PDA

View Full Version : melevsreef RO/DI

barnett8
08/22/2008, 09:20 AM
Is it a good unit? How does it compare to other larger names such as Kent, Maxxima, or Pinnacle?

BigJay
08/22/2008, 09:41 AM
It works great, and comes with all the support you need.

jubjub
08/22/2008, 10:59 AM
check out thefilterguys a sponser on here....i think it was like 30bux cheaper and people really like them i sure do

BigJay
08/22/2008, 03:45 PM
When you go to buy an RO unit, be sure to keep an eye on the GPD that the unit is rated for. Some of the less expensive units out there are 50 or 75 GPD units. That will work fine, but you'll wait much longer for your unit to make RO water. I bought a big tank, so 100GPD works out fine for me.

You'll also want a five stage setup if possible, that adds in the de-ionizer resin that removes more TDS from the water.

You'll also want to make sure that wherever you buy the unit will sell replacement membranes, resin, and carbon. Every six months or so the media needs to be replaced.

HaleMoana
08/22/2008, 08:03 PM
I have Melev's unit and I love it. 100gpd.

I have heard great things about the filter guys too, but I don't have experience with them.

Melev's is a homerun. Great price for a great unit with great productivity.

BlueCorn
08/22/2008, 08:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13209401#post13209401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HaleMoana
I have Melev's unit and I love it. 100gpd.

I have heard great things about the filter guys too, but I don't have experience with them.

Melev's is a homerun. Great price for a great unit with great productivity.

Could you please explain, via PM, why you need two accounts?

unbreakable
08/22/2008, 08:12 PM
75gpd has a 98% rejection rate while i think the 100gpd membranes have something like 90% rejection rate

i have the ocean reef + 1 and comes with everything i need. PSI guage lets me know when my PSI is too low, which i usually around 40psi. tds meter lets me know when to replace DI resin and see how my other filters are doing

yoboyjdizz
08/22/2008, 08:13 PM
I have one and love it!

coralfragger101
08/22/2008, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13209433#post13209433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Could you please explain, via PM, why you need two accounts?

Is this wrong?

I'm also wondering why you would choose to call this person out in an open forum and then request the response via PM.

Seems to me that maybe this should have been handled via PM completely.

As is - you have left the impression that this guy is doing something wrong which may or may not be true.

HaleMoana
08/22/2008, 08:53 PM
^I am confused too... But I sent a pm

HaleMoana
08/22/2008, 09:04 PM
If it's being insinuated that I am a shill for Melev, I would like to assure everyone that I certainly am not. I am just a beginner aquariast that purchased Melev's unit about 4 months ago and have been extremely satisfied. for whatever it's worth... here is a pic of the unit in my basement.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h99/ryanrhat/CIMG1772.jpg

scorcho
08/22/2008, 10:34 PM
i would check out airwaterice.com they offer great products and their service is over the top!

FranktheTankTx
08/22/2008, 10:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13209686#post13209686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
Is this wrong?

I'm also wondering why you would choose to call this person out in an open forum and then request the response via PM.

Seems to me that maybe this should have been handled via PM completely.

As is - you have left the impression that this guy is doing something wrong which may or may not be true.
Completely agree... handled poorly.

Jessy.
08/22/2008, 11:01 PM
Hey I just wanted to answer the OP's question about melev's RO/DI unit. Here's a link to my "thank you" to him in his sponsor forum because I just got mine a few weeks ago and love it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1450850

I'm at a loss at why when someone asks how a specific product is, people post, "Oh go to ____" How in the world is that answering the OP's question?

I found marcs instructions on the website a nice value added feature too. My dad and I went step by step on those instructions when we put mine in. My tap water was reading 450 before it goes into the system and comes out 0 so i'm really happy with that. I can't however compare to the larger systems because I don't have one. But what I can tell you is that my parents had someone come out and quote one of those systems and they quoted $1600 CRAAY ZEEE

cpeisher
08/22/2008, 11:58 PM
let me put it to you like this...i recently got a second hand ebay special RO/DI unit from a reefer who was leaving the hobby...i had a ridiculous amount of trouble with it as you can see documented here...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1455993

You will see at least once in the thread where i said i wish i had bought his unit new. You will also note that he is the person who responded the most in that thread with advice that fixed the various problems. If that's the kind of help he gave for a product he didn't sell, just imagine the caliber of support you'll get if you buy from him. Never forget, when you buy a product, you're also buying customer service, which is far more valuable in the long run than most people think. If you buy a unit from him, you will not be disappointed. You may find a lower price, but melev is a reef expert and he sells products that he uses.

I think Jesse's post says it all, 450 ppm coming in, 0 going out from the first time they connected it.

I have 12 ppm tap water (which is excellent water quality BTW) going in and 1 ppm coming out of my second hand ebay special RO/DI.

nuff siad