PDA

View Full Version : adding more sand, on top, or mix in with old?

sk8rreefgeek
08/18/2008, 08:50 AM
I'm moving the tank later this week(!) and I'm also installing my sump, and skimmer. (stoked)

I want to add a little more sand. Would it be better to mix it in with the old, or just pile it on top?

Also, dude at my LFS took my old 55g in trade +$50, for a brand new AGA, bottom-drilled, corner overflow!!! sweeet

landlord
08/18/2008, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't dig to deep to mix it. You will seriously stir up the nasties towards the bottom of the sandbed.

--landlord

chimmike
08/18/2008, 09:12 AM
get some nassarius snails, and just add the sand to the top.

the sand in my DT has all sorts of good lil worms and stuff, so I don't mess with the sand (but my damn blenny does).

sk8rreefgeek
08/18/2008, 09:14 AM
That's what I was thinking, BUT I have to transfer the sand into the new tank anyway.

Kalypso Aquatics is going to hold ALL my livestock and rock during the move. I can let the tank run for a few days before putting the babies back in...

chimmike
08/18/2008, 10:24 AM
depending on how old your tank is, I'd get all new sand for the new tank.

GrantMeThePower
08/18/2008, 10:44 AM
How many nassarius snails should he add for a 55 gallon? 5? 6?

sk8rreefgeek
08/18/2008, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13177596#post13177596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chimmike
depending on how old your tank is, I'd get all new sand for the new tank.

The sand has been in there for almost 2 years. Why would I want to replace it?

chimmike
08/18/2008, 12:17 PM
because chances are likely there are bad things in the sand, and you generally don't want to transfer those over.

the 65 I'm building up now will get all new sand, new LR (due to the algea problem I'm having as of late) and new fuge in order to make sure everything's fresh.

For a 60g, nassarius snails, I'd get maybe 7-10, depending on the footprint of the tank.

barbra
08/18/2008, 12:28 PM
Chimmike is correct. When you drain the water and start digging in that sandbed you are going to get a nosefull of nasty. I would save any critters you can that live in the current sandbed, and use about a cup or two of the nicest to start a new sandbed.

sk8rreefgeek
08/18/2008, 12:33 PM
aww jeez...lol

hmmmmm, well. I guess. That's another ding in the wallet.

dang

what if I stirred, siphoned, stirred and siphoned, THEN scooped it out, and let the tank run for a few days, with the fresh stuff on top? feasable???

anyone been in the same situation?
I appreciate the help...

chimmike
08/18/2008, 12:41 PM
Believe me, my 65g build is going sloooooow because I have too many other hobbies and a limited cash flow, haha.

Matter of fact, I'm just about finished building my stand, need to sand it, prime it, get some red oak sheeting to cover it, and then make sure it's all level and stuff. THEN I get to save up for a good skimmer, buy another tank (maybe a 30 breeder) for a sump/fuge.

ahh....the expenses that await. AND I'm trying to put together a turbo kit for my s2000. My wife tells me almost daily that I have too many hobbies. She's right.