PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find this picture.

Minhle100
08/18/2008, 10:24 PM
About a month ago I was looking at a thread and there was a picture of a tank that had a large ledge all around the tank. The person that posted the picture said that it was good to have so that they could work on the tank and be able to walk around the tank.

I have gone 35 pages deep into the "large" tanks section and I can't seem to find it. If I can remember correctly the picture is on the second page of the thread.

Thanks everyone. I am looking at this as an option for my future tank. I'm thinking of going to a 420g tank but wanted to best utilize the space that I have.

Untamed12
08/18/2008, 11:51 PM
The bar that I built around my tank came to be specifically because I wanted something to stand on. On the backside, the stand itself is about 1 foot bigger than the tank so it provides the same function on the back.

Pgs 1 and 4 will show you what I mean.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436&page=4

Minhle100
08/19/2008, 07:41 AM
thanks untamed i just went through your build and I really love it. you and i have the samething in mind i guess. your tank is viewable from two sides and is an in wall, mine is going to be a pennisula viewable from three side. but and this is a big but the tanks are going to be the same size almost. mine is going to be 6' left to right and 4' front to back, i was going to go with 28" from top to bottom with puts me at the 419g mark. i know that yours is 24" if you could do it again would you go with that or would you still stick with the 24".

also i'm going to using acrylic also...how has that held up for you? is that showing any ware and tare yet?

forddna
08/19/2008, 08:44 AM
A lot of people hated my old stand, but this gives you another idea. The part sticking out doubled as a coffee table in its original home. The cool part is was that it was completely subfloored - meaning, it was as safe and sturdy to stand on as an actual floor in your home. Made tank maintenance easy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/forddna/Fishies/120%20Gallon%20Freshwater%20Tank/9-6-07.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/forddna/Fishies/120%20Gallon%20Freshwater%20Tank/9-6-07-TILE.jpg

It also gives you more room inside the stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/forddna/Fishies/120%20Gallon%20Freshwater%20Tank/StandInside.jpg

If I did something like that again (I purchased it from the original owner/builder, btw), I would make it about half that depth. But like I said, the guy planned for it to be a coffee table, too.

forddna
08/19/2008, 08:45 AM
haha...I just noticed that it was Halloween time in the first pic and Christmas in the last. :)

Untamed12
08/19/2008, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13183319#post13183319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Minhle100
thanks untamed i just went through your build and I really love it. you and i have the samething in mind i guess. your tank is viewable from two sides and is an in wall, mine is going to be a pennisula viewable from three side. but and this is a big but the tanks are going to be the same size almost. mine is going to be 6' left to right and 4' front to back, i was going to go with 28" from top to bottom with puts me at the 419g mark. i know that yours is 24" if you could do it again would you go with that or would you still stick with the 24".

also i'm going to using acrylic also...how has that held up for you? is that showing any ware and tare yet?

If I did it again I would go 6' x 6'...but I would still not go more than 26" tall. (My tank is actually 26", not 24") That is the limit of my arm reach.

The reason I would go 6' x 6' is because it turns out that it is possible to crawl around on top of the tank to reach the middle. The 1" acrylic is THAT strong.

Yes, the tank is showing a fair bit of wear (scratches). I have never scratched the tank personally (cleaning, whatever). All the scratches are caused by fish teeth, fish spines and a sea urchin. If the scratches ever get to be a problem, I know I can polish them out. I just don't like the look of glass (even low-iron glass). I would do acrylic again.

While my tank has two primary viewing sides, it is also viewable from the back and the other side as well. The view from the back and other side are mostly just for me!

Minhle100
08/19/2008, 01:26 PM
yeah my idea is to have a deeper tank. i was already worried about how i would light it (with a 6'x4' tank) and now your telling me a 6'x6' would have been your choice. hell that makes me wonder if i should just do that instead. that would definitely give me the depth that i want to have. but again that would make my decision for light even more difficult. i was think of doing 4 400w radiums. but i'm afraid that that would put off too much heat. the difference between my setup and yours is that i am going to have to have a canopy since my tank is going to be coming off of a wall in my living room.

yeah i like the clear look of acrylic also but i worry about the scratches. anything else you can give me as far as your opinion goes?