PDA

View Full Version : Refugium?

Carl Barone
08/18/2008, 11:33 AM
I am planning on setting up a 180 RR I am not sure how to feed the main tank into the refugium. Is ther anywhere I can go for pictures or is it easy enough to explain. I know how to drain the tank just not sure about how when it drains into the refugium.

Thank you in advance

NealNano
08/18/2008, 11:54 AM
If you have an overflow just plumb it into the fuge just like tou would a sump. I dont run a conventional sump, my sump is my fuge. Skimmer is on the inlet side so as not to skim out all the good stuff from the fuge.

Carl Barone
08/19/2008, 07:01 AM
Thank u for responding I guess my question how do you plumb the water into the refugium the unions for the water at the refugium end. Do you just have the hose for the water from the tank go below your water level in refugium?

tangtang clown
08/19/2008, 08:29 AM
I have a PVC pipe that goes up the back of my DT and siphons water down to my fuge( very simple ). I have a gate valve in-line to adjust the flow to the fuge. I tapped the top of the PVC and inserted a brass 1/4" barb which is connected to an aqua lifter pump via airline hose. This will resume the siphon if the power blinks. I have hose at the bottom hanging in the inlet side of my fuge. 4 months and no probs. Opps did I just say that?

das75
08/19/2008, 04:13 PM
tangtang, careful with the brass (copper) with a reef tank

good fuge article here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/reefslides/index.php) with pictures.

I'm doing how others mentioned, teeing into a drain line. The valve in the vertical leg controls the flow to the fuge, the horizontal valve is to isolate if needed. The fuge itself has a coast to coast style overflow.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sump_fuge.jpg

tangtang clown
08/20/2008, 06:25 AM
Guess I will have to do some reading on copper. I didn't even think about that. I need to see what the right flow rate is for my fuge. I have my fuge pumped over to the sump which has the feed pump for the skimmer and the only return back to the tank. I have recently seen some copes in my collection cup. I think I need to get a return pump to pump from fuge back to DT. Thanks for the info.

inachu
08/20/2008, 08:41 AM
I like the idea of using pvc piping but using a regular hose I would think cut down on noise.

GSMguy
08/20/2008, 08:44 AM
GET THAT BRASS OUT FAST

tangtang clown
08/20/2008, 11:36 AM
Change it to plastic will I do young Jedi. It has been there for about three months. I had to drill and thread tap the pvc to screw the barb in. Should I just super glue a plastic barb in its place?

What is the recommend flow rate of a Fuge?