PDA

View Full Version : Potters in QT

biger
08/17/2008, 09:35 AM
I wasn't getting many responses in treatment forum.

I got a potters from divers den and he's been in qt for about a month. He looks good and eats very good but have noticed that he is starting to rub against the PVC pipe and twitch a little. There are no visible signs of anything but figured I better start treating in case. Was thinking about doing a week of prazipro and then 2 weeks of cupramine. (1)Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? Also I have a couple live rocks in there for bio filtration. (2)Should I take the rocks out for the prazipro or just for the cupramine? And one more question. (3) When I take the rocks out should I get some amonia absorbing chemicals for filtration?

Thanks for any info.

biger
08/17/2008, 12:45 PM
Hey what do you guys think of this plan? Do the prazipro and wait 2 more weeks for a total of 6 weeks in qt and if no signs of ick all is good according to this article.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

650-IS350
08/17/2008, 01:04 PM
look into HYPESALINITY since its just in quarantine.

biger
08/17/2008, 02:25 PM
Well just from reading on these forums there seems to be differing opinions on hypo maybe causing other problems especially if not needed. According to the article if no visible signs of crypt in 6 weeks of qt then they aren't present or am I reading it wrong. Just looking for more opinions on this.

THX

LargeAngels
08/18/2008, 07:35 AM
First route is to determine what he has. Ich, velvet or flukes and treat appropriately. Unfortunately there is no one treats all of the above 3 meds.

Another route is to treat with Prazipro and Cupramine at the same time. This is what I do with all new fish, including potters. After 5 days I do a 50% water change, redose Prazipro and Cupramine, then after another 5 days 50% water change and add back only Cupramine. Cupramine will kill snails, crabs, sponges etc. but won't affect the biological filtation. But, the live rock will absorb the Cupramine so you will have to test and re add. If the potters is eating well, then I would remove rocks, add PVC pieces (for hiding) and use some biological filter from main tank. Ammonia absorbing material may absorb Prazipro or Cupramine. Don't use any other meds or water conditioners as it may have a severe reaction with Cupramine.

biger
08/18/2008, 09:26 AM
Hey Angels, thanks again for the help.

biger
08/18/2008, 12:37 PM
Angels, do you use seachem copper test kit? Is it good enough?

LargeAngels
08/18/2008, 12:55 PM
I do now. They had problems with their kits for a while, but not anymore. If you get a kit make sure it is the one that you dip a little stick into the powder.

biger
08/19/2008, 12:32 AM
OK thanks, that's what I have.

Schwe
08/20/2008, 08:18 PM
I have a Potter's that I had to QT for ich, along with my other fish. I treated with Hypo and he tolerated it, but definitely didn't do well. I remember reading somewhere that the pygmy angels do not tolerate Hypo well at all, and mine was definitely not. I had to reintroduce him to the DT early because I feared for his health. Now he's a fat pig. ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/lzaichenko/fish/IMG_5792.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/lzaichenko/fish/Untitled-1copy.jpg

biger
08/20/2008, 08:38 PM
Awesome fish Schwe. Yep that's what I heard so I figured I would do like Angels and do the cupramine.