PDA

View Full Version : I posted this in the equipment section too. Bubble/chip in glass!

danorth
08/18/2008, 12:04 PM
You can see the write up I did. I can't feel the chip/bubble, and it wasn't there to start. On the inside on the tank. Opinions? I am trying to see about a replacement.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13177478#post13177478

Grouperhead
08/18/2008, 12:09 PM
Dan I have a bubble/chip or whatever in my 55g undy tank exactly like that. It's in almost the exact location too. Really just sprung out of the blue one day. It's been fine for 2+ years, so I don't worry about it anymore.

danorth
08/18/2008, 12:15 PM
Really? On the inside and what not? Can you feel it?

Grouperhead
08/18/2008, 12:20 PM
You can't feel it from the inside or outside. It looks like a chip that's inside the glass. Very strange. I watched it really close for a long time because I thought it would spread. Never did and I just don't really worry about it anymore. I make sure to check on it every now and then, but that's really just for peace of mind.

danorth
08/18/2008, 12:24 PM
How long was the tank up for before it showed/got noticed? I just don't like the 'fear of the unknown' with a bunch of water at stake. I've emailed the company to see about a replacement.....we'll see what they will do.

Grouperhead
08/18/2008, 12:26 PM
Hard to say....probably between 4-6 months after being setup...hasn't changed at all in size or anything since it ocurred...but I definately think it is the 'scalloped' chip described in the thread from cutting glass...it's right by the silcone in my tank where the panels come together...front right side.

danorth
08/18/2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I sent an email requesting replacement. When I get home I am going to scratch the paint off the back piece so I can see straight into the glass and see where it is within the pane.

I'll also send a call at lunch.

Grouperhead
08/18/2008, 12:32 PM
I think for a tank that size a replacement would definately be given. Let us know how it goes.

T-T-Trigger
08/18/2008, 03:24 PM
major bummer, if it doesn't cause the tank to fail, it will at least cause your sleep to fail for a while - which is not worth it - who made it (a major manufacturer?) and where did you buy it?

danorth
08/18/2008, 04:03 PM
Catalina Aquarium in Sacramento. I just got off the phone with him and he said that it isn't a big deal, that he has seen them before and that he hasn't seen a tank break from it. He says that since it is all fanned out in a circle that it has finished its run and it is just like how they fix a windshield, meaning they grind it into a circle and then fill it. He said if I want to I can take the tank in and have the panel replaced but it would take about 2 weeks. So I would have all of those fish in tubs or something? Doesn't make sense. Either way I'm in $hit creek with it. I know it may be like your tank Grouperhead, but I can't have a chance of 240 gallons on the floor. That wouldn't go over well in our new house. (previously owned though)

jmccown
08/18/2008, 05:32 PM
I'd have them replace it Dan. I'd hate to see a post from you in a year about all your fish laying on the floor when you come home from work. That would suck baaaad!!

Wolverine
08/18/2008, 08:32 PM
I had one like that on the side panel of a 180g I used to have. It was along the side panel where it meets the bottom of the tank. I couldn't feel it, like this one. I had the tank for about 2 years before I sold it, and it had been owned by someone else for about two years before I bought it.

That said, you bought this tank new, from a company that has already said they're willing to fix it. I'd get it done. Mine had been used, and had been really cheap, so I didn't mind as long as it didn't leak (and it was an FO that I new would only be up for a few years before we moved).

danorth
08/18/2008, 08:50 PM
I have 2 local people that are willing to loan a 150 and 125 to me. Can't ask for more than that. I will take it in even though the store really doesn't want to deal with it, but tough. There is a chance that it won't grow, but it is easier to deal with the situation on dry ground rather than wet.....but I'm, sure my wife's heated temper would convert that to steam in no time!

Here is a shot of the back though I took with a mirror after cleaning off some of the paint. You can see it isn't deep or huge, but I'm again not a tank expert.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/danorth/back-view.jpg

Grouperhead
08/18/2008, 09:02 PM
Better safe than sorry as always. Very kind gestures by some good friends too.

Wolverine
08/19/2008, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13181307#post13181307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grouperhead
Better safe than sorry as always. Very kind gestures by some good friends too.

I agree.

That looks a little bigger than the one I had anyway.

reefer334
08/19/2008, 11:47 AM
Dan
I would have them fix it.

I am sure it will not take 2 weeks there just saying that so you will not bring it back.

I to have some tanks you can borrow if you need them.

Just let me know when you will need my help and truck and I will be there.

Chris

LisaD
08/19/2008, 02:29 PM
Dan, sorry to hear of your problems with the tank. Let us know how it goes.