PDA

View Full Version : What makes that clicking noise????

bice0004
01/25/2003, 10:10 PM
I recently bought some florida liverock, and I caught 5 mantis shrimp from the rock by trapping and the suction method (it actually wasn't to hard as long as you sit and watch patiently). I think I got them all, as I haven't seen anymore, but I still hear an ocassional clicking noise coming from the tank. Do other liverock hitchhikers make clicking noises such as crabs or mollusks etc.. or do I probably have more mantis that I just haven't seen yet?

Thanks,

Alex
01/25/2003, 11:51 PM
Well I would have to say it is more mantis. But I could be wrong. Pistol shrimp make the same kind of noise. Being that it is florida LR they are normally full of mantis.

Alex

Krista
01/26/2003, 01:49 PM
What did you do with the five you found so far? There are many people on this board who are trying to find a mantis shrimp, me included. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a home for them. (Like my 10 gallon aquarium that is impatiently waiting for a mantis shrimp of it's own;) )

bice0004
01/26/2003, 02:08 PM
Krista

I put the 5 mantis in a ten gallon tank but there are only 4 now, as one was killed by the others. The one that died happened to be the smallest. I have four left, ranging from 1-2.5 inches and would like to give them to a good home, but I have never shipped shrimp before. If you would like one, let me know and I'll check into how much shipping would be. BTW, if anyone has suggestions on how to package the shrimp for shipping, please let me know.

I have a PVC tube for each one, but the more aggressive one evicts the others and then they have to go find an empty PVC tube. I think I have atleast one female, as she is a darker green and will cohabitate with the males which are redder in coloration. She is promiscous though as she goes from tube to tube to be with the other males.

Andy

bice0004
01/26/2003, 02:13 PM
Alex

I have seen some translucent shrimp about the rocks. They are about .75-1 inch in length. Could these be immature pistol shrimp? Are immature pistol shrimp translucent or are these adults of some other kind? One of the translucent shrimp has quite long pincher arms. Almost as long as its body. Could these shrimp be making the noise? I still haven't seen any other mantis shrimp for over a week although I hear clicks quite frequently, some at day and some at night, some soft and some loud.

Andy

Krista
01/26/2003, 02:21 PM
Andy

Yes I am interested in one of your mantis!! Preferably a male. Here is my email and we can work out the specifics. kristaregi@attbi.com

Alex
01/27/2003, 08:49 PM
Well it is hard to say what they can be without a picture. If it looks like a mini lobster with one big claw and one small claw then there is a good change it is a pistol.

I really need a Pic to confirm.

As for there color I couldn't tell you if it is an adult or young.

Alex

newreefers
01/28/2003, 05:08 AM
I am interested in the mantis if they are peacock mantis. e mail me at queenofconst@aol.com

Alex
01/28/2003, 11:00 AM
They will not be a peacock mantis if all the LR is from florida.

Alex

Peacock mantis live in the pacific ocean.

sanitz2
01/28/2003, 01:53 PM
Is it possible to never see the mantis and do they hunt at night?

duckhuntboy
02/03/2003, 04:25 AM
I would also REALLY like a mantis shrimp. My E-mail is duckhuntboy@hotmail.com.
I'll take one off your hands, and pay the expenses!

lilswanwillow
02/04/2003, 10:21 AM
I live in MN and would love a shrimp too, maybe I could pick it up even, so you wouldnt have to worry about shipping
lilswanwillow@netscape.net
I have a lil ten gallon I could empty REALLLY quickly!!! ( I hate goldfish anyway:D :D :D :D :smokin:

CLAMps
02/08/2003, 09:34 AM
i have a 10 gal. waitin on 1 if there are any still avail. plz e-mail me @ cdmck@direcway.com i will pay all expenses...
thnx, CLAMps

lilswanwillow
02/08/2003, 04:15 PM
well, i went and got a shrimp from bice0004... they are beuts... still pretty little, and cute, and cuddly.... theres only one not 'called' for yet
i wish i had some of the stuff in his big tank though (pout)

CLAMps
02/08/2003, 08:59 PM
do u have his e-mail i would love to get the 1 that is left

lilswanwillow
02/09/2003, 01:28 AM
no i don't, just wait for him to reply to you/// it kinda sounded like he wanted to keep one, or ten...... or maybe even a hundred now that he knows what their like...

bice0004
02/10/2003, 12:36 AM
At this point, all shrimp are spoken for, but I'm planning on getting some more FL liverock, so if there are anymore surprises in it, I will let everyone know, and contact those that have shown interest.

Andy

godlyme
02/14/2003, 04:28 AM
wish i had seen this forum sooner..i used to catch them lil boogers by the dozens when i lived in the keys, would have loved to hook u guys up...i had one break my tank once..this happen to any of u?? PS they freakin hurt if u try and pick em up

sgenadek
02/27/2003, 12:54 AM
When I was snorkeling in florida those mantis shrimp where everywhere. I picked one big one up without knowing what it was. Luckily it didn't tag me. Why don't you call tampa bay saltwater or Tom's caribbean tropicals. They could probably supply you with a mantis.

sgenadek
02/27/2003, 01:00 AM
I heard hermit crabs click or tap on new shells before they enter. They do this to make sure they are empty. I also have continous clicking sounds day and night coming from my 220 gallon reef. This has been going on for years. I have moved the tank twice and completely tore everything down. I have never seen a mantis. I belive my clicking sounds are the hermits. Maybe this could explain some sounds in other peoples tanks as well. Does anybody have a similar experience? I would like to know what the heck does make that sound- hermits, or mantis. I know I don't have a pistol shrimp. I did have one and got rid of it. :confused:

duckhuntboy
02/27/2003, 01:17 AM
my hermits bang their ***** on the glass quite frequently, making clicking noises. Maybe I just have ***** crabs.... I only have three of them, and they all do it (I have a nano).

duckhuntboy
02/27/2003, 01:17 AM
I said a s s and q u e e r.

"q u e e r" meaning abnormal.... I don't know why they'd asteric that out....?:D

bice0004
02/27/2003, 12:55 PM
I still hear the clicking quite frequently. It is very loud, and if my hand is in the tank when it happens, I can feel it through the water. I haven't been able to localize it yet, but haven't seen a mantis for over a month in the main display. I did add a small pistol shrimp that came as a hitchhiker on some new rock. I found it in the bottom of the bucket after I added the rock. It was about 1/4 inch long, and had one huge claw and one normal sized one. This little 1/4 fellow could sure make a racket though. In the bucket, he sounded just like the much larger mantis shrimp. Since adding him to the main display, I haven't seen him since, but I still hear the tapping noise. It could very well be, that I have a few of these small pistol shrimp that don't come out too often, but are making the racket. Otherwise, I could't imagine the small blue-legged hermits I have making the loud popping noise that I frequently hear.

Andy

sgenadek
02/27/2003, 03:44 PM
I watched a discovery channel documentery that included a part on the pistol shrimp. It said the shrimp snaps it's claw with so much force that it super heats the surrounding water to creat a concusive blast to knock out it's prey items such as crabs, shrimp and fish. It showed a pistol shrimp knocking out a full size skunk cleaner shrimp with a snap of it's claw. The claw doesn't actually touch the prey item. Then they measured the temperature of the super heated water and said it was equal to the temperature of the sun! I had one in my reef tank before i found all this out. He didn't seem to do to much damage. Occasionally a fish would be found with pieces out of them, atail missing etc. My other shrimp would come out with claws missing and stuff, but I never actually seen the pistol shrimp do it so I can't say for sure if it was him.