PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Remove Star Polyps from Rocks.

Tennyson
08/20/2008, 01:26 PM
I want to remove a large mat of star polyps from my rock, mostly because its growing way too fast and is taking up too much space in my tank.

What would be the best way to remove it? Just to peel it off or cut it off with a razor?

And I would also like to know if they will release toxins into the water after being pulled off from a rock. And if it could be dangerous to my corals or me.

thanks

Tennyson
08/20/2008, 02:21 PM
Well I fragged it all off, from a video on youtube. I just peeled it off from the rock in the tank with my bare hands. I'm just worried thought because I heard zoanthids and similar species have deadly toxins. And since I used just my bare hands...
So are these part of the family that has those deadly toxins?

Thanks

rick rottet
08/22/2008, 10:03 AM
no.
star polyps (Pachyclavularia sp, sometimes Briareum sp) usually outcompete other corals by simply overgrowing them (as you noted :) ). they really dont need too much in the way of chemical artillary.
the greatest majority of corals have the ability to release some kind of chemical in their own defense. very few are "toxic" to humans, especially with intact skin.
little cuts and scrapes can often leave a person vulnerable to irritations and/or infections, whether it be from the saltwater itself, organics in the water, chemicals/nematocysts from corals, bacteria/viruses in the water and coral mucous is loaded with bacteria (typically).
the same is true of human mucous membranes (eyes, mouth...) always vulnerable to the same kinds of irritations/infections.
in general, it is a good idea to wear gloves (and other protective devices) whenever you touch something that is wet and isnt yours :)
i'm talking about glasses and facesheilds :lol:

ikatobiko
08/22/2008, 03:23 PM
I fastened a dental pick to the handle end of my Kent scraper and slowly peeled them off the rocks. It's actually easier to do when they grow for a while and the "skin" is thicker.

Tennyson
08/22/2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I kinda figured it wasn't toxic since I didn't die. Haha, just kidding. :D

I fragged it, but there are still little tiny specs of it left. But I'm guessing they'll just die out, and I can always rip it off if they start to grow

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jay Fortay
08/25/2008, 03:33 PM
with good params, those little pieces wil most likely regenerate.

Tennyson
08/26/2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the polyps are already sprouted, and it's like those little pieces are growing bak already. ugh.

rick rottet
08/27/2008, 06:11 AM
if the pieces are too difficult to remove, they can always be covered with small blobs of epoxy

roblack
08/27/2008, 07:30 PM
You could take your rocks out and cycle them in the dark, just like the rock cooking method. all coral and algae will die after a couple of weeks without light.

sam75
08/29/2008, 09:14 AM
I had a rock growing GSP that I wanted to remove. I pulled it out of my tank and placed out on our deck in direct sunlight for about 6 hours. It was about 90 degress that day (a lot hotter in the sun). When I went to get it, the rock was completely dry. The GSP had shrived up and the rock was white (all the coralline/algae died). Stuck it back in the tank and the hermit crabs tore up the dead tissue for a few days. Three days later I saw about 10 little polyps shooting up.

You may need something a little stronger than no light for a few weeks... JMO :)

Sk8r
08/29/2008, 09:20 AM
heck, just plot some little removable rocks atop the piece and as they overgrow, pull them off, trade them, put down new rocks. You've got a potential gsp factory there. ;) There's always a market for it.

jubjub
08/30/2008, 10:25 PM
well......i anemone decided it wanted to be very close to some of my gsp.....and well.....lets put it this way i didnt have to worry bout it overgrowing anymore

barnett8
08/31/2008, 08:13 AM
I stuck my galaxea (most aggressive coral I know of) face down on some that were outside their territory. That cleared them up pretty quick... :lol: :uzi:

Tennyson
08/31/2008, 09:07 AM
haha, well the remainder of the polyps aren't doing too well, they haven't opened up for some reason. Probably because I put my goniopora in that nice spot and it's been stinging them ever since.

but the two frags i made are doing great.

barnett8
08/31/2008, 10:06 AM
Hey, I didn't realize how old you were when I first posted, I just got out of 9th grade. Its nice to know that there are other kids keeping reefs out there. :) BTW good luck with goniopora too, I tried one, and it lived about a month.

Tennyson
08/31/2008, 11:39 AM
haah yup. I also found a reefer going into 8th grade now.

and the goni is doing great, so far.

thefatboy
09/03/2008, 02:57 PM
i like to use this to remove GSP from my rocks...

http://www.coresnsaws.com/ImagesCache/CC1300XL-SERIES-CONCRETE-SAW-I14993.jpg