PDA

View Full Version : boxfish (cowfish longhorn)

jden092901
08/22/2008, 12:05 PM
I will be setting up a 120 (upgrading from my 29 gallon). I would love to get a boxfish, cowfish longhorn. Would they be ok in a reef tank. I know it says to use caution, what ya think

Josh

Savas
08/22/2008, 01:35 PM
No. Absolutely not. Let me save you some money and headaches.

Sk8r
08/22/2008, 01:39 PM
Toxic. Delicate, apt to die, and when it dies will release toxin that will kill your tank. Add to that list cucumbers (some worse than others) and most members of that fishy family.

Puterguru
08/22/2008, 01:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13207124#post13207124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Toxic. Delicate, apt to die, and when it dies will release toxin that will kill your tank. Add to that list cucumbers (some worse than others) and most members of that fishy family.
Although you are technically correct about the Toxic part, I hear this rarely happens in an aquarium. I was going to ask about it myself as I love cowfish but from what I am reading they rarely release their toxin.

chrisp074
08/22/2008, 01:45 PM
A 120 is not large enough for a Cowfish in my opinion, at 18" long, and just as wide, messy eater, and big pooper it will outgrow this tank rapidly.

Savas
08/22/2008, 01:45 PM
It just isn't worth the uncertainty, hassle, and money. I have not heard of any long-term (more than a year) of success.

sassafrass
08/22/2008, 03:22 PM
They are not the best fish for a begginer to try and keep, also keep in mind that even though they might not crash your tank from stress it is kind of like playing russian roulette so "ya gotta ask your self do ya feel lucky"

agreeive?fish
08/22/2008, 03:26 PM
i had one for several years.. in a fowlr w/ clean up crew...they are not clean up crew friendly

jden092901
08/22/2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your help guys...I will not get one now. I want something really pretty, but different. Any ideas?

Josh

Thanks

kdc527
08/22/2008, 05:32 PM
All the cowfish i have seen they are usually pretty small. I have never seen one in a reef tank. I love them to but i think they belong in a fish only. You could always keep one in your 29 gallon i think or is it too small I'm still a newbie.

agreeive?fish
08/22/2008, 08:29 PM
a 29g is a NO GO for a cow fish.or box fish of any kind...( even them little 1" babies you see for sale which usually croak on you)
1) they grow to about 18"
2) they are messy eaters
3) they are large wate producers
4) if by chance the cow fish gets stressed and releases its toxin it will kill the cow fish in a 29g before you could do enough waterchange to delute it..

neat fish to have and the wife called ours her little alien

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/23/2008, 06:28 AM
I have one. My second over the years, actually. I searched and searched before getting one, and never could find a single instance of an RC member having one actually cause a tank problem due to its toxicity when it dies or is stressed.

IMO, the bigger problem is they get big. Really big. A foot long easy. They do not stay the tiny ones that you get from a store.

They may also eat certain soft corals and crabs, etc, but I've been pretty lucky and mine have only eaten some zoos that I put near its favorite hang out spot.

They like low flow.

Here's a pic showing mine in his preferred spot to hang out in my 120. He is very "friendly" and responsive to people. More than any other fish I've seen. Not at all frightened by people near the tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3491Randys_Tank_March_2__6_.jpg

agreeive?fish
08/23/2008, 08:59 AM
yes they are very friendly.. mine was just like a puppy dog.. would follow me around the room with in the tank, would eat out of my hand( really needed to eat out of my hand because he was not fast enough to compete for food with his tank mates).... i had an advance warning that mine was dying..he started bobbing like a fishing bobber and spinning like a top and i put him in the qt tank(water straight from his tank) but an hour later he was dead...did he release any toxin i dont know as i have no idea. but i did not see any ill effects to my other fish but i also constantly run carbon just incase something like that happens

will i get another one YES but i am looking for a bigger one then the 1-2 inchers you see for sale

tankjunky
08/23/2008, 11:18 AM
Ive had two. I forgot how one died but I remember saveing it once then it just died suddenly. Then my second one got stuck underneath two rock and died. The both of them would always get stuck tho. I would love to get another but im too scared that it will get stuck underneath the realy big rocks I have now and die.

BADGUS
09/01/2008, 11:12 AM
I have a 7inch cowfish,he's a cool fish,just like an underwater puppy.