PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep 2 clowns species in my 300 reef?

JIM260
08/22/2008, 09:04 PM
I currently have a 5 yr old, 5" Ocl hosting in a LTA at one end of my "L" shaped 300 with softies and LPS. I an considering adding a BTA with a pair of a different species of clown to the other end of the tank. Can it be done and what species would you recommend that will hold its own with but not be aggressive toward the established Oclelaris?

adtravels
08/23/2008, 02:19 AM
done easily in a tank that size clarks, skunks, tomatos really does not matter with that space skunks would be the super safe bat but bta,s are not their natural host.

JIM260
08/23/2008, 07:51 AM
Thank you for the input. After more thought, I am considering a purple long tentacle (Macrodactyla doreensis) from Blue Zoo Aquatic and a clarkii pair or a brown saddleback pair. Aybody had experince with the PLTA? I have had success with RBTA (spit 15 times before i removed it) and the current Hertactis.

Toddrtrex
08/23/2008, 10:53 AM
How deep is your sandbed? I have found that if it is under 2 inches they won't be all that happy.

Otherwise, PLTAs aren't that hard to keep. The key is to get a healthy one from the get go.

JIM260
08/23/2008, 10:59 AM
actually it is right at 2-2.5 inches. Would you do the clarkiis or the brown saddle backs?

Toddrtrex
08/23/2008, 11:04 AM
Over the years I have had both of those clowns hosted by an LTA, so that won't be an issue. However, both of them can get fairly mean. Granted your tank is fairly large, so that is going to help a lot. I personally think that they both pose about the same amount of risk, so it will come down to which ones you like best.

ginger7286
08/23/2008, 12:47 PM
In a tank that size you will not have a problem with two species of clowns. I have two species of clowns in my 125 and one cspecies is at one end and the other species is at the other. My suggestion though is this: buy the clown and the anemone together, you'll have less squabbling from the other species once they figure out they are there. Good Luck