PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raised True Percs not Hosting

stonecold
08/22/2008, 03:34 PM
Hi All,

I have 2 tank raised True Percs for 2 weeks now. They have not host or come near my anemone. Since these are tank raised, they may not acknowledge the anemone like the wild collected.

Will they ever host? Is there any way that I can "train" them to do so?

Thank you!

wilawalo
08/22/2008, 04:33 PM
I have had my onyx and my picasso for 6 months... not hosting still they have a GBTA and a RBTA they could care less they like corner. I have tried almost everything... sometimes it is not meant to be or they are just not ready.

phender
08/22/2008, 07:27 PM
Percs and ocellaris, whether they are tank raised or not are notorious for not accepting host anemones right away, especially if it is not their natural symbiont.

You didn't say what type of anemone you have. If you have a haddoni carpet, I would let the clowns figure it out themselves as haddonis can eat your clowns if the clown haven't acclimated themselves properly. If you have a BTA, you can try to put everybody in a plastic collander and float it in your tank. The forced proximity sometimes helps. Again, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH A HADDONI CARPET.

lostreefer
08/22/2008, 07:51 PM
my clowns host and are tank raised

stonecold
08/22/2008, 08:04 PM
I have bubble tip. They used to stay in the corners as stated by wilawalo. However, when I came home today I see them hosting a GSP. Hopefully, they will eventually move into the anemone.

PRESTO2345
08/22/2008, 08:27 PM
Give it some more time and try feeding the anemone first or move your feeding tube a little bit closer to your anemone everytime you feed.

lostreefer
08/23/2008, 10:47 PM
you could try removing both clowns and anemone and have them in a seperate tank for a few hours..

Saltz Creep
08/24/2008, 06:12 AM
It is better to buy a clown at a LFS which has proven to host in a nem. It will save lots of time, money, and disappointment in the long run.

dalilgriffith
08/24/2008, 06:48 AM
close proximity sleep arrangements.... meaning putting them in a container at night helps the hosting process. My clowns host within the same day.

prickles
08/26/2008, 09:28 PM
Time seems to be one answer. I had a pair of occelaris take about 6 months to host and a pair of percs take 3 days. All were tank raised.

joe1584
08/26/2008, 09:43 PM
it took my tank raised percs 6 months to host there rbta now they dont leave it only to eat and thats it.