PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 rules to live by

scooter86
08/16/2008, 10:02 AM
Though everyone will have their own "big 5" (or more) rules to live by for a successful reef tank, these are mine. Most have been learned the hard way. Please list your "big 5" so that I can learn from YOUR mistakes.
1.Research-make sure you learn as much as possible about a new purchase, whether it is livestock or dry goods. Then act on what you have learned, and not on emotion.
2.Plan- make, record and implement a maintenance schedule on ALL of your equipment. I've had a total tank wipeout by not doing this.
3. Quarantine-I know that this will stir up some controversy, but I also know that this is the right thing to do. I have lost a tank by not quarantining.
4.Education- The best way to do something today may not be the best way to do it 5 years from now. Have an open mind, and pursue continuing education.
5. Restraint and Redundancy- If you already know that something you are about to do is wrong, don't do it! Also have back up systems, equipment,and backup protocols in case of disaster.

Please understand that I am not pontificating. I have adopted these rules for myself because of my own blunders. Now , let me hear yours!

Sk8r
08/16/2008, 10:06 AM
6. keep a test logbook: don't trust your memory. Decimal point numbers get confusing. Dose into a trend, not after a disaster.
7. establish when you got your lights and what the replacement date should be, and put THAT at the front of your logbook. Marine lights don't burn out, they burn down, and change spectrum, meaning bad algae etc.
8. use your Tds meter on your rodi output at least once a month.

scooter86
08/16/2008, 10:09 AM
Those are great, more specific rules, THANKS!

LobsterOfJustice
08/16/2008, 10:11 AM
Good suggestions.

I'm not sure I could come up with a coherent list of five, but my signature line is pretty much my contribution. It's mostly there for ME to see after every time I post, because I have a problem with this. Basically, dont half-*** a job. Yeah, it's annoying to run over to the bathroom and rinse your arm off before flipping that snail over, but it takes 10 seconds and doesnt cost anything, and the risks aren't worth it. Don't hang onto equipment that is still "kinda" working, but not really. Just do it right. Find some successful people and try to emulate their setups. If you are thinking of doing something differently than everyone else... there is probably a reason no one else is doing it that way (there are exceptions of course). Example... Skimmerless setups can be successful if setup, stocked, and maintained properly, but most people who ask about skimmerless tanks are usually just interested in saving money or finding an "easy" way out.

scooter86
08/16/2008, 10:18 AM
There will always be a subset of people who will do things against conventional wisdom. Some are pioneers, and some are naysayers. We need both to evolve.

bill-fit
08/16/2008, 10:58 AM
This could be a really good thread. I'm following the rules allready posted so I would like to add something specific.

One of the ways tanks are being taken out, a skimmer, not in the sump, overflows then the auto topoff kicks in and the salinity falls till everything is dead.

This doesn't cost anything to prevent use a seperate skimate collection cup and hang it over your sump. Run a piece of half inch tubing from the collection cup on your skimmer to the one hanging over your sump. When the skimmer overflows nothing happens the overflow goes into the sump.

Just about any plastic container could be made to work you just have to figure out a way to hang it.

scooter86
08/16/2008, 11:10 AM
Just so happens that I have had this happen to me. I'm going to see if it is feasible for me to set up your fix on my sump. Thanks! This is what I was hoping for from this thread.

billdogg
08/16/2008, 11:51 AM
i'm big on rule #4 - education. I remember when putting a powehead on your undergravel filter was the pinnacle of high tech! wow - a skimmer??? a sump???? huh??? you mean things change???

READ READ READ and then READ SOME MORE!!!

scooter86
08/16/2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone else have any of their own golden rules?

LobsterOfJustice
08/16/2008, 09:29 PM
Alright, I've got one. Never let ANYONE touch the mag float other than you. Nobody. Ever.

Your little niece, grandkids, neighbors kids, etc won't like this rule. They might cry. Kids might have their parents ask you for them. Don't give in. This rule could save the life of your starfish, keep that acro you've been growing out for 3 years in one piece, and keep the front glass of your tank free of horrendous scars.

Moonstream
08/16/2008, 09:38 PM
NO IMPULSE BUYS! always have a rough idea of the fish you like, and what can fit in your tank and get along in it. make sure that everything is compatible!

scooter86
08/17/2008, 06:31 AM
How about: Never change or add a piece of equipment within 2 weeks of going on vacation,

otrlynn
08/17/2008, 07:18 AM
Believe it that fish can jump, even fish that you don't think likely to jump (like a clownfish). Really believe it for known jumpers like wrasses and firefish. Be prepared for fish losses if you choose to ignore it.

limitdown
08/17/2008, 08:20 AM
$1,000+ worth of dead fish taught me the importance of QT'ing

EllieSuz
08/17/2008, 09:31 AM
Take advice from your LFS with a grain of salt. Many mean well, and simply are misinformed. Others are there to make a buck at any cost. Even when you've established a good relationship with your LFS, double check their information. Nobody knows everything all the time.

scooter86
08/17/2008, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13171670#post13171670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
Take advice from your LFS with a grain of salt. Many mean well, and simply are misinformed. Others are there to make a buck at any cost. Even when you've established a good relationship with your LFS, double check their information. Nobody knows everything all the time.
Absolutely correct. In the early days I was once told that a twinspot wrasse was a great fish for a 20 gallon tank. Good thing I did my own research!

scooter86
08/17/2008, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13171364#post13171364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by limitdown
$1,000+ worth of dead fish taught me the importance of QT'ing
Three years ago I got impetuous and added a Scott's Fairy wrasse to my 180 without QT. Out of 10 fish in the tank, only my blue jaw trigger survived. Velvet took the rest.
:(

scooter86
08/18/2008, 07:32 AM
Noone else's tank crashes have spurred on rules to live by?

Sk8r
08/18/2008, 07:40 AM
Certain things should only be undertaken by expert reefers (and most of them will refuse to): e.g., putting an anemone in a reef; keeping large fleshy inverts like sea apples; keeping seriously venomous creatures. Plus delicates like basket stars, sea pens, moorish idols, etc, are not for novices.

chimmike
08/18/2008, 07:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13171670#post13171670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz

same goes for here. Take advice from here with a grain of salt as well.

BigJay
08/18/2008, 09:04 AM
Always remember to turn off your RO unit before you go to bed.

Letting it run all night and overflow the 40 gallon brute....is disastrous.

scooter86
08/18/2008, 09:05 AM
True enough. The information that you get anywhere must be independently researched.You can however ,over time, develop a sense of whose information is based on fact, and whose information is based on personal opinion.

jhildebrand
08/18/2008, 09:54 AM
Ditto on everything else.

Plus:

Don't skimp on safeguards and redundancy and test your system's backups so there won't be any surprises when something fails.

Don't cave to temptation at the LFS - do research and come back after thinking it through. Put a fish on hold.

Don't believe with certainty when an LFS employee says "Oh yeah, that's reef safe/compatible with everything".

Get second opinions on everything - one wrong bit of advice can spell disaster.

Remember that there's no such thing as a shortcut in this hobby...

scooter86
08/18/2008, 10:43 AM
Big Jay reminds me of the issue of never connecting your automatic topoff to an endless water supply.

limitdown
08/23/2008, 02:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13177722#post13177722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scooter86
Big Jay reminds me of the issue of never connecting your automatic topoff to an endless water supply.

Great point. I also learned this the hard way.

goldenfamaliy
08/23/2008, 03:11 AM
What about the K.I.S.S rule It has worked for me so far.
Also, take things slowwwwwwww. Only bad thing happen fast.

bsagecko
08/23/2008, 05:13 AM
Always QT

But more importantly always check that silicone seal............before you put 150g of water in it........................

Also RO/DI water is a must and not some thing for rich only ppl

OH, never buy equipment new from the lfs..........order online or buy used......................

umm.........dont try to keep fish that you know you cant care for.........

Dont try to put a shark in a 180g aquarium long-term..............

Havent actually done all this stuff but have personally seen aquariums like this especially the shark one................

Saw a guy have a 2 ft shark in a 6 ft tank that is only 2ft wide

madadi
08/23/2008, 05:48 AM
don't drip kalk trough your ATO float valve if your skimmer tends to overflow!!!

vodka is for human consumption, and so is sugar. keep both out of your tank.

don't splash water on your MH bulbs that have been on all day.

learn to make up good excuses on the spot why you have to buy that awesome coral if your wife/girlfriend is not supportive of the tank.

mix the salt and RO water first before you add them to the tank. trust me, ive seen a guy at petco add freshwater and then dump salt to the tank with fish in it! i told him thats not good for the fish and he looked at me like i should be quiet because hes the professional.

your reef tank is not a science experiment. stick to the basics, keep it simple.

just because its more expensive, doesn't mean its better.

just because it has Tyree LE in the front, doesn't mean you HAVE to have it!

Big E
08/23/2008, 05:54 AM
There may be more than a top five for success.....some good suggestions so far. Here are my top three in order--

#1 in importance----Be PATIENT ..........slow addidtions & progress= long term success.

#2- QT--I wonder how many people that state this actually do this?

#3- Resist overcrowding & imcompatability

There is no reason people can't keep fish & corals for 10+ years by following these simple rules............especially PATIENCE.

If you think about it most failures are a result of no patience.............to research, no QT, impulse, poorly designed/planned system, ect.

Paul_PSU
08/23/2008, 06:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13211108#post13211108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big E

#1 in importance----Be PATIENT

#1 on my list!!!! :D

Also the rule I break most often with disastrous results.

Paul B
08/23/2008, 06:24 AM
My 5 rules are simple.
Look at your animals 5 times a day.
Well sometimes 6 and sometimes 2 but the main point is to not just to look but to see, see closely.
You can tell more about your parameters by looking at the behavior of an animal than by observing your tds meter.
Of course all of these test kits are important tools in this hobby but test kits only measure chemical variations and not psycological or other parameters. By that I mean the (I hate to say this) "happiness" of the fish. Now I don't know if they are really "happy" but I can tell if they are stressed. I use happy for lack of a better word. We talk about stress a lot and it is not exactly the same stress as we humans unless we are talking about human prisioners.
If we were kept to hot or cold, underfed or fed something we diden't like or could not digest well, or if someone was beating us all the time or we were in constant or too bright or dim light we would be stressed and would get sick soon.
So anyway, a non stressed fish will not hide all day, it will venture out in the open especially to feed. It will freely leave the shelter of the rock without going in and out numerous times to see who is out there. They will always be looking for food and a mate.
All healthy mature fish spawn all the time. Or at least they will chase away other males and in some fish, clean a nest site.
They will not scratch or breath from the surface and their scales will look like velvet. Torn fins will heal in a day or two and they will be curious of their surroundings.
If hair algae or cyano starts growing it does not mean your parameters are way off. These things are opportunistic and can grow anywhere. If they start to get out of hand, it is cause for "Not alarm" but a check of things.
Those are my 5 (or 2 or 6) rules.
I am not a big meter guy, I am more of an observer.
Have a great day.
Paul

sirjohn
08/23/2008, 07:21 AM
As has been said, P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E would be at the top of my list.

Applies to life in general too.

MrSquid
08/23/2008, 09:38 AM
Having suffered a recent leak, mine are mostly leak related.

Have enough CLEAN Brutes (or other water storage options) on hand and ready to go to store all of your water in case of a leak. Add to that some big syphon lines so you can drain that baby as fast as possible.

I learned this the hard way when my 125 leaked late @ night and I only had 1 Brute and had to syphon 90g of saltwater into the bathtub (glad I had an old Python laying around!). Needless to say, I have 4 Brutes now...

Not to mention having a plan to store and light your corals if you have to do a fast late-night teardown. (because tanks will never ever ever leak when it's convenient!)

Have a crash kit - Amquel, more salt than you need, nitrate remover, phosphate remover, pH buffer...to name a few!

Buy good equipment to start with - you'll get the results you want/expect. Buy it from the start and you only cry once. ;)

And don't have a "it can't happen to me" attitude with you tank! Because just when you think it can't, it will.

flashyleopard
08/23/2008, 10:00 AM
I think, in this day and age, that being responsible for your choices and being conservative in your approach to reef keeping. What I mean is, if you buy something, b/c the lfs store employee said it would eat flake and live in a fish bowl, that does not let you of the hook. You are still rresponsible for the demise of that fish. We all live and learn, but accept your own part in the equation and move forward. Also, think of the hobby as a limited resource. Buy captive bred items when possible, and if you are buying wild caught clowns and banggaiis, you should be breeding them to increase the captive gene pool. Buy from reputable places that utilize sustainable techniques for harvesting corals, liverock, fish, plants, and invertebrates from the ocean. We can make a very powerful statement by patronizing the dealer that use good collection practice and have good quality (properly cared for) livestock, and good customer service and boycotting those that do not. This also means, if you have tried 3 mandarins and they all died, that was selfish. You should have evaluated your situation after the first death, waited and attempted to correct the mistake. A second death, should result in abstaining from that species until a good deal of time has passed and something has changed for the better in your system. We all will have fish die for unknown reasons, but if we try different sources and do everything the best way we can and will still get a dead fish, then that is a neon sign telling you that your system is not ready for that fish at this time and for you to wait and make adjustments. These are creature that have given up freedom, a limitless variety of food, the ability to move away from physical or psychological stress, and all of the benefits that come with having the ocean at your disposal. It wasn't a choice for them and we owe it to them to do the best we can in caring for them. That goes for feeding nutritious foods, all the way down to making wise and thoroughly researched stocking decisions. IMO, there are too many reliable and easily accessed resources available now for people to have to learn very many lessons the hard way or at the expense of something's life.

limitdown
08/24/2008, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13211926#post13211926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSquid
Having suffered a recent leak, mine are mostly leak related.

Although young tanks can still leak and older tanks may still be fine, but overall the chance of a leak is highly correlated to the age of your tank. It's just like breakdown with cars. Yes, there are lemons straight out of the factory, but in most instances, older cars break down much more often.
For my 100g freshwater tank, I made it a point to retire the old one and get a new one when it hit the 10yr mark. I plan on changing out my 200g FO in 9yrs, perhaps even earlier. A 200g DT would cost nothing compared to the damage that 200g of saltwater would do to my living room.