PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang...

jden092901
08/23/2008, 08:46 AM
Im gong to be setting up a 120...could I have a Naso tang, if so, would it be best to have a female or would a male be ok

reeftreasure
08/23/2008, 08:52 AM
I don't see why not..check out this site for more info regarding this species. Do all the research before you jump into the purchse of this beautiful specimen. A minimum 60 gallon (227 liters) will work temporarily for a juvenile as they are rather slow growers, but an adult will need a minimum 125 gallon (473 liters). Keep in mind that too small of an environment can stunt their growth and they can develop 'behavior problems'. (taken from the website noticed below)
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/naso.php

sassafrass
08/23/2008, 08:57 AM
I know it is a beautiful fish but it is an open water swimmer and needs the longest tank you can provide for swimming room I wouldn't go any smaller than 180 (6") They grow much faster than you could imagine .You will also want to give some time for the tank to stabilize before adding a tang if you hope to be successful in keeping it long term. Go slow and learn - Go fast and learn the hard way.
Best regards , Lee

sassafrass
08/23/2008, 09:06 AM
In freshwater aquaria a small (unclean) aquarium can stunt growth ,fresh water fish can produce a hormone in their urine that inhibits growth it is a survival mechanism. No such mechanism exists in an open environment like the ocean.But they will definitely exhibit behavior problems meaning they will slash other fish with their scalpel (hence the name surgeon fish) when under stress they are more susceptible to disease

joeychitwood
08/23/2008, 09:32 AM
I would say that if you buy a small specimen, you could keep a Naso Tang. If it grew too large for the tank, you could adopt it out to someone with a larger tank.

My experience over the years has been that very often, the fish I keep, while healthy and active, do not grow to expected size in a smaller tank. I've not experienced behavior problems with tangs in other tanks unless I placed two tangs of similar size or body shape together.

DarthSimon
08/23/2008, 10:02 AM
I just put a 6 Inch Blonde in my tank... He is doing ok... Had a bout with some lympho, but it dropped off, and he is staring to do better....
I had a 120, before my 220, and it would have been way to small... That 3-4 inch Naso will be 6 inches within a year. Be careful!!

crvz
08/23/2008, 01:39 PM
I've heard from people who've owned them that they wish they hadnt put it in their 6 ft tank. But, if it were small, I'd probably try it myself, so I'm surely not going to tell you no. Just know that, male or female, you may need to re-home it eventually.

Toddrtrex
08/23/2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't put one in a 120, they just get too big and swim a lot.

Back in the mid '90's a buddy was moving his tank, so I held on to his Naso for a couple of days. It was at least 10" long, in my 55. If I was sitting next to the tank I could hear it swimming back and forth -- less then a second to get to the other end of the tank. The wave that it created when it did that would put any wavebox to shame.

El Diablo
08/23/2008, 02:49 PM
The Naso tang does swim a lot and it is from this fish having natural predators so one of the surgeonfishes defences is to not stay in one location for to long. Plus the Naso tang is a very voracious eater of algae so there is also a lot of comp on a reef. I did have a Naso in my 180 and for the first couple months it was hard he was prone to ick and was scared of my C. wrasse. After those few months went by he gave up and let the wrasse clean him and he was OK. So by this I would say it is risky but can happen it is just sad to pull this beautiful fish out of the ocean and have it die so you really need to be dedicated to it needs.
Good Luck!!

JStorey
08/24/2008, 10:52 AM
I have one about 5-6" in a 10 foot long tank and he swims every inch back and forth all day. I can't imagine he would be happy in a smaller tank.