PDA

View Full Version : ro/di unit ? please help me out

chris31
08/23/2008, 07:28 PM
hey i have a ro/di unit from the filter guys its the ocean reef +1 unit.its bein sitting for a few months as i left reef for a little after my move but and now getting back into it. So i am going to order all the new filter and stuff but my concern was the membrane. Should i order a new one????

trippkid
08/23/2008, 07:44 PM
If you didn't store it in the fridge in a baggie of water, I'd say yes to ordering a new membrane.
Matt

chris31
08/23/2008, 07:55 PM
ok matt i have another ? for you since i didnt do either one of those then how the **** do i get the membrane out of the plastic housing????

trippkid
08/23/2008, 08:05 PM
Very carefully with a pair of needle nose pliers, would be what I would try. You may need a buddy to help hold the housing while you pull on the membrane. Good luck
Matt

chris31
08/23/2008, 08:14 PM
ok thanks matt i got it.....umm but i got a few more ?'s for you how long can the membrane sit without use????? and when using the system should you use cold or hot water???? thanks chris

block head
08/23/2008, 08:30 PM
cold, filter guys have great customer service,website is great they are more than willing to answer questions email or phone

trippkid
08/23/2008, 08:37 PM
If you pull it out and store it in RO water in the fridge, I would like to say indefinitely, but I'm sure there is a limit, IDK for sure, but a couple of months to a yr. should not a be problem. Optimum temp. for RO's is around 75-77 degrees, most people just use the cold line, but you could use a mix, just be careful not to exceed temps. of 100 and above, it will damage the membrane. If you are not using a water softener too, there will be more contaminants in the hot line coming from the hot water heater, so it may clog up the membrane faster, I can't say for sure, I just use my cold line, and I do have a water softener for the house. I guess my water going in to the unit is about 60-65 degrees. Hope this helps. Any more ???'s, please feel free to ask, I'll help with what I can.
Matt

chris31
08/24/2008, 07:01 AM
thanks for all your help matt well since my basement is under construction where i am going to be putting in a 180 with a fish room until that is done i an going to hook my ro/di system to the hose and make water as needed since for now ill only be making for my new nano tank (29g) i ordered a hose adapter from the filter guys but when my basement is done it will permently be hooked up

trippkid
08/24/2008, 09:55 AM
No problem, glad to help out when I can. Feel free to PM in the future if you want to. Have a good rest of the weekend.
Matt