PDA

View Full Version : Gurgling noise from AGA overflows

Recty
08/20/2008, 10:07 AM
I recently set up a 210 gallon tank. I've always just used hang on the back of the tank type overflows, but I've never ran a tank bigger than 125 gallons until now.

Anyway, I bought the "reef ready" 210 which has the internal overflows. I used the All Glass overflow kits, drains down into my 55g sump.

So I'm getting this sucking, toilet flushing sound... correct me if I'm wrong but this is caused by a siphon forming? It "flushes" about every 4 or 5 seconds and this tank is in my living room so it's a little louder than my wife is willing to put up with.

Any suggestions on fixing this? I remember reading something once upon a time about the hole size on the top of the overflow having something to do with it. Do I make the hole bigger or smaller to stop the siphon? I'd assume bigger, as what is probably happening now is it isnt quite getting enough air in to keep a siphon from forming?

gimmic
08/20/2008, 10:38 AM
Could also be your piping below forming air bubbles and restricting flow? Make sure all tubing is at a slight angle so no air collects at any elbows.

crvz
08/20/2008, 12:16 PM
what does your standpipe in the overflow look like? There are a lot of good solutions for silencing them and stopping a siphon, but what do you have in there now?

quikenuff
08/20/2008, 12:32 PM
mine did the same thing when they were new. I contacted AGA and was told the same thing Gimmic had mentioned. Make sure all plumbing after the bulkheads is going down on a declining angle. if you have any loops or U shaped drops in the plumbing after the bulkheads try to remove them as well. After a couple of days it seemed to work itself out for me. Also try adjusting the hight of the drain tubes inside the inturnal overflow. Adjust them up or down and inch at a time waiting 10 or 15 min between adjustments for the flow balence back out.

Quik

Recty
08/20/2008, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13191553#post13191553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gimmic
Could also be your piping below forming air bubbles and restricting flow? Make sure all tubing is at a slight angle so no air collects at any elbows. There arent any elbows at all. I basically go straight down into my sump from the bulkhead. I used 1.25" flexible tubing. It has a slight angle to it, but it is by no means sideways or having an elbow, it's pretty much straight down into the sump.

Recty
08/20/2008, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13192289#post13192289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by quikenuff
mine did the same thing when they were new. I contacted AGA and was told the same thing Gimmic had mentioned. Make sure all plumbing after the bulkheads is going down on a declining angle. if you have any loops or U shaped drops in the plumbing after the bulkheads try to remove them as well. After a couple of days it seemed to work itself out for me. Also try adjusting the hight of the drain tubes inside the inturnal overflow. Adjust them up or down and inch at a time waiting 10 or 15 min between adjustments for the flow balence back out.

Quik At what level should my overflow pipe end in the sump? Right now it goes about and inch below the surface of the sump water, maybe this is causing the problem?

As far as the height of the draintube inside the overflow, both sides of the tank are set to the max height. I guess I could try lowering and see if that helps. The weird thing is it is just my right side drain doing in, the left overflow isnt making the noise.

gimmic
08/20/2008, 02:53 PM
You can either make the drain end above the waterline by half an inch or two, or put an angle on it with a T, some way for the air to escape other than traveling out the bottom or all the way out at the top?

Recty
08/20/2008, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13193260#post13193260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gimmic
You can either make the drain end above the waterline by half an inch or two, or put an angle on it with a T, some way for the air to escape other than traveling out the bottom or all the way out at the top? That makes sense. Seems like making the T would be the quieter solution, correct? The water falling half an inch from the pipe to the top of the sump water surface would make a loud splashing noise I would think.

gimmic
08/20/2008, 03:21 PM
People often reccomend using a sock, or a pile of live rock rubble to dampen the splashing. Here's what I've done and seems to work OK

http://pixelshifted.net/fish/P1000404.JPG

shag26272
08/20/2008, 05:24 PM
which return pump are you using, turn down the valve on the pump and it should quiet down

Recty
08/20/2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I've got a filter sock around the output right now, but that isnt exactly acoustic grade sound muffling ;) You still hear splashing right through it.

As far as the return pumps go, I've got a Mag Drive 9.5 on each side. I could turn it down, but then I wouldnt get as much flow back into my tank, bleh. I dont want to have to do that if possible.

I did run a T on the line that returns to the tank, with a ball valve attached so I can simply turn that to allow less water into the tank and more back into the sump, but I'd really like to avoid that if possible.

TikiDan
08/20/2008, 11:03 PM
what are you using as a return pump? If you are using a mag 18, I believe you may need to downsize to a mag 12

I tried running a mag18 on my 125 AGA megaflow tank and it got the same flushing sound. I replaced it with a 900gph eheim and now there is no noise at all. :)

Recty
08/21/2008, 12:50 AM
I'm using two Mag Drive 9.5s, one for each side of the tank.

shag26272
08/21/2008, 07:35 AM
Well there you go. Its a 1 in. drain right? way too much flow youre trying to push through there. You should just use 1 of the pumps and split it to both returns. There is no reason to be pushing that much flow through your sump anyway.

Recty
08/21/2008, 09:38 AM
As far as too much flow through my sump, that is a matter of opinion, not a factual statement.

My reasoning behind the flow is simply really... I want a lot of return for more current in the main tank. My sump can easily handle it.

The Mag 9.5 should be about 700 gph at the head I have and I figured that was estimated high, so I was hoping I'd be able to hit 600 gph. Could be that the manufacturer didnt actually say something was capable of more than it could do, although this would be one of the first times I've ever seen that :)

I did turn the pumps down last night and it did make a difference, however, I am still getting the sucking noise, just not as frequently. I wanted to make small changes rather than one big one, so I'll adjust flow again today and see what happens.

Who knows, I may end up going down to just one 9.5, I'll use the other one for mixing water and doing water changes and what not.

shag26272
08/21/2008, 09:44 AM
600 gph is the max it will handle so you should shoot for a little less

Recty
08/21/2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I realize that. I dont know if I mentioned it or not, but there are two overflows. So it isnt as if I'm trying to run two 9.5 on one overflow, the overflow should be able to handle 1000-1200 gph easily combined.

Theguyfromnj
08/21/2008, 11:18 AM
I had an issue with mine as well, i cured most of the issue by changing the plumbing. I did have it running straight down into the sump, I changed it so it now goes to an elbow then to the far end of the stand into my sump.
My problem was the water was flowing down so fast that it made a lot of noise including the flushing sound, by forcing the water to an elbow then horizontal then another elbow, it slowed down a lot and most of the noise went away.

Recty
08/21/2008, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, I'll probably give that a shot.

Interesting thing about forums, one guy recommends making sure it is a straight shot down into the sump to reduce noise, two other people recommend putting in elbows and T's :)

Different strokes work for different folks, I guess.

I'm going to try reducing my flow and then if that doesnt work, I'll move over to a changing my plumbing approach.

jasonh
08/21/2008, 01:18 PM
Ditch the standpipes that came with the tank and build a Hofer Gurgle Buster:

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Had one on my 70g and it was dead silent.

Recty
08/21/2008, 02:30 PM
I just went and turned the flow down about halfway on both pumps, the tank is pretty quiet now. The only noise I'm really hearing is the water splashing in the sump, so my next fixes will be regarding that. Once I get that quieted down, then I'll probably be able to hear the drains again and I'll want to quiet those down.

Then I'll be able to hear the sump and want to quiet that down... vicious cycle.