PDA

View Full Version : Electronics on a Generator

rdnyva
08/18/2008, 11:15 AM
In getting ready for Fay tomrorow I was wondering if powering Tunze Streams/multicontroller and an ACJr would in any way jeopardize them. Considering spikes and not clean electricity comng from a generator I'd hate to have to replace that stuff. If there is any danger at all I will control the tank manually until the power comes back.

James77
08/18/2008, 12:14 PM
I would ask Roger in the Tunze forum

calkulon
08/18/2008, 12:27 PM
I live in central florida. In the last four years i have hade to run my home about three weeks total on my generator. It is a 7500 watt generac brand. I have run my tunze pumps, ac jr and everything else in my tank, as well as computers, plasma television and appliances in my home with no problems. One thing to keep close track of, do NOT, let the generator run out of gas while pulling a load. This can damage some items being operated. It can also damage the generator.

A sea K
08/18/2008, 01:03 PM
IDK a sure answer for you but I just purchased a generator in preperation for the storm. I made sure the generator was equipped with a automatic voltage regulator. This is supposed to deliver "clean" power so not to damage sensitive electronics. I have Tunze pumps also and this was my main concern. It may be just selling hype but I made sure the one I got had this feature.

JayB1224
08/18/2008, 02:15 PM
Check your ballasts, I know when i got my SLS galaxy ballast it says do no run on generator.

Entropy
08/18/2008, 02:45 PM
I wonder if you could get a small battery UPS in between the tank and the generator to condition the line? My wall power is not that great, so I doubt it would be any worse on a decent generator.

mskohl
08/18/2008, 04:28 PM
My UPS recognized that it wasn't plugged into the wall and wouldn't charge f/ the generator.

You might just put a surge protector of some kind between the extension cord and your plugs.... most of us use them anyway.

lecher
08/18/2008, 04:42 PM
The Tunze's and the ACjr. power supplies convert the power to DC anyway, so it should not be an issue.