PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor vs. kalk. reactor

Lavish62
08/20/2008, 09:12 PM
Differnces between calcium and kalk reactor? Are you running one or both?

Whats your oppinion?

MplsMan
08/20/2008, 09:18 PM
i have both, i use the kalk reactor as a top off and to keep the ph up.

palawan
08/20/2008, 11:09 PM
Use both like MplsMan said. Plus kalk precipitates phosphates.

Lavish62
08/20/2008, 11:25 PM
thank you I will keep looking into this.

Why the use of both it seems like they do the same thing?

What reactors do you guys recomend?

Zoanut
08/21/2008, 04:16 AM
Tagging along. :bum:

mikenam
08/21/2008, 12:48 PM
From what I've read calcium reactor lowers ph and Kalk highers it. I think a Kalk reactor would be sufficient for a low demand tank but for high demand it's best to use both reactors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

palawan
08/22/2008, 03:24 PM
The kalk reactor is mainly for maintaining the dkh, the calcium reactor maintains the calcium levels. Your tank DKH and CA should start off at the right parameters first before using these reactors. The Co2 used with the calcium reactor lowers the ph in the tank, some people turn off the calcium reactor at night. Also, Co2 shutoff solenoids are used with a ph controller as a failsafe in case too much Co2 lowers the tank ph. A kalk reactor benefits because it increases the ph in the tank,precipitates phosphates and is beneficial using limewater for you top-off. The tricky thing is dialing in the Ca reactor(drip rate/C02 bubble count) for the right tank parameters.

palawan
08/22/2008, 03:24 PM
The kalk reactor is mainly for maintaining the dkh, the calcium reactor maintains the calcium levels. Your tank DKH and CA should start off at the right parameters first before using these reactors. The Co2 used with the calcium reactor lowers the ph in the tank, some people turn off the calcium reactor at night. Also, Co2 shutoff solenoids are used with a ph controller as a failsafe in case too much Co2 lowers the tank ph. A kalk reactor benefits because it increases the ph in the tank,precipitates phosphates and is beneficial using limewater for you top-off. The tricky thing is dialing in the Ca reactor(drip rate/C02 bubble count) for the right tank parameters.

Lavish62
08/22/2008, 05:15 PM
Thank you that it very informative and helps out lot. I am looking which reactors to use at this point.

palawan
08/22/2008, 10:39 PM
Mine is a DIY kalk reactor using a pump to mix the kalk. I use an aqualifter pump that feeds the reactor RODI from a container.