PDA

View Full Version : Live sand ?

fishog
08/17/2008, 04:01 AM
I purchased the package for a 55 gal tank from Tampa Bay salt water around 6 months ago and have now decided the 55 is to small I just purchased a 90 gallon tank . My question is do I need to start over with new live sand or can I add more sand to what I have . I think if I remember right I have read on here in the past that the sand bed dose not transfer over to a new tank well . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks in advance

HaywoodJafragit
08/17/2008, 07:13 AM
A Deep Sand Bed (4 inches) will be a bad idea; the anaerobic bacteria in the bottom will die in contact with Oxygen, then it will become nitrates in the long run; however, if you only have some sand (1 or 2 inches) it should be just fine. Try to mix the new sand with the old one as much as you can.

You may have some silt that will be disturbed during the transfer, try to rinse the old sand as much as you can.

Good luck with the transfer and be aware the tank will cycle again.

crvz
08/17/2008, 09:35 AM
if it's only six months old, I'd reuse it. if it were really old and established, I'd think harder about it, but as it is I'd use the sand and just add to it as necessary (just add some dry aragonite).

fishog
08/18/2008, 03:10 AM
I only have about 1 inch of sand in most areas . How many inches are recomended ?

VacavilleFC3S
08/18/2008, 03:12 AM
2"-4"