PDA

View Full Version : hippo tang

x1crt
08/23/2008, 11:07 AM
ive had one in my tank for 2 years now, and after the first year i started to see right next to his eye his skin was coming off,now next to his eye i can see throu his body.

what is happening?
is he gunna die?:(

baselander
08/23/2008, 11:44 AM
sounds like HLLE. Caused by poor nutrition. I would try to mix up the diet a little. They need a lot of plankton and algea. If you feed this fish the same thing everyday it probably does not get what it needs. Try supplimenting with Zoe and Zoecon. It has stopped and reversed hlle ime.

Chibils
08/23/2008, 01:06 PM
What are you feeding him? What are the water parameters? Are you using carbon or phosban?

tangers
08/23/2008, 03:43 PM
He definately has HLLE the way it sounds as someone already mentioned. Although all tangs need LOTS of algae, hippos also need a good supply of meat compared to other tangs. He should be on nori and mysis. (preferably PE mysis). You can mix in some Formula 1 and 2. I would also recommend what baselander said and alternate soaking all food in Zoe and I would recomend Selcon.

tangers
08/23/2008, 03:44 PM
Next time I would try and ask questions before two years go by and before you can see through the fish!

BangkokMatt
08/23/2008, 09:49 PM
Head and Lateral Line Erosion is very easily prevented if you are aware of your Tangs needs.
x1crt - we all stumble across difficulties in this hobby but why have you only posted this problem now, when you first noticed the problem a year ago.
Ensure that your water quality is pristine and feed an appropriate diet of meat and nori and hopefully it will pull through.

x1crt
08/24/2008, 02:28 PM
i feed my fish brine shrimp, cubed cyclops, and flake food.and i mix zoe with them when i feed them..

will the hippo be able to heal its self?
soon im going to put pics of him on here.

Linkblaze
08/24/2008, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13218454#post13218454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by x1crt
i feed my fish brine shrimp, cubed cyclops, and flake food.and i mix zoe with them when i feed them..

will the hippo be able to heal its self?
soon im going to put pics of him on here.

Brine shrimp has no nutritional value and cyclops, while not terrible, is not really intended for marine fish. A good flake food is part of your arsenal in fish feeding, but it looks like to me that fish is not getting nearly enough nutrition.

For starters, get him some Nori on a clip soaked in zoe or selcon (mix these up, they need a vitamin AND fat supplemnent). Get a high quality pellet food, such as Spectrum or Forumula 2. Finally, as others have said get him some mysis shrimp. Try to feed twice a day (I usually do flake/pellet when I'm in a hurry and frozen when I have a bit more time, but I try to make time for frozen once a day) in addition to putting out some Nori for the guy.

x1crt
08/24/2008, 08:09 PM
thank you.

i try to feed them r.lettace but they dont eat it.