2008, 07:04 AM
I've got a 90 gallon pre AGA/Central Oceanic and a post AGA/Central Oceanic "ultimate" 50 gallon tank. The 90 is built much better than the 50. The silicon is applied better, the trim is thicker and the glass edges are beveled on the 90.

If I had to do it again, I'd look at Deep Sea Aquatics (the old Oceanic guys who stayed in Texas and formed their own company) if they were in my area, but if came down between AGA or current Oceanic, I'd consider them equals and look at price.

-avp

Dano999
08/16/2008, 08:02 AM
The 185 gal Deep Sea Aquatics is a perfect size for what I am doing. The center brace in the photo looks as if it covers 3/4 of the length of the tank. I would be concerned about it restricting too much light.

Also does anyone know if it comes with Starphire glass?

Tang Salad
08/16/2008, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13164298#post13164298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrc
oceanics are built like tanks (that was a very bad pun i know)
:lol: Nice one! :lol:

supervdl
08/16/2008, 12:08 PM
I am happy with my Oceanic reef tank. I had allglas tanks for freshwater as well and never a problem either