PDA

View Full Version : Do You Scuba/Snorkel?

RicksReefs
08/15/2008, 10:41 PM
How many of you guys are scuba divers? how about Snorkeling?

Let's see who we have for future outings to the water. ;)

coraljunky
08/16/2008, 07:04 PM
I am forced to stick with snorkeling due to my inability to equalize beyond 8ft :-(

maxheadroom
08/17/2008, 08:36 AM
One of these days I'm going to try that "scuba" stuff.

RicksReefs
08/17/2008, 09:38 AM
you should... I know a guy that can set you up... he even has comfortable booties... :cool:

CJ, it might be a silly question, but have you tried equalizing as soon as you start to go under? sometimes people wait to long to start equalizing and need to go shallower to git'er done.

coraljunky
08/17/2008, 03:42 PM
I've tried everything from gum to sinus meds. Is there any way "training" my ears to withstand the pressure so my ear drums don't burst?

RicksReefs
08/17/2008, 05:28 PM
nope, it's equalize or run the risk of busting them.
can you hold your nose and pop your ears while sitting at the PC?

coraljunky
08/17/2008, 05:41 PM
Yep, just did.

RicksReefs
08/17/2008, 05:57 PM
cool, so it's not a blockage. now go try it in the pool. pop'em before you get in. then keep doing it, before you need to, as you go deeper.

coraljunky
08/17/2008, 06:02 PM
Don't have a pool:-(

SaltSolutions1
08/18/2008, 03:08 PM
I snorkel quite a bit. I have always wanted to go get certified but I have trouble equalizing as well. I can go down about 25 feet, but not for long. Long enough to get a few tails though

RicksReefs
08/19/2008, 04:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13173961#post13173961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coraljunky
Don't have a pool:-(

A quiet spot in the river or bathtub (if it's open) would work for practice. or some dive shops have pools and will let you test drive some things. or a friend that lives in a development with a community pool,...

coraljunky
08/19/2008, 04:11 PM
I think bathtub's still closed. Sounds like I need to build a big enough tank to practice in:-)

Anthony...........help me dive............pllllleeeeeeaaaasssseeeeeee

maxheadroom
08/19/2008, 08:31 PM
I have problems equalizing just one of my ears. I just kinda bounce my way to the bottom, go down 6 feet up 2. LOL. Justin, the pools open for you any time!

metweezer
09/09/2008, 06:30 PM
I'd love to get certified but I guess that is also an expensive hobby. How many can I afford? Rick, I didn't vote in your poll because none of the choices applied to me. Now if you had an option that said "no, but I'd like to" I would have voted for that. BTW if I ever saw a shark while I was down there, I am sure I would cloud the water much worse than an octopus :lol:

RicksReefs
09/09/2008, 09:29 PM
essential snorkel gear includes a SW fishing license, fins/booties, a decent snorkel, and a well fitting mask.
good optionals include a weight belt, a dive skin/wetsuit, cheapo HD atlas dive gloves,
and someone that knows where to find cool stuff in less than 6 feet of water. :bum:

SyliGoose
09/09/2008, 09:56 PM
I'd like to learn to scuba dive.....but I'm not sure if it's safe for me. I've had heart surgery.....and one of my sons has a similar defect of the heart and he was told he could never scuba dive OR go into outer space.
Hmmmmmmm?!?!?!?!?!
Snorkeling would be best for me, no? LOL

RicksReefs
09/09/2008, 09:59 PM
you might find an answer at the DAN website.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Default.aspx

metweezer
09/10/2008, 03:38 PM
Rick,
I work in a thrift store in Stuart, just north of the roosevelt bridge. I drive a truck for them and pick up donated furniture and the like. We do get weight belts, wet suits, fins, etc. Maybe I should keep an eye out for them when they come in to the store. I don't know what a "HD" is and why do you need a SW fishing license?
Steve

metweezer
09/10/2008, 03:44 PM
Rick,
I work in a thrift store in Stuart, just north of the roosevelt bridge. I drive a truck for them and pick up donated furniture and the like. We do get weight belts, wet suits, fins, etc. Maybe I should keep an eye out for them when they come in to the store. I don't know what a "HD" is and why do you need a SW fishing license?
Steve

RicksReefs
09/10/2008, 05:22 PM
HD is home depot and you'll need the SW fishing license to be able to legally bring home the critters you'll find... ;)
$14 at walmart.

let me know if your work gets in any jumbo wetsuits or fins or regulators or... :D

chaseadream
09/12/2008, 10:56 AM
Well i don't scuba or snorkel would love to scuba but is a def no for me due to blebs on my lungs, but snorkeling might work out.