PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so now I have my glue. Now what?

mangelo
08/21/2008, 07:19 PM
So I take the piece out that I want to glue, dab some glue on him, and then stick him back in the water on a rock or something?

VacavilleFC3S
08/21/2008, 07:23 PM
?????

stricknine
08/21/2008, 07:40 PM
SK8R,

Not a fish purchase, but I want to place a hammer coral next to my existing green torch. I have researched mixed reviews, some say the same family is ok together, some say to stay stinger length away. will they be ok close together?

Any input on stinging corals of the same family? ( I have torch, frogspawn, bubble, and want a hammer. all Caryophyllidae)

Anyone try to group them? Results?

Thanks!

Brewman12er
08/21/2008, 07:54 PM
think this is one of those "they shouldnt" but it is dependent on the individual coral peices..

as far as for the glue. yes just pull the coral out of the water pat dry the rock and coral slap on some glue. press together for a few sec. then place back in the water..

mangelo
08/21/2008, 08:07 PM
So I have to pull out the coral and the piece of rock?

I also need to glue some small pieces of rock with coral attached to larger rock. You mean I have to pull out the big rocks too?

ludiNano
08/21/2008, 08:20 PM
i have just dabed the glue on the coral(out of the water). Then stuck it where it was going and hold. Dabing the end of the coral is a good idea, should help the glue bond.

But if you can pull the rock out i would or will now sounds like a great idea.

IslandCrow
08/21/2008, 09:21 PM
As stated, it's easiest if both the rock and coral are out of the water, but it's certainly possible to glue a frag under water. First, make sure you know exactly where you want to place the frag. I'll usually do a dry run (without glue) where I place the frag against the rock I plan to glue it to just to make sure it's going to fit fairly flush and that's really where I want it. Once you've got that down, put a generous amount of superglue on the frag (make sure you can still grip it firmly without gluing yourself to the frag). Next, place the frag firmly against the rock. A skin will form over the glue, so don't dilly-dally. As you're placing the frag against the rock, give it about a 1/4 twist. This will help break the skin that's formed over the glue, allowing the wet glue underneath to bond to the rock. Hold the frag firmly in place for about 30 seconds to a minute. At that point, it should remain in place by itself (if not, pull it out and try again). You'll still want to make sure it's not disturbed for another 5 minutes or so while the glue dries completely.

ludiNano
08/21/2008, 09:52 PM
Use the gell glue too.

IslandCrow
08/22/2008, 07:23 AM
Use the gell glue too.

Yes, very good point if you didn't know already. If you're able to take the rock out, you can use the non gel type (though gel is still easier). If you're gluing under water, gel is really the only viable option.

Tswifty
08/22/2008, 07:29 AM
Here's what I do:

Frag -- Super Glue Gel -- Rock -- 2 Part Epoxy -- Super Glue Gel

Then stick it wherever I want it in the tank.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/TR02.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/epoxy1.jpg