PDA

View Full Version : mp40 question

gordon2726
08/16/2008, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I just received my new tank and it is a 82g leemar starfire 1/2" tank. I have tried using the pin spacer at 1/2" as per instruction but it seem weak holding wet and dry side together. My question is can I use 5/8" or 5/8" and without the pin spacer setting? What problem will appear if using 5/8" setting and without the pin spacer on 1/2" thick tank? Thanks.

EcoTech Marine
08/17/2008, 01:44 PM
So long as you aren't experiencing problems with the pump falling off the tank I recommend that you stick with the 1/2" setting. It may seem weak but the pump is designed to operate at that clamping force and clamping too tight can lead to problems.

That being said, an upgrade to the 5/8" setting is not too bad. You certainly want to avoid removing the pin spacer boot itself though, as running it without will lead to problems down the road on 1/2" tanks.

-Tim

gordon2726
08/18/2008, 11:58 AM
Okay, I think I'll set it up at 5/8" setting with spacer. That way, I don't have to worry about knocking them down when I am cleaning the flass with my mag-float. Do you think the pumps will run harder/warmer this way? Thank you.

EcoTech Marine
08/18/2008, 12:17 PM
It will definitely be harder on the pumps and they may run warmer.

I would run them as designed.

-Tim