PDA

View Full Version : Play Sand

kenfrompa
08/17/2008, 06:29 AM
Restarting my tank. Went to buy southdown like I did before and cant find it. I was amazed at the price they now charge. My question, can I use a sterilized play sand?

HaywoodJafragit
08/17/2008, 06:57 AM
I have tried the Quickrete Play Sand that supposedly is sterilized and it was mud, I rinsed it at least 10 times and the water still looked like orange soda; I bought it for a freshwater 45 gallon planted tank and ended being okay for my Amazon Swords.

I would never ever try this sand with my reef tanks. I know the Caribsea sands are expensive, but at least you know what you're buying.

billdogg
08/17/2008, 07:13 AM
look at petsmart - they have #30 bags of caribsea sugar fine for $19.99 in my area. play sand is supposed to be ok, but it is silica based and therefore won't offer any buffering. i've also heard that some people have diatom bloom issues with play sand

doubleduece
08/17/2008, 08:36 AM
Is it round and smooth? Theres three reasons you shouldnt use it if its round or from local beach. One if its round it will compact VERY easily and basicly crushes any micro organisims that try to live in sand which without makes the sand go aerobic and may become a problem down the road and release ammonia bubbles. Two because if it is silica based it will realease silicates which like phosphates is the building block of many algaes, Three if it is local and you didnt boil for a good 30minitues before adding it it may release different types of bateria, and other bad organisms, not to say the polution absorbed by it.