PDA

View Full Version : Algae eater

anbosu
08/22/2008, 10:05 AM
I currently have a 120 set up with a lionfish, six line soapfish, lunare wrasse, and a baby snowflake moray eel. I have two conchs in the tank that eat some algae and detritus, but I would like to add another fish to the tank that will help keep the algae down. Obviously with this crew small snails and crabs are devoured pretty much instantly. I've considered a blenny, but I'm worried it will be too small since the lionfish and grouper are both big enough to easily swallow one whole. At this point I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks!

jda
08/22/2008, 10:14 AM
Rabbitfish are the best algae eaters, but even sometimes they will not eat it.

Best bet is to control the source of the algae or kill it by turning the lights off for a while.

Grouperhead
08/22/2008, 10:34 AM
What kind of algae is it? Is it from lighting or nutrients in the water? A foxface would be your best bet, but like jda said that doesn't mean the one you get will eat the algae in your tank.

sunfishh
08/22/2008, 10:36 AM
I agree a foxface or other rabbit fish should work

anbosu
08/22/2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have some macro algae (which I don't really mind, it looks like seaweed) and hair algae, which I really want to get rid of.

I can definitely cut back on the lighting, which will help some, but until I get a better skimmer I'm not really sure of a way to keep the excess nutrients down.

jda
08/22/2008, 11:19 AM
Water changes are about all that you are left with. On my FOWLR, I vacuum a different 10% of the gravel. This seems to help keep the N and P down by removing organics yet not disturbing the entire sandbed.

Other choices include using GFO to remove the Phosphate, running a fuge with chateo or buying a denitrator.

Grouperhead
08/22/2008, 11:27 AM
Get a small hob fuge. They can really do a great job reducing nutrients. Water changes too. I've seen foxface mow through hair algae too.