PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Newley Arrived Sohal Tang to eat...

vangoghfish
08/17/2008, 07:29 PM
Just got a beautiful sohal tang from Michael Stern at NYAquatic, got some of my best healthiest fish from him...a lot of them. Anyway, my beautiful sohal tang arrive last Friday am, has not eaten yet, although looks great, has meat to him, and very active. Michael said he was eating flake spirulina, and was maybe trying some mysis, but did not want to feed it to much before shipping, just arrived from hid importer Tuesday nite, shippped to me Thursday nite. I have tried flake spirulina, mysis, and nori sheets, no luck that I have seen. Also soaked all in garlic extreme, and zoe, have also added to water, as a kicker.

Any help would be appreciated, as I thought these were always ready to eat, and needed to get their veggies or nori often throughout the day.

HELLLLPPPP!!! Don't want to lose this beauty...forgot to mention, he is a 30 gal. QT, checked all water parameters, and they are PERFECT!

myerst2
08/17/2008, 07:48 PM
turn the lights off and give him some time. Wait a couple of days and then try some live brine to initiate feeding. Tim

JustinReef
08/17/2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah I would say he just needs a bit of time. When he gets hungry enough, he will eat. Im sure the 30G feels really small for him (great to hear hes in there though and not straight into the display).

vangoghfish
08/17/2008, 08:40 PM
He is not too large, about 4-5", how long, before I should get even more concerned, any other suggestions, regarding feeding? Plan on keeping him in QT a minimum of 2 wks, maybe longer, but as you mentioned, don't want to confine him to the 30 too long. Just til I feel he is healthy, and eating fine.

vangoghfish
08/17/2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Tim, will try that too, can get small shrimp in my local bay, just a few blocks away, will get some small glass shrimp, no where locally to buy live brine shrimp.

LisaD
08/17/2008, 08:59 PM
If you can get mysid type small shrimp in the bay, that's ideal. Either way is better than brine and probably just as enticing.

Gary Majchrzak
08/17/2008, 09:11 PM
I'd stick with the flake Michael Stern recommended. IME Sohals (in particular) seem to go bonkers for green flake. (I don't usually feed or recommend flake foods). Sohals aren't shy and it should actively swim about scooping foods up.

squealy
08/17/2008, 09:27 PM
My Naso wouldn't eat for 10 days until I started feeding him chaeto. It was after this that he started eating nori from a clip.

Have you tried tying the nori to a rock instead of putting it on a clip?

vangoghfish
08/17/2008, 10:04 PM
no rocks in the QT, all bare, except for some pvc pipes to hide in.

jmccown
08/18/2008, 07:59 AM
nori will always work for me.

dones20
08/18/2008, 01:21 PM
if you have a few peices of live rock that you can place in qt for him it would prob be a little better on him as tangs are grazers and enjoy eating algae and besides it would prob be more comforting for him and in doing so he might begin to feed