PDA

View Full Version : cooling fans and power supply

bolandess
08/19/2008, 09:03 AM
I have been looking around a few electronics websites for a set of 24VDC cooling fans and have found TONS of them but cannot seem to locate a good source for a power supply. The ones I have found are $800 and probably not the right thing.

I know they exist since I read several articles on melevsreef.com and he has installed them into his hoods to cool the water.

Anyone know where to look?

Phyxius
08/19/2008, 09:11 AM
Why do you have to have the 24v fans? There are plenty of good, quite and lots of flow moving 12v fans. They will cost you less in the long run also and a PS is a few bucks.

Even Melev got rid of the ones in the one canopy as he states here:
After putting up with the noise of those 24v fans, I replaced them with 12v fans instead.

bolandess
08/19/2008, 09:22 AM
You are right....I do remember reading that now. How about the PS for them? Any good ideas? I've been searching newark.com right now.

Phyxius
08/19/2008, 09:30 AM
K-Mart, Walmart and the like all have adjustable voltage ones and fixed voltage ones for cheap. Old cell phone chargers also will work if around 9v output

Just look for a AC/DC adapter that can put out 9-12V and enough milliamps that is more than the total on your fans...

Gtstricky
08/19/2008, 09:35 AM
I think the two on this page are 24v but call and ask: http://thefilterguys.biz/booster_pumps.htm

rcgates
08/19/2008, 01:02 PM
look at www.jameco.com, they have a large selection of power supplies of various ratings and types.