PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing my last fish

edsbeaker
08/19/2008, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I need some help making a good choice for my last fish. The two that I'm between are a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly, or a Yellow Tang.

My stocking right now is
2 firefish
2 percula clowns
1 watchman goby
1 coral beauty
1 hippo tang

My tank is 75 gallons. I know some people feel a yellow tang might be questionable for a 75, But others think it is fine. I'm really on the fence with this. I would prefer the tang over the pyramid butterfly, if at all possible. So what do you all think?

chark
08/19/2008, 06:58 PM
I think the Pyramid Butterfly would be excellent. The Yellow tangs can often be mean. You already have a tang and I like diversity.

kau_cinta_ku
08/19/2008, 07:16 PM
IMO I would switch the hippo tang with the yellow and add the butterfly. the hippo will get outgrow that tank.

sassafrass
08/19/2008, 07:25 PM
You will hear all kinds of ideas here and I have a yellow tang in a 150 and think my tank is to small for it . As it grows it gets more and more aggressive this just my experience. I woyuld remove it if I could but that would require tearing down the entire tank (not something I want to tackle) Lee

edsbeaker
08/19/2008, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13187899#post13187899 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
IMO I would switch the hippo tang with the yellow and add the butterfly. the hippo will get outgrow that tank.

I'm so confused sometimes of what choices to make. :confused: According to liveaquaria, the hippo is fine for a 75, and it's the yellow tang that requires a larger tank, Maybe because the yellow is more active???

Maxi
08/19/2008, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13187899#post13187899 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku

that sounds like a good idea.

edsbeaker
08/19/2008, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13187957#post13187957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sassafrass
You will hear all kinds of ideas here and I have a yellow tang in a 150 and think my tank is to small for it . As it grows it gets more and more aggressive this just my experience. I woyuld remove it if I could but that would require tearing down the entire tank (not something I want to tackle) Lee

I think the Pyramid Butterfly would be excellent. The Yellow tangs can often be mean. You already have a tang and I like diversity.

I have a pretty peaceful tank right now. It sounds like the yellow tang might be a problem in the future.

Does anyone see a problem with the pyramid butterfly with my stocking list?

jjmcat
08/19/2008, 07:41 PM
IMO the hippo will become more aggressive then the yellow tang.Have you looked into a kole tang?I just bought one for my 110 and he is always out swimming around.

Maxi
08/19/2008, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13187973#post13187973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edsbeaker
I'm so confused sometimes of what choices to make. :confused: According to liveaquaria, the hippo is fine for a 75, and it's the yellow tang that requires a larger tank, Maybe because the yellow is more active???

Well, from peoples experience keeping a blue tang is not a good idea for a 75 because the size they reach.

Yellow tangs are smaller.

Now, I've never kept these fish, but from reading peoples experience, even though the blue tang is pretty, its not fair to put it in a tank with limited space, other than the space it requires. (125+ gallons)
Remember, they like to jet from one side of the tank to the other really fast.

I think I am becoming like the tang police. lol.

let one of them chime in and lets see what they say. Personally, I would put one, because when I see a 75gallon tank I think its HUGE. But again, you have to think of the future of the fish

kau_cinta_ku
08/19/2008, 07:42 PM
you can go to alot of diff. sites and see all kinds of diff. lists for tank sizes per fish. me personally have found the book Marine Fishies by Scott W. Michael to be about the best source for size reqirements and such.

the hippo tang can reach a max. size of 12.2". and the yellow tang 7.9". and IMO the yellow will do better in a smaller tank than the hippo.

edsbeaker
08/19/2008, 07:47 PM
I had originally thought about a kole, but was talked out of it by a LFS who said as adults their colors get very drab. True?

If I were to get rid of my Hippo Tang, how do I explain to my 2 yr old grandson that "Dory" went bye bye. :sad1:

kau_cinta_ku
08/19/2008, 07:53 PM
kole tangs IMO are nice looking as adults. another one to look at is the choclate tang, very beautiful as an adult IMO.

as for the grandson part that is a hard one :D

BTW is this a reef tank? if so I would skip the butterfly.

edsbeaker
08/19/2008, 08:01 PM
OK, everyone. I guess I made a big mistake on the hippo tang. I thought Liveaquaria was pretty accurate about their tank requirements, but I'm always learning from everyone here. I will catch poor Dory and remove him so he can have a happy life. I just hope some goofball with a 55 doesn't come along and buy him!

So at this point I am open to figuring out what two fish to add, one at a time. I'll look again at the Kole and the Chocolate (I've never seen this one before). Are there any other Tangs that are appropriate for a 75?

BTW, it is a reef tank. RC people say that a pyramid butterfly is not 100% safe, but "usually" doesn't create any problems. Ill think about that one as well.

crvz
08/19/2008, 08:31 PM
I love my mimic (chocolate) (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=859&cid=287) tang. I like the idea that they morph colors from juveniles to adults. I'd recommend getting a half-black mimic (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=858&cid=287), though, as they're a bit more unique. Note that these fish are the same species, but I think they're collected from different parts of the world.

It's a good move swapping out the blue tang, too. Mine quickly became too much for my 150 gallon tank. While Live Aquaria is usually a good source of information, and a great source for livestock, their minimum tank recommendations are weak at best in most cases.

sassafrass
08/19/2008, 09:31 PM
For future purchases only take advice from sources who have nothing to gain from your decision . Another thing to consider is fish frequently vary from the profile you may read ,I have a school of dispar anthias that love algae and used to have a bangaii cardinal that was aggressive . I think that it is great that you are doing all this research ,a few good books like kau-cinta-ku said Marine fishes by scott michael and take it to the store with you. You will be surprised at how much misinformation you will hear ,it has stopped me from making impulse buy's