PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sand Bed

75pxatr
08/16/2008, 04:46 AM
I'm going to set up another 55 gallon reef. Interested in pro's and cons for DSB.

virginiadiver69
08/16/2008, 06:09 AM
I've been using one in my tank for almost two years. Unfortunately I can't attest to the benefits because I don't have anything to compare it to.
My next tank will use a shallow bed though. The one drawback that I've had to contend with was sandstorms and creating dunes if I try to get any kind of flow going near the bed. I think you are really limited on flow options.
With that said...I'll definitely be using a RDSB and a DSB in the fuge.

billdogg
08/16/2008, 06:15 AM
if you have a sump or fuge - DSB is easy - like virginiadiver said - sandstorms can be a problem in DT

joeychitwood
08/16/2008, 08:33 AM
I've had a deep and a shallow sand bed, and I prefer the shallow. My current bed is about one inch deep. It looks good, and it is very easy to keep clean compared to a DSB. Just my opinion.

BuddhaKiss
08/16/2008, 10:55 AM
I agree with what everyone has said so far. In my next tank, I'm going with a shallow sand bed in the DT and a DSB in the fuge. Shallow sand looks better than deep in the DT IMO

RondaGP
08/16/2008, 01:12 PM
I weighed the pros and cons of this when we upgraded from crushed coral about 5 years ago and went with a shallow bed and really happy we did.

stagefright13
08/16/2008, 01:33 PM
If you have a fuge I would instantly pack it with a deep sand bed. I didn't have that option when I started my tank years ago so put a medium deep sandbed in the display. And worked great for years. 0 nitrates. I even stopped testing for them after a year.

But now I am at the point where I need to change it out. I have some nitrates now. That won't go away from water changes. Possibly from adding a huge anemone that dug a giant hole in my old sandbed.

But having a DSB in a separate linked tank is the best way to go. Is much easier to change out. But if you don't have a fuge and put it in the display it may take several years before it needs replacing.

But a smaller sandbed looks the best in the display to me. Like 2 to 3 inches. Makes it look like the ocean! I never saw a bare bottom Ocean before. :)

chimmike
08/16/2008, 02:21 PM
DSB in fuge for sure. I was always told though, usually you want 1 lb of sand per gallon capacity of the DT in the DT....so 75# for 75 gal, etc. Of course, this would make a deep SB in a narrow but tall tank.

I'll probably have my return into a filter material, then rubble, then a RDSB into the fuge before the sump on my fuge setup for the new 65g I'm setting up........

but for keeping a dsb in the display clean: Nassarius snails! They're friggin awesome snails.....