PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

ccallahan
08/19/2008, 11:24 AM
My 180 gallon aquarium center brace fell into the aquarium last night. It appears as though the silicone gave way and the center brace fell into the aquarium. My lights fell into the tank also shorting them out, and the whole tank now has a bow to it. I fastened the center of the tank with two pipe clamps to prevent further bowing which has helped. I noticed this morning that all 4 pieces of glass have seperated this morning probably due the aquarium bowing and and the water pressure. I fasted a rachet strap to the center of the aquarium to prevent it from opening more. Is there any way to fix this?? Would it even be possible?? Would I be better off just buying a new aquarium?? Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sk8r
08/19/2008, 11:26 AM
I'd say get a new tank asap: no telling what seam will go next.

Michael
08/19/2008, 11:56 AM
empty that tank asap, before it bursts all over the floor, sounds like you need a new tank

tuckrule
08/19/2008, 12:00 PM
Definitely get that water out of there as fast as you can. You are begging for trouble, each minute you waste.

inachu
08/19/2008, 12:34 PM
How does a center brace fall?!?!?!
Rust?

Michael
08/19/2008, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13185075#post13185075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by inachu
How does a center brace fall?!?!?!
Rust?

no the silicon sealant gave way, it perished:)

Amoore311
08/19/2008, 12:39 PM
I would go out and buy a new tank asap..... if you can't set another 180 up fast go buy some Rubbermaid stock tanks and drain the tank into those. That will give you some time to set the new tank up.

masonicman
08/19/2008, 12:58 PM
I am nervous for u, Please go get a new tank now.

griss
08/19/2008, 01:05 PM
Like the others said, you either need to replace the tank or move everything into some stock tanks.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of tank is it? How old is it?

ccallahan
08/19/2008, 02:11 PM
The tank is about 2 yrs old. I was thinking of siphoning all water into the bathtub; store all live rock, hermit crabs, starfish, and clownfish there with two powerheads for current. Would this be a quick and simple solution till i get the new tank???

griss
08/19/2008, 02:12 PM
I would be concerned about soap/shampoo/etc. residue in the bathtub.

Amoore311
08/19/2008, 02:38 PM
You can get 2 90 Gallon Rubber Maid stock tanks for like $70/each. Run over to tractor supply and do it that way.

Don't risk the bathub scenario with the shampoo and everything that could be in there.

atrox
08/19/2008, 02:59 PM
If that seam went, its only a matter of time before the seams all give. if you need a quick fix go and buy some brute trash cans. Try and save as much water as possible and set some power heads in there. Then run to the LFS tell them your situation, and maybe they can work out a deal for you on a new tank.

Macimage
08/19/2008, 03:32 PM
If you can't get to a Lowes or Home Depot to purchase some of their square storage boxes, such as Rubbermaid Roughnecks (which work better than trashcans, as there is more surface area for oxygen exchange), then the bathtub is better than having your tank burst. If you must use the bathtub, I'd clean it up really well, maybe even bleach it and then scrub it down with declorinator.

Joyce

tuckrule
08/19/2008, 06:30 PM
If you must use bath tub, I would use vinegar and or bleach to clean, make sure you towel dry and let sit until completely evaporated. Also beware that in a bath tub you're seal will not last forever. It will leak slowly. So I would mark a fill line on the tub w/ tape or something, and make sure you add SALT WATER

Macimage
08/19/2008, 06:58 PM
It will leak slowly. So I would mark a fill line on the tub w/ tape or something, and make sure you add SALT WATER

Add salt water if it is leaking and add RO/DI water if it is evaporating.

Joyce