PDA

View Full Version : Tenting house for termites

eppersonm16
08/16/2008, 10:27 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with sealing up their reef tank when it was not possible to remove it when tenting their home for termites. I have about a 400 gallon acrylic reef tank that is built into the wall . I was thinking of removing all the fish but leaving the corals. I would run an air stone inside the main tank with the air pump external to the house and have power heads inside for circulation. The sump and filtration below the tank would be sealed up and turned off for 48 hours and then on the third day I would come back and turn everything back on and do a large water change.
Anyone ever done this ? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank You,
Michael
(San Diego)

Phyxius
08/16/2008, 10:34 PM
I would really wonder if anything could still get in even if it was sealed up. The purpose of tenting the house is to suck out all the good air and replace every nook and cranny with the chemical laden air. Id be worried it would seep in somewhere. Even with fresh air pumped in via airstones there will still be pressure differences between in the tank and outside the tank when sealed as well as air exchange via the pumps. Just something to think about......

I actaully saw a old wooden boat get tented and they had that thing sealed up every way you could imagine and even the workers used respirators to vent it and then later unwrap it completely